What do you want to do to your Mini ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > What do you want to do to your Mini ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Ratpacker, The Leupold Mark Ar scopes with fire dot are an awesome illuminated scope, lots of features only found on much more expensive tactical scopes, about $400. I have one on my AR. delutz, congrats on your purchase. The Sparta stocks seem a bit much, IMO, if you want a top rail get an Ultimak railed handguard to replace the plastic factory one. They help stiffen the barrel and the aluminum acts as a heat sink so your barrel will stay cooler.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #12

JTJ, nice call on the 5.56. I hadn't noticed the target models were not chambered for both. Sandog, I checked out the ultimak stocks. They look like the exact same model as the Tapco stocks at the same price point. To be honest, the Tapcos were I impressive and looked kind of cheap. I am not in a huge rush to replace the stock so I will do more looking around and asking what people have used and liked. Thanks for the input though

Old 11-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by delutz View Post
Sandog, I checked out the ultimak stocks. They look like the exact same model as the Tapco stocks at the same price
delutz, I didn't know Ultimak made a stock. I'll have to check their website again. What I was talking about was an aluminum hand-guard that has a rail on it. It replaces the factory hand guard. Just re-read your original post, and the Ultimak wouldn't help you if you have the Target model and want to mount a front and rear sight on a top rail. The Ultimak is more for a a forward mounted scout scope or a forward mounted red dot.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #14

Sandog, on closer evaluation, the stock they sell IS a Tapco with the ultimak hand guard.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I ordered the Ultimak M4s scout rail today from Brownells. Same $139 price as the Ultimak web site but free shipping on $150 and no tax. Ultimak is in AZ so I would have to pay tax+ $7.50 shipping. I had to do a filler order to get o $150 so I got some 20 gauge #3 buck basically for free. I will use a Bushnell TRS25 for now or maybe a 2x pistol scope I have to test the accuracy. Semi's are hard on scopes but the forward mount eases that up quite a bit. Also you dont have to remove the scope to field strip the rifle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #16

My Ultimak will be here Saturday. Just got my older mini threaded to 1/2"x 28, put an A2 flash hider on it for now. Ordered a Hogue OM stock and getting a new style front sight to replace my old blade type one. My Mini is starting to come together !

Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #17

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

Just got my first Mini. It's an all EVIL black 582. Just from research thinking trigger job, and the adjustable gas/strut system. Add a decent scope and I should be good to go. Not looking for a total tack driver, but would like to hit what I am at to around 200 yards. Oh, I guess I should take it to the range at least once before finalizing my plans. Can't wait to get it out, and see what it's all about.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #18
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

180 series

Other than 'just shoot it', I am interested in finding the time to compress the flat steel spring clip that holds the fore-arm in place. It's a bit loose and the wiggle bothers me.

I can't really think of anything it needs that merits the cost. Better spent on a more accurate platform.

This is one that I may let go some day, I think it get's a better price in NY with it's unsafe act. Don't know for sure, just read something like that somewhere IIRC.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The spring clip is on the stock front hand guard channel locks will work but don't over do it. Personally I like the Choate handguard , gives the Mini that M14 look and better air flow. I have a lot of accessories for mine, its a 196, Ultimak rail, Weigand rail, Tech Sights, TRS25 red dot, Millet red dot x2, QCB scope, Scout scope, Accu-strut , trigger job , Hogue stock, and a few other goodies. Mini is a great platform to work off of.

Tony/ Mighty Arms, Firearms & Accessories
mightyarms.com

Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire51 View Post
The spring clip is on the stock front hand guard channel locks will work but don't over do it. Personally I like the Choate handguard , gives the Mini that M14 look and better air flow. I have a lot of accessories for mine, its a 196, Ultimak rail, Weigand rail, Tech Sights, TRS25 red dot, Millet red dot x2, QCB scope, Scout scope, Accu-strut , trigger job , Hogue stock, and a few other goodies. Mini is a great platform to work off of.
Thanks, I was thinking vice-grips might work best due to it's adjustable stop feature.

I'm keeping this baby stock. It's the 180, so it's End of Life as far as parts and support, but it is the original.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL