Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > what to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thumbs down what to get?

looking at a new mini 14. like to know what is the real dif between the std.
mini and the "tactical" version. I can see the the tactical has a flash hider but otherwise? not a lot of dollar dif between the 2 versions so would like a bit of advice/info on this.
thanks
deadworm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1809 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 557

With the current situation of not knowing where we are headed, I would get the standard barrel with no attachments if you can find one. Check Midway for factory 20 round mags.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I would take either and it may not make any difference with the way they are talking. I would like the rails of the tactical model for the option of mounting a dot scope.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Why the thumbs down

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

The Mini 14 doesn't "look" like an "assault weapon", but it shoots the same ammo. Don't know if that might be trouble if there was a ban put in place.
Would they ban "assault weapon" ammo - and target .223 simply because the AR-15 uses it? Ignoring all the other guns that use it?
It's our crazy politicians and they have done far dumber things before.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
The Mini 14 doesn't "look" like an "assault weapon", but it shoots the same ammo. Don't know if that might be trouble if there was a ban put in place.
Would they ban "assault weapon" ammo - and target .223 simply because the AR-15 uses it? Ignoring all the other guns that use it?
It's our crazy politicians and they have done far dumber things before.
Seriously? Looks just about like a M-14 I was issued

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I prefer my tactical model with a Hogue stock (not one of the folding options with adjustable stock, etc.). It's slightly more compact than the standard Mini and comes in the box with a 20-round magazine.

Both are fine rifles and I love mine. You might consider the Mini 30 also as ammo may be easier to come by. Either way they're fine guns. Mine shoots any ammo I put in it. Steel, brass, lacquer coated, reloads, .223 and 5.56. You name it, she eats it. Try and stick with the later models if you can though (581 and 582 prefixes). They have the thicker barrels.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have the tactical with a synthetic stock And love it but I'm about to put on a tapco and am enthused to see how that turns out but I would recommend the tactical to Anyone

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm View Post
looking at a new mini 14. like to know what is the real dif between the std.
mini and the "tactical" version. I can see the the tactical has a flash hider but otherwise? not a lot of dollar dif between the 2 versions so would like a bit of advice/info on this.
thanks
deadworm
You nailed it. Only difference is barrel length and the flash hider on the Tactical.

IMO, if you're going to be shooting a lot of surplus/"tactical" 5.56 loads, the flash hider could be a worthwhile addition.

My Ranch Rifle w/o flash hider throws a 2 foot fireball in broad daylight with Federal or American Eagle XM193...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #10

well, I kinda got an education here and and talking to a local dealer. "wish I had 100 of em,
could sell them all today!" that was my introduction to finding a good mini to buy, regardless
of model. and the prices....some twice the new price, and getting it! finally found 4 mo. old
581 tactical for $950 and glad to get it. did get 300+ rds of federal ammo with it so that softened the blow.
now I am a part of the mini 14 brotherhood owners I'm pleased to say.

Newest Threads