A 10-year-old boy arrested for toy gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > A 10-year-old boy arrested for toy gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default A 10-year-old boy arrested for toy gun

Here's some poop about a 10-year-old boy arrested for playing with a toy gun:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/26/17928726-10-year-old-boys-fake-gun-stunt-almost-goes-terribly-awry?lite

Stuff every little boy did when I was a kid, with nobody getting hysterical, is now a felony?

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 04-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/26/17928726-10-year-old-boys-fake-gun-stunt-almost-goes-terribly-awry?lite

Stuff every little boy did when I was a kid, with nobody getting hysterical, is now a felony?
Its not that they were playing with a toy gun, it's that they were playing with a realist toy gun, and pointing it at random people, who thought it was a real gun.

A US Marine called 911 and got his own gun after they pointed it at him. What does that say about this situation?

The story says that the boys were released, and have not been charged with anything yet. They may have just taken them in and had a word with them about doing stuff like this.

Quote:
The boy, believed to be between 10 and 12 years old, pulls the toy handgun out of his pants and points it at one of the girls. The young woman can be seen putting her hands in the air as she slowly walks across the street.
Quote:
Moments later, an older boy comes up to the child with a backpack and takes the gun away.

That boy then walks down Ontario Street, drops to one knee and points the gun in the direction of a group of kids walking towards him. He then jumps up and runs towards the group brandishing the weapon
Quote:
Twenty minutes later, police say the same boys approached a 27-year-old man along the 3300 block of North 16th Street. Police say one of the boys then reached into his backpack, pulled out the handgun and said, “Hey buddy.”

The man, a U.S. Marine, ran into a nearby home and called 911. Lt. McClay said the unidentified Marine also grabbed his weapon. In the meantime, the kids fled south on 16th Street toward Allegheny Avenue.

"By the time he gets back outside, these guys are already gone," Lt. McClay said. "Luckily enough, they are gone, cause this could've turned out to be a real disaster."

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-26-2013 at 04:23 PM.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This wasn't "playing war" in the backyard like I did as a kid. Their actions were clearly purposed to intimidate. Why? Who the hell knows. But with the way that guy was flipping the bird at the TV cameras, I have to agree with the one lady, "gotta be the parent's fault."

Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I forget what grade I was in (I recall I was still in elementary school), but we were all assembled in the school cafeteria with our parents whereupon a uniformed police officer walked up to a podium and stated quite flatly that despite our young ages, if any one of us ever pointed what appeared to be a firearm at a police officer at school we could expect to be shot if we didn't shoot the officer first. A couple of the parents were upset by this, but most of them came to the conclusion that pointing guns or toys that look like real guns at police officers is not a very bright idea and might just get you shot. I was appropriately admonished by my parents not to do something that stupid and never did. Apparently some kids didn't receive that simple bit of wisdom. Probably budget cuts, health care regulations, or some other such silliness.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was told the same thing, soon after a young boy was shot and killed by cops nearby. I think it was in Memphis...

That was around the time it became standard policy to put orange tips on toy guns. I hated that orange tip, but I didn't try to take it off or paint it or anything. Not because I was scared of the cops, but because it didn't detract from the playability of a toy gun.

When I was about 16, the cops were called on me. I was riding with a friend, and he had a 1911 BB pistol in his glove box. I was playing with it. I actually shot myself in the bare foot to see how much cod sak it had. It didn't hurt anymore than a little sting (it would barely punch a hole through paper later).

Anyway, it looked real as hell. I was just checking it out, and a passerby saw me stopped at a redlight, sees a kid with a gun, and thought I'd carjacked my best buddy. Called the cops.

That five minute up close and personal chat with the officer who responded was pretty tense.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4309

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post

Check the media section out, they just posted this on drudge. watch some of the police videos.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

Default Great freakin' parenting here!!

Why do I get the feeling this isn't his first (or last) brush with the law???
Lucky he didn't get his punk-@$$ shot... but hope still springs eternal for that I bet.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Shows a lot about the family when the passenger gives the finger. Also, the gun did look real. When I was a kid, you could easily tell a real gun from a fake gun. I think it is irresponsible for the toy company to make a realistic gun for children. Also, the parents/parent is stupid for buying something like that in the first place. Bad parenting is returned ten fold unto the parent.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Yeah I ran around plenty with toy guns when I was his age.... on my own block...around people that knew my friends and I liked to run through their yards playing "army".

My parents would have beat my ass If they saw me waving a toy gun in random peoples faces to get a rise out of em. Holy hell! I might have taken that kids toy and swatted him on the head myself if I saw that in public. This is exactly what throws fuel on the fire for those "zero tolerance" idiots, sending kids home for wearing t-shirts with guns on them. I thought this story was similar. Its not. Yes, that kid needed to talk to some cops because his parents obviously arent doing their goddamned job of not raising an a$shole. Kids lucky he wasn't shot and hell probably be lucky to make it through puberty.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Shows a lot about the family when the passenger gives the finger. Also, the gun did look real. When I was a kid, you could easily tell a real gun from a fake gun. I think it is irresponsible for the toy company to make a realistic gun for children. Also, the parents/parent is stupid for buying something like that in the first place. Bad parenting is returned ten fold unto the parent.
I'll leave these from the 60's and 70's. I had the 1st and the 5th, a cousin had the 4th one and the kid next door to me had the 2nd one.
toygunjohnnyeagle.jpg   johnny-eagle-red-river.jpg   johnny-eagle-magumba.jpg   aph.jpg   mattel-m-16-gun.jpg  

johnnyeagleline72.jpg  

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 04-26-2013 at 07:24 PM.