A 10-year-old boy arrested for toy gun - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > A 10-year-old boy arrested for toy gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7159 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 7911

The dynamic of "what was" and "what is" are different all the way around. If you had a LEO walking the beat in the 60's, he likely knew everyone on his beat and was well aware of the ones to watch out for. Thats not the case anymore, a LEO in a Car see's half a city in a night not just the 4 blocks he knows like the back of his hand.

The thing that hasnt changed is that you never ever point a gun toy or real at anyone unless they are part of the "game" or an actual threat otherwise you cannot have an expectation that they wont respond with a real gun with real bullets, baseball bat or grenade.

You dont have to experience something to learn from it. Kids kill, every day, just like adults, with guns, with cars and as thousands of victims of terrorism found out in Israel and our troops experienced in Vietnam- they will strap a bomb on their torso or walk a live grenade into the middle of an unwary crowd and kill everyone including themselves because their mentor told them to.

Those trying to parse petunias when it comes to bad and good guns should heed some advice I was given many years ago, any gun is a "bad gun" when its pointed at you or your loved ones, any gun that can be used to stop the advancing threat dead in its tracks is a "good gun"! These points dont come with age appropriate exclusions, you move from Juvenal to Adult threat Status instantaneously when your perceived as an immediate threat to life and limb.

"Teach Your Children Well" and they may have a chance to make you a proud Grand Parent someday, otherwise you might be visiting them in prison or a Boneyard!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #42

Liked 252 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A kid carrying a toy AK-47 got shot and killed recently - by a policeman who had 24 years experience .
I remember a case years ago in which a man pointed a BB gun version of a Colt SAA at a friend and said, " Now I've got you " . The friend drew a .32 ACP pistol and shot the joker in the hip .

The police are forced to be on alert these days because of unpredictable criminals . Human beings cannot properly assess a situation in the time they have in which to decide to shoot or not . It therefore makes sense to confine toy gunplay to the interior of the house... or to eliminate it .
The NRA says to use toy guns to teach proper gun handling to kids .

One time I was in a building lobby with other people around. A little boy was playing with a toy revolver and the muzzle ended up covering me . Forgetting that the rules of firearms safety do not apply to toy guns, I reprimanded the little fellow, " Could you point that thing in a safe direction ? "

Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1276 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Just the fact that it was a 10 year old kid should have been reason enough for the officer to evaluate the situation before taking hasty action. I'm an old geezer, and in the '40s and '50s when I was growing up, anybody would've immediately assumed it was a toy, just by seeing the kid. They would've just ignored him or maybe "played dead", then gone on their way.
But times have changed. Those who are jokingly referred to as "parents" don't even bother to teach their kids about safety. They leave their illegally obtained guns where the kids can get ahold of them, and the kids have not been taught about gun safety. It's a difficult call to make, but if I were the officer, I'd been more inclined to just say hello to the kid and go on my way.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #44

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

All those saying it should've been different, did you watch the video?

Very easy to assume everyone overreacted until you see them intentionally intimidating innocent people.

Had I been there and been armed, I would've shot the ****er. And this is coming from a guy who ENCOURAGES his kid to play with toy guns. They're great teaching aids and promote familiarity.

Edit to add: of course I would've felt terrible about it later, and would be second guessing myself for the rest of my life. But the gun is very realistic looking and his actions were very obviously intended to intimidate. My first thought upon watching the video was that he was trying to rob people.

Last edited by trip286; 11-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1276 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Just the fact that it was a 10 year old kid should have been reason enough for the officer to evaluate the situation before taking hasty action. I'm an old geezer, and in the '40s and '50s when I was growing up, anybody would've immediately assumed it was a toy, just by seeing the kid. They would've just ignored him or maybe "played dead", then gone on their way.
But times have changed. Those who are jokingly referred to as "parents" don't even bother to teach their kids about safety. They leave their illegally obtained guns where the kids can get ahold of them, and the kids have not been taught about gun safety. It's a difficult call to make, but if I were the officer, I'd been more inclined to just say hello to the kid and go on my way.
Correction: After watching the video again, I don't understand why the kid was made to go and "turn himself in". Why should a little kid on a little bicycle playing with a toy gun be considered a major threat? Seem like a hysterical reaction to a non-event.