You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Torque the Gas Block Screws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks guys. Gun is 2 months new but had already had about 300 rounds through it, probably about 6 visits to the range and average 50 rounds per visit. I have not seen the Wolf 62 grain HP yet, but I wasn't looking very hard. Will see if LGS or Bass Pro shop has it. Don't hunt yet but maybe someday.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #12

Liked 81 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Unfortunately, while US Mil XM193, 55grn ammo isn't cheaply made, it is not as accurate as premium commercial ammo. The Army's design requirements don't require high accuracy just consistent manufacture and high velocities. It's usually better than the cheap commie ammo but not as accurate as it could be.

The Mil XM855, 62grn green tip ammo is even less accurate as it has a steel penetrator in the middle. Because manufacturing variances don't absolutely place the dynamic center of the steel penetrator in the dynamic center of the bullet, it wobbles in flight which lowers accuracy so it makes a poor round for shooting groups even though it's a quality military round.

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." Buckroo Banzai - 1984

Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #13

Steve, thanks! I hadn't thought about NATO ammo in that way but what you said makes sense. I put the regular recoil spring back in, put on a TrueShot Technologies strut, and lightened the trigger pull to between 4.5-5.0 lbs. (Trigger pull was originally about 6.5 lbs, then 5.5 lbs.) Hope to take it to the range soon.

Edit: got a short session at the range today and accuracy seems to be better. The gun still was stringing up and to the right while warming up but the groups seemed smaller. At 100 yards my worst groups were 3.5" and my best groups were 2". Previously I think my groups ranged from 3" to 5", so maybe the barrel strut reduced group sizes by 30% (but I also changed recoil spring back to stock).

Only fired about 70 rounds today. Was lots of fun. The PMC seemed more accurate than the American Eagle or Freedom reman. I brought some Hornaday match ammo but didn't have time to test it. My trigger technique is still rudimentary and might be adding to the group sizes. Need to borrow a Lead Sled to find out, or maybe rest the rear of the stock on sandbags too.

583-series Mini-14
100 yards, 5-shot groups
Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 scope set at 7x
Front of stock resting on sandbags
Sunny, about 70F, very little wind
Trueshot Technologies 5.5" barrel strut
0.045" gas bushing; original recoil spring; front & rear Wilson 1911 buffers
Trigger pull weight 4.5 to 5 lbs (DIY trigger job)
Ammo: Freedom Munitions reman; American Eagle black/white box; PMC Xtac -- all 55 grain

Last edited by livesnearcostco; 03-19-2016 at 11:29 PM.