Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   UTG Scope zeroing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/utg-scope-zeroing-95935/)

tbc27143 08-24-2013 01:26 AM

UTG Scope zeroing

I have a mini-14 ranch rifle with a red/green dot scope that is giving me a real problem zeroing it. I used a bore sight at 10 yds and had the point of impact at 2 inches high. I also zeroed the iron sights at the same impact. I went to the range and shot on the 50 yd range and was not even on the paper. I tried various adjustments to get it on paper and finally did but all adjustments to the scope would move the impact to a point that was contrary to the adjustment arrow directions.

Any thoughts on this? It seems to me the scope is not responding to the adjustments correctly.

tri70 08-24-2013 03:28 AM

Do you have another scope you mount to check zero with?

bwraven 08-24-2013 02:11 PM

UTG, NC Star, etc. are all cheap scopes.

You get what you pay for.

tbc27143 08-24-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri70 (Post 1344794)
Do you have another scope you mount to check zero with?

No I don't.

tri70 08-25-2013 12:57 AM

Do you have a buddy that has a scope you can borrow to check with?

mountainman13 08-25-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbc27143 (Post 1344526)
all adjustments to the scope would move the impact to a point that was contrary to the adjustment arrow directions.

Turn the knobs the other way.....
Adjust in small increments. 3 shot groups.

hawkguy 08-25-2013 03:42 AM

well, just a thought....everyone isn't quite as thick as me.....:o

but i had the same prob with a red dot on my mini....i was like "^%$#$^!" why won't this POS scope zero?

only to find later that my mini has SHOOK my ruger rings completely loose! :eek:

it did it again at the range the next trip! just a bit of locktite later....and my non zeroing red dot scope was cured! :p

Car54 08-25-2013 09:36 AM

As mentioned above:

Make sure your sight is tight to the rail but not so tight that you strip the nut.

Some sights/scopes you adjust opposite of the arrow. ex: arrow and R indicated as clockwise, turn knob counterclockwise to move right

Try moving up to 25 yards instead of 50 and see if you are on paper, then move back to 50 or further in increments.

SSGN_Doc 08-25-2013 06:08 PM

Some of the things others mentioned already:

-UTG optics are not the best.
-Check all of your mounting hardware, and make sure everything is tight.
-Try sighting in at 25 yards and making adjustments there once you are sighted in to see which way the adjutment knobs really work.

Other things to keep in mind.
-Red dots may not work quite like scopes. oftenyou are moving the dot to where the bullets are impacting, instead of adjusting cross hairs to change where your bullets are impacting.
-Also under stand thta a .223 bullet is still headed on it's upward portion of it's arc until it gets over 100 yds out. So even if you were exactly zeroed at 10 yds your bullets would still be hitting high at 50 yards. then factor in the fact that you are 5 times further from your zero distance once you moved out to 50 yds. So, if you start out 2" high at 10 yds you would be 10" high at 50 yds plus the ammount of additional bullet rise in teh upward portion of the arc, before the bullet begins to drop. Then any error in your 10 yard zero would also be multiplied 5 times as well. So you could be over a foot off target.

Try doing an initial zero at 25 yds, until you are no kidding as close to having your point of impact be the same as your point of aim. Then you can go to 50 yds or 100 yds. Then you would only be dealing with a error factor of 2 or 4 instead of five times the error once you move out to further distance.

Also try to eliminate as many variables as possible when sighting in and use a good solid rest on a good solid bench.

tri70 08-25-2013 08:25 PM

Is there a way to put the scope on a bolt rifle to test zero?