10 round mags?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > 10 round mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10 round mags?

I'm just wondering about this...I'm looking into buying an AR on one of the main websites to send to my FFL. And the ones that come with a 10 rounded are much cheaper. The state I live in doesn't have a mag cap law, so I'm wondering, if I buy the gun, can I just buy a regular mag and still use it in the gun? Or is there something in the actual magwell or upper that will prevent from accepting the mag. Stupid question I'm sure to a lot of you, but forgive me. This is my first purchase.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

the 10 round mags are shortenend magazines. a 30 round will fit just fine. the ony differenes will be the length of the magazines, and springs. a 30 round protrudes from the magwell. a 10 round will be close to flush or just barely protruding. here is a pic of a 10 vs a 30

1226012223.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #3

Awesome. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbruins37 View Post
I'm just wondering about this...I'm looking into buying an AR on one of the main websites to send to my FFL. And the ones that come with a 10 rounded are much cheaper. The state I live in doesn't have a mag cap law, so I'm wondering, if I buy the gun, can I just buy a regular mag and still use it in the gun? Or is there something in the actual magwell or upper that will prevent from accepting the mag. Stupid question I'm sure to a lot of you, but forgive me. This is my first purchase.
Keep in mind that in addition to the 10 round mag you may also be giving up a removable flash hider, collapsible stock and a bayonet lug on a post-ban compliant AR. If none of those are essential or important to you then by all means save the money and buy whatever mags you wish, any AR mag will fit a Mil Spec lower. The only state specific modifications to a lower that I am aware of is the CA mag lock mechanism, even that does not limit capacity.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Keep in mind that in addition to the 10 round mag you may also be giving up a removable flash hider, collapsible stock and a bayonet lug on a post-ban compliant AR. If none of those are essential or important to you then by all means save the money and buy whatever mags you wish, any AR mag will fit a Mil Spec lower. The only state specific modifications to a lower that I am aware of is the CA mag lock mechanism, even that does not limit capacity.
I am concerned about the stock. I'm looking into the magpul MOE, and a free float quadrail. Hopefully ill be able to do that should the 10 rounded be the one.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbruins37 View Post
I am concerned about the stock. I'm looking into the magpul MOE, and a free float quadrail. Hopefully ill be able to do that should the 10 rounded be the one.
If you are not in a state like NJ that limits what an AR can have. i.e. pre-ban versus post-ban features then you can change anything that you want. Just be sure that the front sight can be removed over the permanently attached muzzle brake, assuming that is what is on the rifle. Most post bans will have that in place of the typical flash hider and threaded muzzle.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington