80% lower crackdown - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > 80% lower crackdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is why you should only pay cash for something like that band never have it shaped to your home

Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #32

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Well, ideally, yeah. But how many of us can run out to the LGS and buy a 80% lower? I have never seen one, it seems to be largely an internet thing.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Well, ideally, yeah. But how many of us can run out to the LGS and buy a 80% lower? I have never seen one, it seems to be largely an internet thing.
I have seen them at gun shows and in gun stores. not an everyday item mind you, but apparently with Ares they are.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3194

Some companies advertise "95 percent" lowers.

i can't understand the concept of paying a very high price for a piece of aluminum that requires a lot of drilling and/or machining. You can spend $20-40 more and get a high quality finished lower receiver.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Some companies advertise "95 percent" lowers.

i can't understand the concept of paying a very high price for a piece of aluminum that requires a lot of drilling and/or machining. You can spend $20-40 more and get a high quality finished lower receiver.
Never seen a 95% lower advertised or on sale anywhere. can you provide a link?

On second thought I don't think so. Never mind.

As to why? Well, I want to. I like the idea of having a non-serialized gun that I have built myself (more or less). It may not be entirely home-built but it is better than nothing.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3194

Quote:
Never seen a 95% lower advertised or on sale anywhere. can you provide a link?
Done:

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/lower-receivers/asa-m4-ar-15-95-percent-lower-receiver/

Quote:
On second thought I don't think so. Never mind.
Too late.

Ares did a grave disservice to their customers. Ares advertised and sold those polymer lowers knowing full well the BATFE had heartburn with them. Now every person who bought a polymer lower from Ares is in violation of federal law.

There is a lesson here: Get the "80 percent" lower blessed by the BATFE before selling the things.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Done:

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/lower-receivers/asa-m4-ar-15-95-percent-lower-receiver/

Too late.

Ares did a grave disservice to their customers. Ares advertised and sold those polymer lowers knowing full well the BATFE had heartburn with them. Now every person who bought a polymer lower from Ares is in violation of federal law.

There is a lesson here: Get the "80 percent" lower blessed by the BATFE before selling the things.
Regardless of whether the BATFE has heartburn over them the fact remains that they are not functional firearms by anyone's definition and more importantly the definition has never been made. A lower receiver is not a functioning firearm. That is what really gives the Feds heartburn if you ask me. It is like saying that you can register a car using a license plate and an engine block.

Quote:
Shade Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #38

Liked 56 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 133

For the most recent information on the Ares story, go here. Watch that blog for information from sources inside the investigation. Information will be coming fast & furious over the next few days. If you read that link you will better understand what will follow shortly once it's published. There's a full-court press to make Ares the next ATF scapegoat, not because they've done anything illegal, but because they've made political enemies, one being one of their gun-grabbing Senators in CA, Diane Feinstein. If she, Obama and the ATF get what they want, 80% lowers will be a thing of the past, all because Ares got too creative and came up with a way to color-code their plastic molds to make it easy and inexpensive to Dremel out the lowers to completion instead of having to do milling or send it out to a machine shop.

Read the link and then watch the blog, and you'll understand what I'm saying. Just clicking on this link will give you a hint as to one reason Feinstein is pissed at 'em: SenatorFeinstein.com LOL

Blues

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to Police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
People Like This 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if the BATF has no clear definitions of what comprises an 80% lower, then this is their fault in leaving it so ambigious as to leave it wide open for interpretation by the manufacterers. again this is a failing on their part for not making it clear.

their tactics and approach are a bit heavy handed and stinks of political underhandedness. and those politicians should be ashamed of themselves for using the BATF as their hired guns. because if nyone is found to be in violation on the governments behalf in this, it will fall into the BATF camp, not the politicians who used them as their hired guns.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #40

I think Ares should get the ACLU involved, if not for the Second Amendment violations that have taken place but the First and Fourth. The ACLU is damned proficient at defending all cases that are not singularly built around the individual right to bear arms.

Hey, it could just work.

Quote:
People Like This