Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Your thoughts on using Wolf Ammo in a Mini 14?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Your thoughts on using Wolf Ammo in a Mini 14?

Does anybody here shoot Wolf in their Mini's? I have a 581 series and I have a chance to pick up a bunch of Wolf cheap.

I've never used steel case ammo, I've always stayed away from it, but this is a deal that I can hardly pass up.

What say you? Yes or no?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by canebrake; 09-02-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

CA, I haven't bought Wolf ammo for anything I shoot. I guess I just haven't seen anything I thought I'd want to run through any of my guns.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've shot a LOT of Wolf thru my 580 series, absolutely NO issues.

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I shoot .223 Wolf through my Colt 6940 with no issues.

~1K downrange

Don't be an ammo snob and snag a good deal.

If you don't like it, I'll buy it.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
If you don't like it, I'll buy it.
Well, it's nice to have a fallback position like Canebrake has offered, but will he also buy your totally ruined Mini-14 after that cheap lacquer-coated ammo freezes up in your chamber? I'm being a wise guy, but I've always steered away from this Russian stuff. I put too much time & effort into my Mini's to put crummy ammo in it. If that makes me an ammo snob, oh well...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm not an ammo snob. I just don't want to have problems.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
Well, it's nice to have a fallback position like Canebrake has offered, but will he also buy your totally ruined Mini-14 after that cheap lacquer-coated ammo freezes up in your chamber? I'm being a wise guy, but I've always steered away from this Russian stuff. I put too much time & effort into my Mini's to put crummy ammo in it. If that makes me an ammo snob, oh well...
If you are still laboring under the misconception that Wolf ammo is still being manufactured with a lacquer coating, then you are an ammo snob......or living under a rock.

Come out from your cave and let me enlighten you about the real reason steel case ammo tends to "stick" spent casings in the chamber.

The interference friction is caused by a build-up of carbon deposits between the case and chamber wall. This deposit is the result of the steel case ammo failing to obturate upon firing. The steel case is not as malleable as brass and does not expand against the chamber wall, sealing the gas from blowing back.

Is Rusky ammo dirty? Yes, in relation to our ammo. Does it take more effort to insure a clean rifle after a range outing? Yes, but this is not an issue with those of us that, "...put too much time & effort into my [rifle]...”

The Wolf, et al, Eastern Bloc ammo gets a bad rap for lacquer issues of sticky chambers and extractor wear/breakage from steel casings, both of which are erroneous.
  • First, the vast majority of "stuck casings" are actually brass cartridges being fired after the Russian ammo without a good cleaning. The build-up interferes with the brass as it obturates.
  • Second, failure analysis reveals extractor wear/breakage is caused by primer-sealer build-up that remains for too long, or forever.
From your self-proclamation, and my knowledge of Don’s meticulous stewardship of his firearms, I think it’s safe to expect no issues with the use of the Wolf.

If either of you undergo a paradigm shift to dirt-bag status.....I recommend staying away from Eastern Bloc ammo.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
If you are still laboring under the misconception that Wolf ammo is still being manufactured with a lacquer coating, then you are an ammo snob......or living under a rock.

Come out from your cave and let me enlighten you about the real reason steel case ammo tends to "stick" spent casings in the chamber.
Dang, I admitted I was being a wise guy and the moderator ripped me a new one anyway... Hey, I know they quit manufacturing their "Eastern Block" ammo with lacquer coatings, but there is still a lot of it for sale out there, especially second-hand sales. Now, am I still an ammo snob if I buy mostly Federal 55-gr. 100-packs at Wal-Mart? I still wouldn't use the Russian stuff though...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Last edited by KMO; 09-01-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #9

Well if you live in a VERY humid place then you might have problems, we bought a box if .223 wolf military classics and after 2 weeks in his cabinet they had surface rust on them thanks to Ky humidity. But Cheap skate Cavitt couldn't just let them go, so he loaded a 20 round mag in his Mini 14 Ranch rifle. At shot 3 the firing pin hit the primer but no discharge, same deal after shot 10; they had about the same amount of rust on them.

An Ameture does it until they can get it right, a Pro does it until they can't get it wrong

Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 AM   #10

I have a mini Ranch 14 rifle and have had problems with wolf ammo, most other ammo functions fine. My ammo was bought two years ago at a gun show in southern Calif and has really turned out NOT to be the deal of the century, more problems then I saved.