Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   What do you want to do to your Mini ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/what-do-you-want-do-your-mini-100262/)

sandog 11-12-2013 12:11 PM

What do you want to do to your Mini ?

Seems the Mini sub forum has gotten a bit stagnant, so I thought I'd start a new thread. So far with my 195 series, I've added an AccuStrut, a Tech rear peep, reduced my gas flow and added buffers, and polished up the trigger, breaks at 4 lbs. My Mini now shoots great, but there are a few things I want to work on. Mainly increase the stock length to make it more comfortable, and add the rail, so my old eyes have another option besides the iron sights. I have the tools to thread my barrel for an AR flashider, but haven't got around to doing it yet. I just bought an Ultimak railed hand guard and 5 more Ruger 20 round magazines, but haven't received them yet. I had been planning on mounting a Scout scope on the Ultimak, but now am leaning towards a red dot. Might get a Primary Arms Micro for now, and go to an Aimpoint CompC3 or M4 when finances allow. It should sit low enough to co- witness with the irons. I want to clamp a 45 degree rail in front of the red dot to hold one of my Surefire flashlights. Was thinking about getting a new Ruger wood stock (with the rubber pad) or a custom wood one to replace the short, curved buttplate factory stock, but now think I'll get a Hogue O.D. green one, stronger, less prone to warp and grippier when hands are wet. I'm trying to keep the Mini simple and practical without getting too tacticool. Also waiting for the guy on perfectunion.com to start manufacturing and selling his Mini stripper clip guide. What plans do some of you have for modifying your Mini's ?

hawkguy 11-13-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandog (Post 1429673)
Seems the Mini sub forum has gotten a bit stagnant, so I thought I'd start a new thread. So far with my 195 series, I've added an AccuStrut, a Tech rear peep, reduced my gas flow and added buffers, and polished up the trigger, breaks at 4 lbs. My Mini now shoots great, but there are a few things I want to work on. Mainly increase the stock length to make it more comfortable, and add the rail, so my old eyes have another option besides the iron sights. I have the tools to thread my barrel for an AR flashider, but haven't got around to doing it yet. I just bought an Ultimak railed hand guard and 5 more Ruger 20 round magazines, but haven't received them yet. I had been planning on mounting a Scout scope on the Ultimak, but now am leaning towards a red dot. Might get a Primary Arms Micro for now, and go to an Aimpoint CompC3 or M4 when finances allow. It should sit low enough to co- witness with the irons. I want to clamp a 45 degree rail in front of the red dot to hold one of my Surefire flashlights. Was thinking about getting a new Ruger wood stock (with the rubber pad) or a custom wood one to replace the short, curved buttplate factory stock, but now think I'll get a Hogue O.D. green one, stronger, less prone to warp and grippier when hands are wet. I'm trying to keep the Mini simple and practical without getting too tacticool. Also waiting for the guy on perfectunion.com to start manufacturing and selling his Mini stripper clip guide. What plans do some of you have for modifying your Mini's ?

I think the problem might be the same dilemma I have.....many posters here are more or less "finished" with their mini's adjustments & mods....

add that to the fact that he mini has only changed in very minor ways since its inception, and you tend to get a bit of stagnation.

we also need some "new blood" if possible, to get threads like your going on a regular basis.

s for us old regulars, we need to fire up riverrat's shooting challenge again, or create another one....that thread was hot for quite awhile.

also...there are many other topics we could start.....like hunting with minis, what we love/dislike about minis, success of mods, ideas for improvements, product reviews, etc.

no reason for this to be a dead forum.....the mini is a great gun.....:)

JTJ 11-13-2013 01:50 AM

I am planning to mount a scout rail to my 580 series Mini 14. I have not decided whether to use an Amega or an Ultimak. The Ultimak is $21 cheaper and free shipping. They both look good. I had an Amega on my Mini 30 and it made a difference in the accuracy.

Mercator 11-13-2013 02:06 AM

I can tell you one thing not worth doing to it. Mounting a suppressor. The rifle malfunctioned, blew smoke, and wasn't all that quiet, in part because of the reciprocating steel charge handle.

A scout scope I think is a great idea because the Mini 14/30 is a scout rifle, really. It is so handy, it feels out of place on a benchrest or a bipod. If you got a 580 series, my word is, do nothing else.

ccase39 11-15-2013 05:36 PM

Nothing. I like mine just the way it is. Maybe put a gas block bushing in but thats it.
Mine is old with a pretty rare stock so I don't want to do too much to it.

LeMat 11-15-2013 06:41 PM

Nothing but shoot it.

delutz 11-19-2013 08:13 PM

I just recently bought a 580 series mini with the thumb hole wooden stock. I would like to replace it with something synthetic, mainly because of the options those stocks give. The archangel Sparta stock was one that perked my ears due to the top rail. I like the idea of adding flip up iron sights since mine did not come with fixed ones. Does anyone know anything about this stock?

ratpacker 11-20-2013 03:50 AM

I recently bought an Accu-Strut, installed it on 187 series Ranch; Nice TRIGGER JOB( (GOOD 4 LBS.) + ATI folder.. Next, I need a suggestion on an illuminated scout scope.

JTJ 11-20-2013 11:59 AM

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-4x28-VXR-Scout-Scope-P51466.aspx
NC Star and Aim Sports both have cheap ones. Probably ok on a 22lr.
Burris is supposed to be coming out with an illuminated scout scope.

JTJ 11-20-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delutz (Post 1435837)
I just recently bought a 580 series mini with the thumb hole wooden stock. I would like to replace it with something synthetic, mainly because of the options those stocks give. The archangel Sparta stock was one that perked my ears due to the top rail. I like the idea of adding flip up iron sights since mine did not come with fixed ones. Does anyone know anything about this stock?

It sounds like you bought a target model. If it is it is not chambered for military 5.56x45 but for 223 so be careful which ammo you use. Most mini's are chambered for the 5.56x45 and will shoot either.