Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > what about the mini's big brother???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default what about the mini's big brother???

I am sitting at the airport waiting to board, and just started looking around on all the forums, and found this "mini-14" forum....but no M-14 forum. I am in my cell phone, and don't ha e the advantage of a large screen, so maybe I missed it. If not, then I am surprised. I know it can't be because there are too many "M-14" forum sites already. You have an AR-15 forum, and god knows there's enough of them.
Just curious. I just bought one a while back and wanted to talk about it. And that's when I noticed the absence of this rifle having it's own spot. I suppose I can post in semi-auto....just seems a shame that this iconic rifle doesn't have a place of it's own on here.
Well, gotta catch a plane. Later, all....

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default the M forum?

i think one forum that covered the m-14, the M1 carbine, and the garand is the way to go myself.

that's three bad a$$ rifles, whose history (and awesomeness) certainly merits its own forum.

make a suggestion to the mods, i think there is a forum for it. good luck!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Well, the thing is......

There is a Chinese version of the Springfield M1A that is CALLED the M14. And there is the Springfield M1A.

And then there is the M14. Which, by the way, is a machine gun. And there are very few of them in the hands of private citizens. I would estimate fewer than 50. And yes, I know the one you shot in basic training may have been equipped with a semi-auto block- but it takes 30 seconds to remove that.

There WERE about a dozen M14s that were modified to be semi-auto ONLY (The M14M) and the BATFE decided they were still machine guns. So we have not really been overrun with M14 owners here. Or did I miss something?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I understand that there are some "clones", "copies", and "wanna be's." But there are also the same with the mini. You've got the actual, mini. And the then there's the ranch, tactical, mini-30, mini-6.8 (I know.... but it sounded cute). It can be called, the "M-14 family".....or "M-14/M1A" And if that doesn't sound good, then may the idea fade into the abyss of bad ideas. It has enjoyed a healthy come back with it's use over in the sandbox, that I though it worth a shot.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life Member

Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreShooter View Post
I understand that there are some "clones", "copies", and "wanna be's." But there are also the same with the mini. You've got the actual, mini. And the then there's the ranch, tactical, mini-30, mini-6.8 (I know.... but it sounded cute). It can be called, the "M-14 family".....or "M-14/M1A" And if that doesn't sound good, then may the idea fade into the abyss of bad ideas. It has enjoyed a healthy come back with it's use over in the sandbox, that I though it worth a shot.
many other forums have a combined m-14, m1a forum. its not a crazy idea, its a good idea!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, the thing is......

There is a Chinese version of the Springfield M1A that is CALLED the M14. And there is the Springfield M1A.

And then there is the M14. Which, by the way, is a machine gun. And there are very few of them in the hands of private citizens. I would estimate fewer than 50. And yes, I know the one you shot in basic training may have been equipped with a semi-auto block- but it takes 30 seconds to remove that.

There WERE about a dozen M14s that were modified to be semi-auto ONLY (The M14M) and the BATFE decided they were still machine guns. So we have not really been overrun with M14 owners here. Or did I miss something?
ok, ok....but don't many firearm companies make what what they call an m-14? otherwise, an M1A forum is perfectly fine, if we are splitting hairs here. there are PLENTY of M1A owners!

and here is fulton armory's...M14!

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14-M1A.aspx

maybe a "guns of WWII forum" would be cool as well (and before you start on me, i know the M-14 is not a gun of WWII...)

Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yep, that works....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i think one forum that covered the m-14, the M1 carbine, and the garand is the way to go myself. I am also in the market for an M1 carbine for my son. So, yes! Let's get the ball rolling!

that's three bad a$$ rifles, whose history (and awesomeness) certainly merits its own forum.

make a suggestion to the mods, i think there is a forum for it. good luck!
Since the M-14 is based on the Garand, with a few twists...I think that may even be a better idea!

NRA Life Member

Last edited by LakeshoreShooter; 04-08-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forgot the carbine....

Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, the thing is......

I think we all realize that a REAL USGI M-14 with selector capability is as rare as hen's teeth, but there are many admirers of the M-14 'style' rifles which include all of the currently produced M1As and M-14SA rifles (norinco, polytech, fed-ord, etc) made domestic and abroad.

I don't think it is any different then the AR's - none of them are "Real" M-16s and most are not real AR-15s and many are also built up clones - some parts made overseas - so where is the distinction between having an AR type forum vs an M14 type forum?

A forum to discuss them is a good idea.

Last edited by jismail; 04-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #9

Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I don't think it is any different then the AR's - none of them are "Real" M-16s and most are not real AR-15s and many are also built up clones - some parts made overseas - so where is the distinction between having an AR type forum vs an M14 type
dang you jismail, this quote is so good....it should have been MINE!

i think the discussion is now over, make a m14/m1a forum!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default ok....i second that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
dang you jismail, this quote is so good....it should have been MINE!

i think the discussion is now over, make a m14/m1a forum!
Let's got er done! Even though I posted this thread, I am new here and don't have much pull on this forum. But hopefully these posts will help us in our cause....because it is a fair, and just cause!!! Ya.....

NRA Life Member