Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Your thoughts on using Wolf Ammo in a Mini 14? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/your-thoughts-using-wolf-ammo-mini-14-a-31176/)

CA357 08-31-2010 11:33 PM

Your thoughts on using Wolf Ammo in a Mini 14?

Does anybody here shoot Wolf in their Mini's? I have a 581 series and I have a chance to pick up a bunch of Wolf cheap.

I've never used steel case ammo, I've always stayed away from it, but this is a deal that I can hardly pass up.

What say you? Yes or no?

dunerunner 09-01-2010 12:32 AM

CA, I haven't bought Wolf ammo for anything I shoot. I guess I just haven't seen anything I thought I'd want to run through any of my guns.

rodent.22 09-01-2010 12:41 AM

I've shot a LOT of Wolf thru my 580 series, absolutely NO issues.:D

canebrake 09-01-2010 12:57 AM

I shoot .223 Wolf through my Colt 6940 with no issues.

~1K downrange

Don't be an ammo snob and snag a good deal.

If you don't like it, I'll buy it.

KMO 09-01-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

If you don't like it, I'll buy it.
Well, it's nice to have a fallback position like Canebrake has offered, but will he also buy your totally ruined Mini-14 after that cheap lacquer-coated ammo freezes up in your chamber? I'm being a wise guy, but I've always steered away from this Russian stuff. I put too much time & effort into my Mini's to put crummy ammo in it. If that makes me an ammo snob, oh well...:cool:

CA357 09-01-2010 01:14 AM

I'm not an ammo snob. :eek: I just don't want to have problems. :D

canebrake 09-01-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 342326)
Well, it's nice to have a fallback position like Canebrake has offered, but will he also buy your totally ruined Mini-14 after that cheap lacquer-coated ammo freezes up in your chamber? I'm being a wise guy, but I've always steered away from this Russian stuff. I put too much time & effort into my Mini's to put crummy ammo in it. If that makes me an ammo snob, oh well...:cool:

If you are still laboring under the misconception that Wolf ammo is still being manufactured with a lacquer coating, then you are an ammo snob......or living under a rock.

Come out from your cave and let me enlighten you about the real reason steel case ammo tends to "stick" spent casings in the chamber.

The interference friction is caused by a build-up of carbon deposits between the case and chamber wall. This deposit is the result of the steel case ammo failing to obturate upon firing. The steel case is not as malleable as brass and does not expand against the chamber wall, sealing the gas from blowing back.

Is Rusky ammo dirty? Yes, in relation to our ammo. Does it take more effort to insure a clean rifle after a range outing? Yes, but this is not an issue with those of us that, "...put too much time & effort into my [rifle]...Ē

The Wolf, et al, Eastern Bloc ammo gets a bad rap for lacquer issues of sticky chambers and extractor wear/breakage from steel casings, both of which are erroneous.
  • First, the vast majority of "stuck casings" are actually brass cartridges being fired after the Russian ammo without a good cleaning. The build-up interferes with the brass as it obturates.
  • Second, failure analysis reveals extractor wear/breakage is caused by primer-sealer build-up that remains for too long, or forever.
From your self-proclamation, and my knowledge of Donís meticulous stewardship of his firearms, I think itís safe to expect no issues with the use of the Wolf.

If either of you undergo a paradigm shift to dirt-bag status.....I recommend staying away from Eastern Bloc ammo. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

KMO 09-01-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

If you are still laboring under the misconception that Wolf ammo is still being manufactured with a lacquer coating, then you are an ammo snob......or living under a rock.

Come out from your cave and let me enlighten you about the real reason steel case ammo tends to "stick" spent casings in the chamber.
Dang, I admitted I was being a wise guy and the moderator ripped me a new one anyway...:eek: Hey, I know they quit manufacturing their "Eastern Block" ammo with lacquer coatings, but there is still a lot of it for sale out there, especially second-hand sales. Now, am I still an ammo snob if I buy mostly Federal 55-gr. 100-packs at Wal-Mart? I still wouldn't use the Russian stuff though...:cool:

YoungGunWill 09-01-2010 04:00 AM

Well if you live in a VERY humid place then you might have problems, we bought a box if .223 wolf military classics and after 2 weeks in his cabinet they had surface rust on them:mad: thanks to Ky humidity. But Cheap skate Cavitt couldn't just let them go, so he loaded a 20 round mag in his Mini 14 Ranch rifle. At shot 3 the firing pin hit the primer but no discharge, same deal after shot 10; they had about the same amount of rust on them.

ironsights 09-01-2010 04:17 AM

I have a mini Ranch 14 rifle and have had problems with wolf ammo, most other ammo functions fine. My ammo was bought two years ago at a gun show in southern Calif and has really turned out NOT to be the deal of the century, more problems then I saved.