Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > A 10-year-old boy arrested for toy gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

C&P from Code of Virginia, 18.2-282 B.

Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.

Translation- point what appears to be a real gun at a cop here, get shot, you or your heirs are not going to be able to sue the cop.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 397 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Here's a pic of a C02 bb gun I use for practice. It's made of metal and from a few feet you cannot tell the difference between it and a firearm. The young boy learned a valuable lesson. I hope he's smart enough to remember it.

bbgun.jpg  

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #13

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Default Great freakin' parenting part 2....

We can all look back fondly on the innocence of our own childhood toys & experiences ... But what HAS changed since then is the lack of personal responsibility and the parenting dynamic. Here's another case of children who should have had an @$$ whoopin' some time back;
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/26/17928508-2-girls-threaten-to-kill-classmates-in-youtube-video-authorities-say?lite=&43001=

...and before you go there, Yes.. I am a parent. He's a great kid... I've had to spank him 3 times his entire childhood (he's 11 now so do the math...) and he's growing into a responsible, caring person who knows he can come to me with anything and everything.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
I'll leave these from the 60's and 70's. I had the 1st and the 5th, a cousin had the 4th one and the kid next door to me had the 2nd one.
Wow! Things were different back then though. I am also sure cops knew they were not real. Today, we live in a different world. Things have changed so much. The family was different, morals, values, respect, citizenship and parenting. Good conservative beliefs is dying away.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Wow! Things were different back then though. I am also sure cops knew they were not real. Today, we live in a different world. Things have changed so much. The family was different, morals, values, respect, citizenship and parenting. Good conservative beliefs is dying away.
If someone pointed one of those things at me, I'd possibly shoot them without hesitation. They look pretty real to me.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
If someone pointed one of those things at me, I'd shoot them without hesitation. They look pretty real to me.

That's the set I had as a kid.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
That's the set I had as a kid.
How realistic are they close up? At a distance, its hard to tell they're not real. Especially if they are pointed at you.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #18

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

If someone pointed one of those things at me, I'd shoot them without hesitation. They look pretty real to me.
Same here even if kids surround my car and aim a weapon at me I'm shooting. These kids where not " playing"with a toy gun, they where "using" the toy gun to scare people big difference. If I was that kids dad he have alot more to worry about than the cops!: mad

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Maybe the toy gun looked "real" enough to scare people. The girls he was pointing it at didn't appear to be taking it seriously, though. But times have changed a lot since I was young. Back then, the assumption would have been that it was a toy, and nobody would have taken it seriously. I'm afraid that is what my take on it would have been, just that it was a kid with a toy. So far as the guy giving the reporter the finger, that may have been to discourage the TV crew from exposing his kid on national TV. The "news" (scandal) media is acting as if they are an authority figure, an extension of the government. There is no legal nor moral requirement to cooperate with interrogation by the TV reporters. If it were my kid, I'd make sure he didn't put himself in that position again, including taking the toy gun(s) away from him until he was old/mature enough to be more responsible. All said, he is a little kid. People are treating it like he was a seasoned gang-banger, and reacting like they are out for his blood.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #20

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you use a toy gun in the commission of a felony you still get gun charges.

If the kid had pulled that on me or my wife, he may have been killed in the process. That would have ruined two families, his and mine. I will no more let a ten year old kill me or my wife, than I would a 40 year old, if I can can stop it.

As far as comparing the "toy" gun issue to the 50s or 60s; it is a different world today.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This