Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Wanting to get a mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wanting to get a mini-14

Ok so here is the deal, I have just gotten married and so as a wedding present I now have the funds to get mini. I have been looking at them for some time now but still dont feel like i know much about them. I want a rifle that is well rounded and that can take down small game. Truth is I really dont need it for hunting, this is a rifle that would be mainly for shooting around and to enjoy. I am more drawn to the tactical look for most other firearms however something about the classic wood stock on the mini draw me in. So now for the questions...
1. What is important to look for if I am going to get one used? I know the older models are less accurate than the ones after ruger re-tooled the factory but how can i tell the difference?
2. Is there a difference in accuracy for the 16.5" and the 18" barrel?
3. What is a fair price range for both New and Used rifles? I have been watching sites like auctionarms however the prices seem to be all over the place.

I guess I would really like any and all information you could give.

Thanks in advance.
Sean

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, it's good to see that a newlywed has his priorities straight! Your questions will invite a variety of opinions, so I'll toss mine your way first...

1. What is important to look for if I am going to get one used? I know the older models are less accurate than the ones after ruger re-tooled the factory but how can I tell the difference?

The most obvious difference started with the latter 580-series Mini-14's (the series is designated by the first three numbers of the serial number). The tapered barrel was introduced with these latter 580's, as Ruger's attempt to mitigate the barrel whip condition associated with the traditional barrels produced for three decades. The tapered barrel is easily distinguished by the funneled down outside diameter evident in the first 3/4" forward from the gas block. All of the new Mini-14's have this tapered barrel. But, don't hesitate to buy one that has the traditional barrel if you find a good deal. Accuracy issues can be mitigated.

2. Is there a difference in accuracy for the 16.5" and the 18" barrel?

My opinion...barrel length is not the determining factor on accuracy, but I'll let others chime in on this one.

3. What is a fair price range for both New and Used rifles? I have been watching sites like auctionarms however the prices seem to be all over the place.

I've seen some good deals recently on GunBroker.com. Even Wal-Mart's price on a Ranch Model is around $700. Remember, you don't have to buy it in a tactical configuration...You can always accessorize it yourself with aftermarket components.

Good luck!

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh1022 View Post
Ok so here is the deal, I have just gotten married and so as a wedding present I now have the funds to get mini.
OK, let me get this straight: You just got married, and your new wife is allowing you to use wedding present money for a new gun, and not a dinette set, curtains, lamps, or any other house stuff? Does she have any sisters???

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Couple things wrong here...

1. Shouldnt have gotten married
2. Should get an AR
3. Just kidding you. Congrats on the marriage

The Mini is a good all around gun. I personally like the 16.5" barrel better myself just because. No real good explanation. Just do.

You are right about the price range. My advice is to sit back and dont jump on the first thing you think is a good deal. Ive jumped a time or two and ended up with things I do not want.

Few sites to check:
Auctionarms.com
Gunbroker.com
Gunsamerica.com
Davesguns.com
Ar15.com in the exchange section. There is always mini's in there
Midwestguntrader.com
Ombexpress.com This Mini is pretty neat

Do some surfing and youll find what your looking for.

Brad

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
OK, let me get this straight: You just got married, and your new wife is allowing you to use wedding present money for a new gun, and not a dinette set, curtains, lamps, or any other house stuff? Does she have any sisters???
^^^This^^^

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #6

Thank you for the advice so far. As for sisters Im sorry y'all but she is one of a kind, and thats why I love her. Any ways part of the reason i want a mini is because i already have a ar-10 so i dont really see the point in getting another rifle that looks and feels almost the same just shoots a different caliber. Also just to confirm what i have been finding, a new mini should go for about $700 give or take depending on the extras and such right?
Thanks everyone I will keep you posted as things progress,
Sean

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bud's Gun Shop Online

$668 delivered to your local FFL dealer...
Ruger KMINI-14/5P 223 SSSYN RNCH 5805 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $688.00

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #8

I actually called a local sporting goods store here (dicks sporting goods) and they have a basic one in stock for $649. I was surprised to hear that for sure. I am calling another truly local shope in the next few mins. to see what they can do on a price.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I was going to buy a new Mini, I'd look at the Laminated Stainless model that Davidsons had made by Ruger--you can see it on their website. It's a limited addition but there are plenty available. GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I forgot to add, don't be scared by Davidson's retail prices--their dealers will discount. Here is is for $739: Davidson's Catalog Item Detail