80% lower crackdown - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

80% lower crackdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
My name? Sure. Wolf. Theron J. Wolf. Address? 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Mocking Bird Heights, CA (google it). My wife is shopping and took the credit card, but I have cash.
The poor guy living there has bought 80% lowers, 100-round magazines and full-auto parts...without ever knowing it!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

On the face of it; I cannot imagine what the ATF would have to say about the polymer lowers. Wouldn't they have had to approve of them first?
And someone said Ares is poking a rattlesnake with a short stick, which I agree with. They have been going around doing so much yelling over their sign....I get 10 or more E-mails from them a week, the You Tube videos.....someone was bound to notice, and start giving them some crap....What good is any of this going to do them, if the ATF just goes in and shuts them down?
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #13

Liked 103 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Isn't that Herman and Lily's place?

It's my understanding that 80% lowers are not registered to begin with, so if you pay cash there should not be a record of it anyway. Now if they are completing the lowers themselves, then selling them, now they must have a serial number of some kind and be transferred like any other completed lower.

Last edited by wknight40; 03-16-2014 at 12:27 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 597 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

That's messed up!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #15

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

I also believe they're not the only ones to sell the polymer lowers.
And if it's about their sign that is just stupid.
sign has nothing illegal about it.

EZ

Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #16

Liked 371 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 70

They'll never say it was about the sign.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 363 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yes, this is extremely troubling. They took the customer logs. I wonder what the requirement is for recording each and every customer's personal information for an 80% lower? My inclination as a customer would be to not provide the information and pay in cash.
If they took the A&D book then the customer's name and NICS # are all that's in that book. However, I believe the ATF can reference that NICS number to information input into the NICS system such as: name, age, state of residence, height, weight, social, place of birth, and type of firearm.

If the ATF took the actual 4473 Ares keeps on file then they'll have the customer's actuall physical address and driver's license number.

With 80% lowers the only information the ATF can get about customers is what Ares put into their book keeping software since a 4473 is not necessary for the purchase of an 80% lower.
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #18

Liked 1416 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
I also believe they're not the only ones to sell the polymer lowers.
And if it's about their sign that is just stupid.
sign has nothing illegal about it.

EZ
Did they do something else to make it even easier? I thought I read something about 2 different types of polymer being used by them so that it was incredibly easy to complete the lower because the drill almost stopped itself when it hit the thicker polymer.

This may not be true and may be internet rumors.

Also I heard that there was an illegal gun manufacturing ring busted in California and they had a lot of Ares parts so this may not be directed at Poly lowers but they could be under investigation for possibly knowingly supporting an illegal gun manufacturer. Again this is just internet rumor that I'm hearing and I don't have any news articles to support it.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

If only our government overlords could get rid of that pesky shall not be infringed part of the second ammendment... oh nm the supreme court ignores it anyway. Nothing to see here
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1419 Posts
Likes Given: 4086

The term "80 percent lower" is a figment of someone's imaginative marketing ploy. The BATFE has never defined the term. The BATFE rules that the "unfinished" lower meets it's definition of a firearm receiver or not. Yep, the BATFE will not say how that is accomplished.

A good read on the polymer lower:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543665

Last edited by alsaqr; 03-16-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Yunus Likes This