Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   10 round mags? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/10-round-mags-54207/)

tbruins37 12-27-2011 02:19 AM

10 round mags?

I'm just wondering about this...I'm looking into buying an AR on one of the main websites to send to my FFL. And the ones that come with a 10 rounded are much cheaper. The state I live in doesn't have a mag cap law, so I'm wondering, if I buy the gun, can I just buy a regular mag and still use it in the gun? Or is there something in the actual magwell or upper that will prevent from accepting the mag. Stupid question I'm sure to a lot of you, but forgive me. This is my first purchase.

jjfuller1 12-27-2011 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the 10 round mags are shortenend magazines. a 30 round will fit just fine. the ony differenes will be the length of the magazines, and springs. a 30 round protrudes from the magwell. a 10 round will be close to flush or just barely protruding. here is a pic of a 10 vs a 30

tbruins37 12-27-2011 02:30 AM

Awesome. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Jpyle 12-27-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbruins37 (Post 660479)
I'm just wondering about this...I'm looking into buying an AR on one of the main websites to send to my FFL. And the ones that come with a 10 rounded are much cheaper. The state I live in doesn't have a mag cap law, so I'm wondering, if I buy the gun, can I just buy a regular mag and still use it in the gun? Or is there something in the actual magwell or upper that will prevent from accepting the mag. Stupid question I'm sure to a lot of you, but forgive me. This is my first purchase.

Keep in mind that in addition to the 10 round mag you may also be giving up a removable flash hider, collapsible stock and a bayonet lug on a post-ban compliant AR. If none of those are essential or important to you then by all means save the money and buy whatever mags you wish, any AR mag will fit a Mil Spec lower. The only state specific modifications to a lower that I am aware of is the CA mag lock mechanism, even that does not limit capacity.

tbruins37 12-27-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

Keep in mind that in addition to the 10 round mag you may also be giving up a removable flash hider, collapsible stock and a bayonet lug on a post-ban compliant AR. If none of those are essential or important to you then by all means save the money and buy whatever mags you wish, any AR mag will fit a Mil Spec lower. The only state specific modifications to a lower that I am aware of is the CA mag lock mechanism, even that does not limit capacity.

I am concerned about the stock. I'm looking into the magpul MOE, and a free float quadrail. Hopefully ill be able to do that should the 10 rounded be the one.

Jpyle 12-27-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbruins37 (Post 660527)
I am concerned about the stock. I'm looking into the magpul MOE, and a free float quadrail. Hopefully ill be able to do that should the 10 rounded be the one.

If you are not in a state like NJ that limits what an AR can have. i.e. pre-ban versus post-ban features then you can change anything that you want. Just be sure that the front sight can be removed over the permanently attached muzzle brake, assuming that is what is on the rifle. Most post bans will have that in place of the typical flash hider and threaded muzzle.