Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Want to put life back in a junk mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/want-put-life-back-junk-mag-67447/)

wes213 07-02-2012 12:29 AM

Want to put life back in a junk mag

I have had this old junk no name 30 round mag for a year or so and it worked for about 90 rounds, long story short every round now gets slammed in to the lower lip and will not chamber?

When sliding the round foreword the bullets tip is not lifting up at all in order to line up with the chamber, if you guys know any way to get the bullet ta pop up before exiting the magazine lips it would be a big help.

tri70 07-02-2012 05:22 AM

I believe you can get replacement springs and follows at Midway USA or Numrich parts. Just replace them with Ruger stock items, they work the same in all mags.

wes213 07-02-2012 04:35 PM

Thanks for the idea man but if i get the two parts and add in shipping i would have damn near as much in parts as i payed for the mag.

That math don't add here so i will tinker with it a bit and if all fails i will just scrap it or give it to some one i hate. LOL :D

tri70 07-02-2012 04:52 PM

I have ordered extra for spare parts and fixing other mags.

Commocarl 07-02-2012 11:21 PM

It's not a perfect solution, but one to get you by. Take the mag apart, make sure nothing is rubbing, causing the problem posted. Then stretch the spring a bit before reinserting. Won't last very long, but it's not like you are going to reuse it anyway.

Just a thought

wes213 07-02-2012 11:27 PM

I have pulled the spring and looked it over but from what i can tell there is more then enough tension there to do its job, i will post a pic of whats it is doing later tonight.

tri70 07-03-2012 02:52 AM

It sounds like the follower is hanging up.

wes213 07-03-2012 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was setting here about to head out for work when i decided to have a close look at the follower (thanks to all that said that was it as it made me look at it closer) when i notice that the mag was setting low but still giving a false lock up click, even with the mag not seated proper you had to hit the mag release to get it out.

Mag now cycles and i know never to trust my life with this mag but i can use it at the range now. :)

51colt 07-03-2012 01:50 PM

Try a follower out of another mag and see if it helps. Can you use a AR follower in a mini mag? If so you can find them everywhere. A AR spring might also work. .

wes213 07-03-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51colt (Post 857396)
Try a follower out of another mag and see if it helps. Can you use a AR follower in a mini mag? If so you can find them everywhere. A AR spring might also work. .

Na man, i got it worked out as you can see in the pic above your post the mag was acting like it was fully seated with out the mag catch pin engaging the mag.

looks like i will just need to insert the mag with an open chamber and dub check it when i use it, on the bright side the spring and follower are working fine. ;)