Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Tired of the Hate and lack of mutual respect

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Tired of the Hate and lack of mutual respect

It seems like every discussion about Mini14's turns into a Mini14 vs AR15 thread. OK, they each have their pros and cons so why the hate?

I own several of each and like them all. And they all shoot fine.

The main limitation for me is the ballistics of the 5.56x45 round. I like a round with a bit more balls if I'm going to use it past about 300 yards. At that range both work fine.

One of the things I liked about the Mini when I first tried it was the weight. Was it accurate enough for 300 yard shots on ground squirrels? Not really. But neither was an almost comparably light weight CAR 15. But both worked on jackrabbits and yotes.

Mini 14 mags were always expensive, and M16 mags were very affordable.
Mini 14 mags are slower and take more skill to change than AR mags.

But I have had far more malfunctions in AR's than in Minis (but the advent of the Defender "D" Ring solved that). And every one I've had with the Mini was crappy mag related. I've never had a Mini14 malfunction with a Ruger mag. Never.

Traditionalists seem to like Mini14's. And if you want one to be really accurate, bed the action and do a trigger job. Maybe send it to Accuracy Systems?

If an entry level AR is more your speed, by all means get one.

I like both platforms.

I also like constructive conversations about guns. Not posts intended to flame, ambush or incite.

To borrow a question from Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Ah, I guess it's like the Glock vs 1911 thing. People get into what they are into and that's that. I've owned and shot both. I wont say one is better than the other but I still have an AR and not a mini. Around here in the hills of KY the AR just works better for me. They are feather light and shot straight enough to make a coyote fall over at most the ranges you're going to get a shot off around here.

Shoot what you want to man...It's all good. But you're going to run into people that don't like what you like and they are going to talk about it in places (web forums) like this. When it comes to firearms people tend to be pretty big fans of what they have. For me it's 1911's and long guns like an AR,AK,SKS. Others will like a Glock, mini, or maybe whatever the flavor of the month is. It don't really matter. Don't let it get you down. Remember it's your weapon and you buy the ammo. Like my old Dad used to say "Until you start buying me the weapon and the ammo what's it to you?" Sorry. I have the old an on the brain today. It's his birthday today and he has been gone a little while.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Look let me start by saying. I didn't want or intend to start a dang war.

I made a mistake and thought the thread was in the General semi-auto section. I had not pay attention to the fact that there was a mini section. That is not a slam on anyone. Just never paid much attention to it because I don't own a mini and don't know much other than the ones I had dealt with in the past and they all shot like shotguns at best.

I was not hating on anyone.

Even you mini guys have to admit that the mini has never been known as a superb tackdriver. Again it was not a slam on anyone just a fact proven over and over.

The point of the post I made was to the OP he asked if a mini-14T was worth $895. I only said he can get a very accurate AR (Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit Rifle) for a little bit more money. I said this as to give him another option. I thought he was asking about options with the mini and other semi-autos which the AR-15 falls into.

After this post say what you will I am leaving this section to never set courser back in it.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Look let me start by saying. I didn't want or intend to start a dang war.

I made a mistake and thought the thread was in the General semi-auto section. I had not pay attention to the fact that there was a mini section. That is not a slam on anyone. Just never paid much attention to it because I don't own a mini and don't know much other than the ones I had dealt with in the past and they all shot like shotguns at best.

I was not hating on anyone.

Even you mini guys have to admit that the mini has never been known as a superb tackdriver. Again it was not a slam on anyone just a fact proven over and over.

The point of the post I made was to the OP he asked if a mini-14T was worth $895. I only said he can get a very accurate AR (Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit Rifle) for a little bit more money. I said this as to give him another option. I thought he was asking about options with the mini and other semi-autos which the AR-15 falls into.

After this post say what you will I am leaving this section to never set courser back in it.
No sweat Tango. You stepped up to stop the Glock flaming, and I figured it was time for the same on behalf of the Minis.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You all suck. The AR-7 is the superior platform all around.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #7

Nobody ever hates on my Beretta PX4 storm. I feel left out.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Everyone just chill out. What's will all the thin skin lately? Cabin Fever Kicking in and everyone wants to get out shooting?

Tango answered a post that he thought, admittedly mistakenly, was in the OPEN RIFLE SECTION.

For the money the OP was posting he wanted to spend, Tango offered an alternative.

He didn't post anything that was out of the ordinary, or even out of line, but it was PERCEIVED to be a slap in the face of the Mini-14 Platform.

Tango reported his own post and asked that it be reviewed. He made a mistake and he manned up and admitted it.

People have opinions. Sometimes people ask open ended questions that other posters respond with information that is counter to what the OP wanted to know.

It's the Interwebz people. If everyone was right all the time, it would be a pretty boring place...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
It's the Interwebz people. If everyone was right all the time, it would be a pretty boring place...
Ineff is right all the time isn't he?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

And, as we know, I do my best to contribute to the lack of boredom by being wrong most of the time!

Closed Thread