80% lower crackdown - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > 80% lower crackdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

Quote:
I have seen them at gun shows and in gun stores. not an everyday item mind you, but apparently with Ares they are.
Ironic. You live in very restrictive California, and they are more common there, as opposed to NH, which is very much more open to such things. I'm thinkin' I might need to get on the ball and buy at least one 80%, even if I don't finish it now....

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

So called "80 percent" lowers have become an industry in CA. Companies were renting out CNC machines already programmed to finish machine the lowers. Folks would pool their funds, rent a CNC machine and finish their lowers. Some of those rental businesses were raided by the BATFE as well.

Ares advertised building untraceable AR-15 rifles in CA, a state witn an "assault weapons ban".

Quote:
Team 10 purchased a piece of aluminum and watched as it was turned into a receiver for an AR-15. It can take four or five hours to do this, depending on how busy the shop is. Inside that machine shop is a computer-controlled milling machine that cuts out the aluminum.

What Team 10 ended up with was a receiver that can have parts added to it, such as the trigger, the barrel, the stock and the magazine. Team 10 fired the AR-15 at a nearby range when the receiver was finished and it worked just fine.
http://www.10news.com/home/homepage-showcase/people-line-up-to-legally-make-untraceable-guns
Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
So called "80 percent" lowers have become an industry in CA. Companies were renting out CNC machines already programmed to finish machine the lowers. Folks would pool their funds, rent a CNC machine and finish their lowers. Some of those rental businesses were raided by the BATFE as well.

Ares advertised building untraceable AR-15 rifles in CA, a state witn an "assault weapons ban".

http://www.10news.com/home/homepage-showcase/people-line-up-to-legally-make-untraceable-guns
80% lowers have been around for several years now. the BATF has known about them and has said they were not firearms, but in their opinion, a piece of metal. so now polymer lowers are becoming available and now they seem to be crawfishing on their own definition of what's a firearm or not.

if what was shown and written is true, then the BATF went way overboard and did this the wrong way. if they wanted to change the definition, then they should have gone about this much differently. them breaking into that store and taking the computers and trying to get customer lists of who bought hem was way to heavy handed and i hope they are held accountable for their actions.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
the BATF has known about them and has said they were not firearms, but in their opinion, a piece of metal.
The BATFE has said some of them are a lump of metal. Others are being sold by folks who never bothered to get a BATFE opinion on their version of "80 percent" lower.

Anyone who sells an "80 percent" lower without the blessing of the BATFE is an idiot. Solution: Get the thing blessed by the BATFE first.

http://scripps-cms.endplay.com/documents/10933/0/ATF+letters+regarding+manufacturing+guns.jpg/82837cb1-3db5-4c1e-8217-e67b4fe898c0?t=1353277792420
Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #45

Liked 1212 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I wish I could change the laws but I can't and with that said, alsaqr's advice seems to be the best, get BATFE approval prior to selling.

If the dual polymer is the issue then take that to an extreme. I make an aluminum lower that has Playdo stuffed in the holes so its not a lower, should that be legal to sell without registration or SN when the law says that completed stripped lowers must be registered and have a SN?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

The specific 80% lowers that are sold by Ares are built by EP Armory in Bakersfield CA. They have letters from the BATFE stating that their products are not firearms.

Yes, the 80% lowers are popular here because of the many restrictions we have in this state. It is a burgeoning industry, at least until they close the door on it. I am sure that will not be taken lying down though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The specific 80% lowers that are sold by Ares are built by EP Armory in Bakersfield CA.
Yep, EP Armory was raided by the BATFE on March 7, 2014.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/federal-officers-searching-bakersfield-business-and-home-030714

Quote:
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched a business and Bakersfield home Friday.

EP Armory is owned by Chris Cook. The business opened a storefront March 1 on District Boulevard near Gosford Road.

The store was closed today while agents searched it.

A home belonging to Chris Cook on Holabird Avenue was also searched.
Quote:
They have letters from the BATFE stating that their products are not firearms.
Maybe so, maybe not. Maybe EP changed the product. Maybe the bureaucrats at the BATFE changed thir minds; who knows!!!

Last edited by alsaqr; 03-17-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 410 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 816

I posted this in the conspiracy forum on Jan. 23, 2013. Maybe my friend didnt have his hat on as tight as I thought. LOL

80% lower machinists equipment seized ?
I have a friend (who is a certified tin foil hat guy) that told me he heard the BATFE was raiding home machinists and seizing machinery and log books that contain the names of people who rented the machinery to make AR lowers.
I have not heard of this or found any evidence on the news, papers, or internet. Has anyone heard of this or should I tell him his hat is on too tight?

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I have a friend (who is a certified tin foil hat guy) that told me he heard the BATFE was raiding home machinists and seizing machinery and log books that contain the names of people who rented the machinery to make AR lowers.
Your friend is right. A few machine shops were raided. Folks were renting CNC machines that were programmed to complete the lower receivers.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 222

As like most things, there's more to the story.