Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Tired of the Hate and lack of mutual respect

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I think it is pretty chill so far, and do appreciate that. I'm chill, how about you guys?

The intention of my post above was to shine some light on the general respect issues (and lack thereof) around here.

Yes, I am fully aware that emotions run high on the interwebz and gun forums. But we all share the love of shooting, so why is there so much rude flaming?

If one member thinks the Hi-Point (or CZ, 1911, Glock, XD, Hi Power, etc...) is a great gun, let him. Maybe it is all he can afford?

So instead of telling that member it is a piece of garbage and he is a douchebag for liking it, an appropriate response would be to discuss the Hi-Point, and point out that it could be a useful stepping stone into something more durable or ergonomic? Constructive vs Destructive discussion. I doubt anyone considers the Hi-Point the end all of defensive pistols. The problem isn't the affection/hate for the Hi-Point, it is the rude manner in which members disagree. Disagreement can be done with respect as easily as with rudeness.

Why does someone feel it is OK to be rude to someone else just because it is done from a distance, over the interwebz? Would either one be that rude to the other if they were standing face to face at a table at a gun show? No way. It would probably lead to a fight. But around here it is almost a badge of honor to be a jackhole to someone.

There is a pervading sense of "Jr. High School clique" around here. I have seen new members with valid viewpoints get jumped just because of a comment they made. Is that "thin skinned" or just plain rude? I know I'm not the only one around here who feels it is rude. And some of the comments in the Premium Forums are shocking. What happens when one of the people being flamed in there steps up and gains access? When they see what has been written about them? Is there really a purpose for that kind of behavior from what I assume are adults who share a common interest?

Imagine a senior member telling someone with a Hi-Point that it is an unsafe piece of garbage. Then imagine seeing a headline on the cover of Time Magazine stating that "The Hi-Point is an unsafe piece of garbage, according to a very senior member of the FTF, one of the largest gun forums in the world"? How does that help the cause of gun ownership?

And since this is the Mini14 forum, I'll end with this. In some states (CA, among others) the Mini 14 can be owned and used with detachable full capacity mags, while an un-registered AR15 cannot. And there is no way to register an AR any more (in CA). If you want an AR it needs to be an OLL with a fixed 10rd mag.

I would rather have a Mini14 with a 20rd or 30rd mag with which to repel boarders, than a tacticool AR15 with a fixed 10rd mag.

A basic used Mini 14 can be bought cheap, and upgraded as finances allow, too. Tinkering can make the Mini14 plenty accurate.

OK. I'm still chill, but feel better. Who else wants to chime in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Everyone just chill out. What's will all the thin skin lately? Cabin Fever Kicking in and everyone wants to get out shooting?

Tango answered a post that he thought, admittedly mistakenly, was in the OPEN RIFLE SECTION.

For the money the OP was posting he wanted to spend, Tango offered an alternative.

He didn't post anything that was out of the ordinary, or even out of line, but it was PERCEIVED to be a slap in the face of the Mini-14 Platform.

Tango reported his own post and asked that it be reviewed. He made a mistake and he manned up and admitted it.

People have opinions. Sometimes people ask open ended questions that other posters respond with information that is counter to what the OP wanted to know.

It's the Interwebz people. If everyone was right all the time, it would be a pretty boring place...

Old 04-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

AR or Mini....right now I would be happy with either.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My Mini was to get me into a .223 platform rifle. I would rather have bought the AR pattern rifle in .223 but I was in Kalifornia at the time and didn't have the scratch for the AR.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 04-17-2010 at 04:07 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #14

I think what gives me a thin skin is when someone starts a thread about a mini question, and some joker has to interject " just buy an AR". I think if the guy wanted to buy an AR he would have been asking questions about an AR.
Then I hate it when every body is an expert on the faults of the mini, even though they have never owned one, and only are repeating crap they read on some forum from some other flamer.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

personally i like my mini 14 and unlike another gun I have (heat seeking moisture missile), it doesnt go off while cleaning it.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #16

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I think it is pretty chill so far, and do
appreciate that. I'm chill, how about you guys?

The intention of my post above was to shine some light on the general respect issues (and lack thereof) around here.

Yes, I am fully aware that emotions run high on the interwebz and gun forums. But we all share the love of shooting, so why is there so much rude flaming?

If one member thinks the Hi-Point (or CZ, 1911, Glock, XD, Hi Power, etc...) is a great gun, let him. Maybe it is all he can afford?

So instead of telling that member it is a piece of garbage and he is a douchebag for liking it, an appropriate response would be to discuss the Hi-Point, and point out that it could be a useful stepping stone into something more durable or ergonomic? Constructive vs Destructive discussion. I doubt anyone considers the Hi-Point the end all of defensive pistols. The problem isn't the affection/hate for the Hi-Point, it is the rude manner in which members disagree. Disagreement can be done with respect as easily as with rudeness.

Why does someone feel it is OK to be rude to someone else just because it is done from a distance, over the interwebz? Would either one be that rude to the other if they were standing face to face at a table at a gun show? No way. It would probably lead to a fight. But around here it is almost a badge of honor to be a jackhole to someone.

There is a pervading sense of "Jr. High School clique" around here. I have seen new members with valid viewpoints get jumped just because of a comment they made. Is that "thin skinned" or just plain rude? I know I'm not the only one around here who feels it is rude. And some of the comments in the Premium Forums are shocking. What happens when one of the people being flamed in there steps up and gains access? When they see what has been written about them? Is there really a purpose for that kind of behavior from what I assume are adults who share a common interest?

Imagine a senior member telling someone with a Hi-Point that it is an unsafe piece of garbage. Then imagine seeing a headline on the cover of Time Magazine stating that "The Hi-Point is an unsafe piece of garbage, according to a very senior member of the FTF, one of the largest gun forums in the world"? How does that help the cause of gun ownership?

And since this is the Mini14 forum, I'll end with this. In some states (CA, among others) the Mini 14 can be owned and used with detachable full capacity mags, while an un-registered AR15 cannot. And there is no way to register an AR any more (in CA). If you want an AR it needs to be an OLL with a fixed 10rd mag.

I would rather have a Mini14 with a 20rd or 30rd mag with which to repel boarders, than a tacticool AR15 with a fixed 10rd mag.

A basic used Mini 14 can be bought cheap, and upgraded as finances allow, too. Tinkering can make the Mini14 plenty accurate.

OK. I'm still chill, but feel better. Who else wants to chime in?
I agree, you pretty much said it all. I got this Mini-14 sub forum started to be constructive and helpfull to Mini owners, wanna-be owners and all others who may want info on the Mini-14. I hope it stays that way and does not become a destructive, war-like forum as others have become. There are more Mini owners out there than people think and it is nice to have a place of their own to share and discuss issues, just like the AR and AK guys do, without being flamed when they post. Just my 2c.....

Jim.....................

Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AR180 for the win. ARMALITE!

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #18

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
I agree, you pretty much said it all. I got this Mini-14 sub forum started to be constructive and helpfull to Mini owners, wanna-be owners and all others who may want info on the Mini-14. I hope it stays that way and does not become a destructive, war-like forum as others have become. There are more Mini owners out there than people think and it is nice to have a place of their own to share and discuss issues, just like the AR and AK guys do, without being flamed when they post. Just my 2c.....

Jim.....................
I am not a big fan of the Mini 14. I don't own one either. There is quite a bit of accurizing info out there.
Here is a no cost option from a man I respect greatly.
Beartooth Bullets > Tips & Comments > Accuracy improvement for Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by General-Logic View Post
AR180 for the win. ARMALITE!
You are 100% correct General-Logic. The AR-180 was awesome. I had one and loved it. Wish they never stopped making the originals.

But your post is basically a minor league version of what I was referring to in the OP. If you want to discuss the AR180, perhaps the place to do it is in the AR15 forum?

Or is your intention to just taunt and flame?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That would be a facetious taunt I believe. A flame would be more like screw AR15s they suck or Mini 14s are for Hollyweird.
I've owned Minis as well as ARs and they are so different that comparing them is as laughable as comparing them to AR180s.
Everyone has their favorite and it's really hard to convince them the other is better. Personally I like most anything that goes bang and makes Liberals crap their panties.

I agree though, if there is a reserved area for it, thats where the thread about it should begin. Being a snail-like n00b here and having no idea about the forum jargon, history, mythos or anything...it's difficult to simply jump into a debate about something with both feet like I own the place. I'd be glad to hang back silently if it helps.

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Closed Thread