2nd Amendment-less: a disturbing story - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > 2nd Amendment-less: a disturbing story

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jamesb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 405
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

This is just nuts...I wonder where were going to be in ten years when the law is telling us we can't protect ourselves.

__________________

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

jamesb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
In Australia you could be charged with murder, manslaughter, or illegal discharge of a weapon with intent to cause grevious bodily harm at the very least, depending on how the district public prosecutor viewed the case. Even having a dog could be no protection - dog rips crim apart it would be euthanased, no doubt resulting in "possession of a dangerous dog" charge.

PLUS using a firearm for an illegal purpose...lose all your guns, your licence forever and get a probable jail term into the bargain. Naturally crims will illegal weapons to start with end up with more lenient treatment

The crim could possibly charge YOU as well, if he lived.
Right, exactly. So what's the incentive to call the cops at all then?
__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 413
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Exclamation

Hmmm..... how close are you to where the Salties are.....?

I am a quick ten minute drive to the swamp - I know where the BIG gators are...... <cue local newsreport> "Remains of man found in local swamp, victim of alligator attack - more news at eleven!"



Of course here in sunny Florida, I am perfectly within the law to protect self and home. Just make him turn to face me before shooting the scum. A crowbar is a dandy weapon - I feared for my life........

__________________
Bigdog57 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Right, exactly. So what's the incentive to call the cops at all then?
Well that is a moot point isn't it, bkt. Personally though, living in a block of flats anything a bit overt is going to be heared and probably reported. So you get that visit from the cops either way. Hence there's the problem of explaining how you managed to unlock the safe key box & then the safe, unlock the separate ammo cabinet, load, all before an intruder gets 2ft into the room And if you happened to have a firearm already loaded you'd go down faster than a Kings Cross hooker lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
Hmmm..... how close are you to where the Salties are.....?

I am a quick ten minute drive to the swamp - I know where the BIG gators are...... <cue local newsreport> "Remains of man found in local swamp, victim of alligator attack - more news at eleven!"


Of course here in sunny Florida, I am perfectly within the law to protect self and home. Just make him turn to face me before shooting the scum. A crowbar is a dandy weapon - I feared for my life........
Alas, I'm several 1000kms from any salties, Bigdog heh. Nice idea though. I was talking about this to my half brother in England; he was a pub landlord for many years and this was his advice:

One of my regulars was a firearms officer locally. His advice was - make sure you kill them so there is no arguing about compensation and shoot them in the front so it can be argued they were coming for you. Then put one of your kitchen knives or a craft knife in their hand and make sure there are lots of fingerprints on it.

I know he once surprised a burgular who had broken in downstairs, armed himself with a pump action (you can still have those in the UK) and all it took was a yelled warning and a "ker-chunk!" chambering and the guy took off...leaving a large knife he had pinched from the pub's kitchen. Can't argue with a shottie
__________________

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Swampbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 96
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
In Australia you could be charged with murder, manslaughter, or illegal discharge of a weapon with intent to cause grevious bodily harm at the very least, depending on how the district public prosecutor viewed the case. Even having a dog could be no protection - dog rips crim apart it would be euthanased, no doubt resulting in "possession of a dangerous dog" charge.

PLUS using a firearm for an illegal purpose...lose all your guns, your licence forever and get a probable jail term into the bargain. Naturally crims will illegal weapons to start with end up with more lenient treatment

The crim could possibly charge YOU as well, if he lived.
What has happened in Australia is very similar as what has happened in England...the citizens have allowed their governments to not only ban many of their firearms, and heavily regulate the others, but have also allowed their politicians to legislate away their natural, God-given rights of self defense. That really shows a complete lack of respect for the populace by elitist politicians.

Basicaly, it is near illegal for them to defend themselves from personal attack...the criminal truely has more rights than the victim...especially in England.

Truly tragic, and unless Americans remain ever vigilant and push back strongly against ANY and ALL anti-self defense legislation, I'm convinced there are politicans in America who would have us in the same situation.


Regards,

Swampbilly
__________________

Last edited by Swampbilly; 01-31-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Swampbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
What has happened in Australia is very similar as what has happened in England...the citizens have allowed their governments to not only ban many of their firearms, and heavily regulate the others, but have also allowed their politicians to legislate away their natural, God-given rights of self defense. That really shows a complete lack of respect for the populace by elitist politicians.

Basicaly, it is near illegal for them to defend themselves from personal attack...the criminal truely has more rights than the victim...especially in England.

Truly tragic, and unless Americans remain ever vigilant and push back strongly against ANY and ALL anti-self defense legislation, I'm convinced there are politicans in America who would have us in the same situation.


Regards,

Swampbilly


There most probably are US politicians with the same designs on trashing your rights in mind...but the point is they are RECOGNISED AS INNATE RIGHTS to start with, so you have something concrete to defend with. Might seem strange, but Australia has no Bill of Rights and we are not considered to be born with the right to bear arms (which your 2nd Amendment says "shall not be infringed" by Govt). We don't even have a written, codified right to free speech. All the Aust Constitution guarantees is

1) the right to be judged by your peers
2) the right not to have a religion imposed on you by the State.

And that's the sum total of our 'rights' in law.


Unlike America, shooters represented such a small percentage of the population and a marginalised one at that - that there was either almost total agreement or a noncommittal 'don't care' view in the wider community that the 1996 bans were all for the common good. The way shooters were hounded and demonised by practically every media outlet at that time still lingers in many quarters today. Its not as though any more than about 5% of the adult (not total) population was affected as shooters. Compare that with the number of firearm owners in the US and there is no contest...you have numbers behind you to try and thwart any Govt oppression.

Not to mention a social history of such thwarting!



I know England is getting bad; there's a running joke that knife-wielding chavs roaming the streets are simply taking part in a community youth diversion scheme
__________________

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colfax,Washington
Posts: 46
Default

yeah its not just England, in Belgium there are hardly gun rights, its not as bad as England or Australia but they don't have a right to defend themselves against attackers with lethal or non lethal force, this part hurts me to say it but my wife wasn't able to defend herself against a rapist, also when her crazy dad came rolling around, so the first 16 years of her life she was living in fear. So at least when it comes to around where I live, guy is threatening you in your own house kill the bastard "dead men tell no tales"

__________________

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

You cant go to war against the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly...

ApacheBunny is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Memphis.,TN
Posts: 240
Default

One of these days the whole family of a prominent personality will be murdered in the UK or Australia.

This basically happened in CT several months ago except that the father barely survived.

This was in the daytime, and the difference will be that the victims over there have no legal method to protect themselves against career criminals.

__________________
Laufer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,512
Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Default

Yanno, the first thing LE sanctimoniously blathers if you don't call them first is

"Why didn't you call us?" somehow responding with "Well, because of my

prior experience with LEOs of the last 35 years, I have no valid reason to

depend upon,trust, or respect you..." DOESN'T SEEM TO SINK IN .

I selected where I live now, because this state has Castle Doctrine, and issues CWPs.

__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 02-09-2011 at 06:58 PM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PrimePorkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Urbana,Illinois
Posts: 1,748
Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default

in my opinion, the best thing a person can do is learn their local laws, that way you can formulate a plan of action in case something ever were to happen. I don't want someone to break into my house - but like the original posts story, I too came very close to having someone come through my sliding glass door, they were scared away and later caught by the police though...but don't kid yourself that i was not literally setting in the dark with my gun, ready to shoot.

I don't take pleasure in the idea, but I do take pleasure in justice. And sending some scum ball to jail for a night, and out on bail the next day for breaking into a law abiding citizens home is NOT Justice.

you can use this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine - as a starting point if you're interested

Of course, don't trust everything you read on Wikipedia...find it on your states .gov website (or call someone) and verify it before you ever put it to practice.

__________________

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 02-15-2011 at 12:43 PM.
PrimePorkchop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
This is disturbing M14sRock Legal and Activism 14 08-20-2010 04:01 PM
This is disturbing hunter Joe The Club House 5 02-16-2010 05:54 PM
first time at a new range.. very disturbing passnthru2 Range Report 2 09-28-2009 02:41 AM
Both Disturbing and Informative Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 10-14-2008 09:17 PM
Some disturbing information... pioneer461 Politics, Religion and Controversy 30 12-05-2007 05:02 AM