tips on purchasing a mini 14 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > tips on purchasing a mini 14

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

Correction: in this the mini 14 forum, he was looking for purchase advise - not some know it all barging in and literally telling him the guns suck

YOU had some bad experiences. So what. I think Glocks suck but I'm not going into the Glock forum and saying that. In other words you are kind of being a jagoff here dude.
And my advice was not to PURCHASE one.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

(sorry but this computer doesn't like the quote button)

AR's are nice but I want a mini.

I am familiar with AR's mainly due to family and friends owning them. The only experience I have had with the M16 in the Navy was to qualify with the rifle (which isn't mandatory). Even then I only did it so that I would have two full rows of ribbons on my chest. I love the gun and think it is fantastic but I don't feel like buying one right now.

And I don't care if the rifle may need a little bit of machining here and there because my job in the Navy is a machinist. I would actually prefer it that way because it feels like part of me went into making the gun what it is. Same reason why I am taking a crappy old Mosin Nagant and bringing it up to speed.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #23

Liked 3055 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 2077

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Why do people buy those junk ass mosins? Or lorcin pistols, or Phoenix arms? Or hi points? All junk yet millions of the things are bought. There are good products and bad products and there is going to be people that buy bad products for any number of reasons. I've worked on and shot enough of all the guns I've mentioned that I know without a doubt that none of them will ever be owned by me. The poster asked for advice on a mini, I voiced my educated opinion. Just because you didn't like it does not make my opinion wrong or invalid.
AGAIN.....

what model mini did you own? what problems did you have?

if you want us to accept your opinion as valid or helpful....offer something other than "x gun sucks, don't buy it." otherwise, i don't see where someone wanting to buy a mini should consider your opinion at all.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
And my advice was not to PURCHASE one.
and you gave NO VALID REASONS to listen to your advice.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Correction: in this the mini 14 forum, he was looking for purchase advise - not some know it all barging in and literally telling him the guns suck

YOU had some bad experiences. So what. I think Glocks suck but I'm not going into the Glock forum and saying that. In other words you are kind of being a jagoff here dude.
i don't recall him ever giving us ANY experiences OR reasons. all i've seen so far is "mini's suck." i don't know about everyone else, but i am blown away by that expert evaluation of the firearm.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 265 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post

I am familiar with AR's mainly due to family and friends owning them. The only experience I have had with the M16 in the Navy was to qualify with the rifle (which isn't mandatory). Even then I only did it so that I would have two full rows of ribbons on my chest. I love the gun and think it is fantastic but I don't feel like buying one right now.

And I don't care if the rifle may need a little bit of machining here and there because my job in the Navy is a machinist. I would actually prefer it that way because it feels like part of me went into making the gun what it is. Same reason why I am taking a crappy old Mosin Nagant and bringing it up to speed.
I like your attitude and there is a certain amt of satisfaction in DIY. I highly advise you to wait until the present insanity passes.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post

BINGO! a lot of mini owners simply enjoy tinkering with the gun to get the best out of it.

mini's aren't perfect, and there are lemons out there. i'm no blind lover, there are some concerns about the mini. but all i can tell you is my experiences. my mini has been a great rifle and worth every penny. i would buy another if i was a rich guy. i always wanted a stainless tactical.

anyway, i hope my previous post answered some of your questions, and my apologies for the off topic discussion. continue to ask away, this forum doesn't normally have these problems.

oh....and some inspiration for you...
mini-14-wood-stock-sling.jpg  

Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I own a mini Ranch Rifle SS purchased in 1995 for $420- I was disappointed by it accuracy (outside of 50 yds), lack of reliability w aftermarket mags etc. not to mention trying to get the bolt out w scope attached - a true joy.

I have talked to Ruger techs as there are more after market fixes (many of which may actually make things worse.) & Ruger will not comment on them. I got the feeling they regard it as a WIP. Early models were scope nightmares - they corrected that. Accuracy issues - they have learned a lot in 10 years and you can trace the developments. Ruger Engineers are still trying and they offered to take mine back to buy a new one @ discounted price.

However, if you are going to go the Mini 14 route, I w go w detachable scope rings and Tech aftermarket manual sights for back up.
you should have come to mini fans....most of which have helped me 10X more than any ruger rep ever did. guys like masterp on this forum have these minis shooting crazy good!

did you ever try a strut to improve accuracy? trigger job or bedding?

the old mini's did have a problem with accuracy, but most found a strut cut groups in half or better. as far as scope mounting, i'm glad i never had to deal with that on the older minis. mine is a ranch model with scope mounts. and i use QD rings, so getting the bolt out is no problem.

my mini can skip a can around at 100 yards, maybe i'm easy....but that was always good enough for me.

Last edited by hawkguy; 03-16-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: i edited it

Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #29

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw

Why do people buy those junk ass mosins? Or lorcin pistols, or Phoenix arms? Or hi points? All junk yet millions of the things are bought. There are good products and bad products and there is going to be people that buy bad products for any number of reasons. I've worked on and shot enough of all the guns I've mentioned that I know without a doubt that none of them will ever be owned by me. The poster asked for advice on a mini, I voiced my educated opinion. Just because you didn't like it does not make my opinion wrong or invalid.
How many other 1000 yard guns can you buy for 120$? Mosins are good true shooting guns. I absolutely love mine and shoot it weekly.

Found you a new avatar
image-2148891540.jpg  

Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 265 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
you should have come to mini fans....most of which have helped me 10X more than any ruger rep ever did. guys like masterp on this forum have these minis shooting crazy good!

did you ever try a strut to improve accuracy? trigger job or bedding?

the old mini's did have a problem with accuracy, but most found a strut cut groups in half or better. as far as scope mounting, i'm glad i never had to deal with that on the older minis. mine is a ranch model with scope mounts. and i use QD rings, so getting the bolt out is no problem.

my mini can skip a can around at 100 yards, maybe i'm easy....but that was always good enough for me.
I put a Hogue stock ($54) on it and it is an improvement & I got 4 - 20 rd Ruger mags before prices went nutz...I will try to find a load she likes when the weather warms up. Maybe I just never found the right load.

Worst part, my Bud & I both bought Minis at the same time - his was super reliable w bargain basement ammo while mine went Smuckers. Of course, my Bud has not let me forget this...

Closed Thread