Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > 2nd Amendment Debate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 530 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 2836

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
As a matter of fact, I believe 18 year olds should be allowed to drink legally. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Fine with that.

Quote:
We're just going to have to agree to disagree, in terms of the bold part.
I can agree to that.

But trust me, in about 10 years, you'll change your mind.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3626 Times on 2255 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Let me be clear guys. I believe people mature with age (duh!). An 18 year old is less mature than a 25 year old (generally) and a 25 is less than a 40 year old.

I think 18 year olds should be allowed to purchase a handgun, but they have to be able to demonstrate maturity and responsibility. For example, require them to take a more extensive handgun safety course than 21 year olds (for example). Do a local background check (since everyone our society is so ok with background checks anyway...) and if they have certain types of police involvement (time in Juvenile Hall, violent crimes, etc), they are excluded from being allowed to purchase ANY firearm.

In my opionion, handguns are ONLY different than long guns because they are concealable. They are less powerful and able to do less damage, so if anything they are SAFER than long guns.

An 18 year old with no record and up until this point a seemingly normal kid walks into a gun store and buys an AR15 and a bunch of ammo and magazines, and the next day goes to a soft-zone and starts shooting is no different than a 30 year old doing the same thing. The 30 year old might even choose to use a handgun over the AR15 because it is easier to conceal and therefore easier to start the crime. But it is inherently weaker so the 18 year old with the AR15 might even be more POTENT than the 30 year old who chooses to buy a handgun.

See where I'm going?

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
I can agree to that.

But trust me, in about 10 years, you'll change your mind.
I'm not so sure I will. Just because I am more mature doesn't mean 18 year olds are less mature than I was when I was 18.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

I'm not so sure I will. Just because I am more mature doesn't mean 18 year olds are less mature than I was when I was 18.
Well, I wasn't fully mature at 18. But at that time, most of the 18y/o were more mature than the ones I've come across in the last 15 years.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Let me be clear guys. I believe people mature with age (duh!). An 18 year old is less mature than a 25 year old (generally) and a 25 is less than a 40 year old.

I think 18 year olds should be allowed to purchase a handgun, but they have to be able to demonstrate maturity and responsibility. For example, require them to take a more extensive handgun safety course than 21 year olds (for example). Do a local background check (since everyone our society is so ok with background checks anyway...) and if they have certain types of police involvement (time in Juvenile Hall, violent crimes, etc), they are excluded from being allowed to purchase ANY firearm.

In my opionion, handguns are ONLY different than long guns because they are concealable. They are less powerful and able to do less damage, so if anything they are SAFER than long guns.

An 18 year old with no record and up until this point a seemingly normal kid walks into a gun store and buys an AR15 and a bunch of ammo and magazines, and the next day goes to a soft-zone and starts shooting is no different than a 30 year old doing the same thing. The 30 year old might even choose to use a handgun over the AR15 because it is easier to conceal and therefore easier to start the crime. But it is inherently weaker so the 18 year old with the AR15 might even be more POTENT than the 30 year old who chooses to buy a handgun.

See where I'm going?
But, who decides what the standards are for proving maturity and responsibility?

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #56

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

As a matter of fact, I believe 18 year olds should be allowed to drink legally. But that's a discussion for another thread.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, in terms of the bold part.
I feel this day and time the majority of 18 to 20 year olds live with Mom and Dad and its on the parents to protect them!! And just my personal opinion, if your man enough or mature enough to own and or buy a handgun you should be allowed the right to carry or conceal!! Should be all one right! A guns effectiveness and personal value is greatly diminished if it is limited to a gun safe collecting dust!! I will not own it or buy it if I can't carry it!! No disrespect to all the wonderful gun collectors out there, that obviously have the luxury to collect fancy steel!! Just not me!!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

Well, I wasn't fully mature at 18. But at that time, most of the 18y/o were more mature than the ones I've come across in the last 15 years.
I can understand where you're coming from. I still don't believe in punishing people because of something someone else did. Or didn't do. I don't believe in restricting people who haven't f****d up. How can they possibly prove they are ready for something unless they're given the opportunity to do so?

Who are we to judge that a whole age group of people wouldn't be responsible, mature, firearms owners?

I don't believe its our place, just like its not the politicians place to limit how many rounds we can have in our magazines (as civilians).

In my mind, limiting someone based on their age is inextricably tied to gun control in general.

And I honestly believe saying an 18 y/o can't buy a handgun is just a part of the liberal gun control agenda. The thing is, we're all so indoctrinated (maybe brainwashed is a better word?) that we accept that 18 year olds aren't mature enough to buy a gun. I think its part of the bullsh*t liberal gun control agenda.

I'm not saying anything against you, bear in mind. I believe your opinions are based off your experiences, especially in the military. I'm just talking people in general.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

But, who decides what the standards are for proving maturity and responsibility?
Exactly.

Maybe a simple background check? Facts on paper are not subjective.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I feel this day and time the majority of 18 to 20 year olds live with Mom and Dad and its on the parents to protect them!! And just my personal opinion, if your man enough or mature enough to own and or buy a handgun you should be allowed the right to carry or conceal!! Should be all one right!
So an 18 year old is always going to be walking down the street with mommy and daddy at night? Oh and mommy and daddy will always be there to protect Little Johnny when he goes off to college?

Always have clean socks.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #60

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Exactly.

Maybe a simple background check? Facts on paper are not subjective.
If you move it down to 18!! Don't be surprised to hear the 16 year old protest "why not me" come on guys do you really want the average 18 year old playing with guns!! We all been that age!! When we found a hobby we obsessed with it!! Example "cars" most of us spent endless hours obsessing on how to make it better and faster!! Teenagers struggle with moderation and maturity, especially males!! As far as background checks that doesn't hold water either!! Most are two young to have a criminal past!! Let our kids enjoy there youth!! They can find plenty of trouble without the help of owning or carrying a gun, that's for sure!!