80% lower crackdown - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

80% lower crackdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

According to the constitution a gun maker doesn't need serial numbers or government forms to sell guns...

Its unfortunate we have existed as a nation for 55 years under a supreme court that has no clue as to what our founding documemts mean. Or maybe they do, and its actually meaning just gets in the way of tyranny.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
My name? Sure. Wolf. Theron J. Wolf. Address? 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Mocking Bird Heights, CA (google it). My wife is shopping and took the credit card, but I have cash.
that's a fake address sir! Herman Munster lives at that address!
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
The term "80 percent lower" is a figment of someone's imaginative marketing ploy. The BATFE has never defined the term. The BATFE rules that the "unfinished" lower meets it's definition of a firearm receiver or not. Yep, the BATFE will not say how that is accomplished.

A good read on the polymer lower:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543665
everything i have read about the 80% lowers is that the BATF doesn't classify them as a firearm, and to them it's nothing but a chunk of metal, so no 4473 is required per law.

now i have to add this in as i have no real dealing or understanding of it, and if anyone can add further information good, but is it that the polymer lowers are different than the metal lowers and that is where they are getting the heat over with those lowers? again i have no idea.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #24

Liked 103 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

From what I have seen on 80% lowers there are 3-4 basic types.
1) A metal one whether it be of Aluminum or some other metal. It is nearly impossible to clean out unless you have a good milling machine. The jigs for them are real handy also. The jig also helps in getting the trigger and safety holes aligned properly.

2) A single color polymer. Again a real good idea to have a decent milling machine with the jigs. The jig also helps in getting the trigger and safety holes aligned properly.

3) A dual color polymer. These can be done with a basic drill or dremel with patience. Just take out the odd color plastic and drill a few holes. The holes are marked on most of these but have read of some not being aligned properly.

4) The fourth one I have seen is slabs of metal that need to be welded together. Everything is supposed to already be drilled and aligned. Just depends on your skill as a welder.

As a Citizen of this country we are allowed to build guns for our personnel use. These do not need to be serialized though it is advisable to have some kind of identification on them to say it is your if stolen. This can be done without and kind of license. Now if you do sell it then you must have a FFL for manufacturing, selling, and serialize the new weapon.

Now to get a few 80% lowers whether they are metal or poly. Then when they come for my Oly I will just give them the lower since that is the only portion that is classified as a weapon according to the BATFE.
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2293 Times on 1364 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

The irony here is there is NO violation of LAW!!!! These 'agents of the government' have been allowed to make up the 'rules' as they see fit. The BATFE is not different than the EPA and others who have totally over reached the LIMITED authority they were given by congress by making up the 'regulations' as THEY see fit. This whole procedure is TOTALY UNCONSTUTIONAL !!!!!!
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2571 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 4081

Quote:
everything i have read about the 80% lowers is that the BATF doesn't classify them as a firearm, and to them it's nothing but a chunk of metal, so no 4473 is required per law.

Yep, that is true. However, bear in mind that the BATFE is the agency that rules on the matter. The BATFE has never defined an "80 percent" receiver. They will tell the machine shop if their proposed "80 percent" receiver is legal or not; that's it.

Yep, we can cry "tyranny" and "unconstitutional" until the cows come home: It will make no difference until the cowardly US congress intervenes. During the Fast and Furious hearings the congress had an opportunity to reform the BATFE and they refused.
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #27

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
My name? Sure. Wolf. Theron J. Wolf.
Dang, man, cut me a break, would ya?
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

So what happens in a Republic when
laws are ignored by the government?

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #29

Liked 1416 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
So what happens in a Republic when
laws are ignored by the government?
More laws are passed saying that we better follow the law and that other branches of the government must enforce those laws.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #30

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
Now to get a few 80% lowers whether they are metal or poly. Then when they come for my Oly I will just give them the lower since that is the only portion that is classified as a weapon according to the BATFE.
Now +1, I totally agree with you on that. But something tells me it would not go down like that. I suppose it would depend on the exact circumstances. Say you had a stripped lower hanging around, and they took/you gave them that. Might they want to know where the "rest" is? I bet they would. What if the "rest" was not on the property? What if there WAS NO "rest"? 90% chance that would suck for you.

On the 80% term...I was not aware that was not an ATF term. But it's still a good description. It sounds like it is/was a trade name that everybody adopted. Like Sawsall. I bet somebody figured out that the machining that is done is close to 80%, and that sounds good, so that's what they called it. Just marketing, not a marketing ploy.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 03-16-2014 at 09:34 PM.