Torque the Gas Block Screws?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Torque the Gas Block Screws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Torque the Gas Block Screws?

When I first heard about tightening the 4 gas block screws to a specific torque setting, I couldn't think of a logical reason for doing so. My previous expereince with torque settings was limited to automotive projects, and I didn't understand the application for firearms. A couple of metal-worker friends explained the technical benefits to me, so I purchased a torque screwdriver from Ridge Equipment Co. It was a used Sturtevant Richmont Roto-Torq torque screwdriver, & has a 2 to 36 in./lbs. torque range with a 1/4" hex drive. I set it at 30 lbs. & tightened the 4 screws in a rotating pattern to keep the air gap consistent on the gas block halves. I did this concurrently with the reinstall of my trigger assembly received back from masterPsmith. I took this 196-series Mini-14 out to the range & set up at 80 yards (space limitations). My first three shots hit bullseye (on the crosshairs) and were overlapping. The next two were within 1/2 inch of the first three. This rifle was previously the least accurate of the three Mini-14's I currently own. It was OK before, but it's unbelievable now. Setting the torque was an important part of this improvement. Other keys to accurizing this Mini:
- Mo-Rod
- .040 ID gas port bushing
- trigger job, as mentioned
- Wolff extra power recoil spring

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Last edited by KMO; 08-04-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #2

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Most people would be surprised what a Mini can do when properly set-up. Great job.

Jim....

Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It never ceases to amaze me how such a simple thing as screw torque can have such a dramatic effect. Most gun owners never even think about it.

Mini's rock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."