tips on purchasing a mini 14 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > tips on purchasing a mini 14

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

If by good you mean he is thumbs-up about every gun he owns or borrows to shoot in his many videos, that's true. If yo mean objective I certainly don't agree.

The guy has fun, and shares it, but he is NOT very knowledgeable about guns and ammo at all and couldn't really "review" a gun if his hillbilly life depended on it. He is very superficial. Kinda the typical thinks-he-knows-it-all teacher-and-pretends-when-realizes-he-doesn't, which he is (a good ol' overpaid and underworked gubment worka in the backwater) having fun with his class while his barefoot wife videos him.

The first minute of the video alone is pretty embarassing... When the rear sight is literally so loose it's sliding around he keeps going. And then he claims it's popular with benchrest shooters? Pleeeeze!
Your opinion if the mini 14 is noted (and ignored lol)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #12

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1879

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Here's a tip, don't buy one. They suck. Get a real M1A or an AR 15
i have an AR-15. and i still like my mini better....what now?

and an M1A costs at least twice as much as a mini 14. not everyone has 2 grand lying around.

and what model of mini 14 did you own? what bad experiences did you have?

Last edited by hawkguy; 03-16-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: addition

Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
HockaLouis;1177928]If by good you mean he is thumbs-up about every gun he owns or borrows to shoot in his many videos, that's true. If yo mean objective I certainly don't agree.

The guy has fun, and shares it, but he is NOT very knowledgeable about guns and ammo at all and couldn't really "review" a gun if his hillbilly life depended on it. He is very superficial. Kinda the typical thinks-he-knows-it-all teacher-and-pretends-when-realizes-he-doesn't, which he is (a good ol' overpaid and underworked gubment worka in the backwater) having fun with his class while his barefoot wife videos him.
fair enough. but do you think this is the ONLY favorable review of a mini 14?
do you want me to pull up a few dozen more?

Quote:
The first minute of the video alone is pretty embarassing... When the rear sight is literally so loose it's sliding around he keeps going. And then he claims it's popular with benchrest shooters? Pleeeeze!
have you ever owned the mini 14?

the only reason the sight come loose is that the set screw as not tightened enough. this is simply an operator error. you literally just tighten it some more. would you judge an AR-15 in a negative manner for having a scope ring or vertical grip come loose? hopefully you are just judging the review itself.

and he was still hitting with a loose sight!!!! talk about accuracy!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I've wanted a mini 14 for a while. I like that it has a similiar action to the M! Garand and I like that I can shoot .223. It looks good and I enjoy shooting them. Now in my current situation I cannot look at prices and last time I was in America the prices didn't look anything like the kind of prices I am seeing online, then again I have no clue how this whole polical thing goin on is effecting the price of this firearm. My plan right now is to have my father purchase one while I am on deployment. To do so I need to know a price range to give to him. I am thinking about getting one in stainless.
What kind of a price range do you think I should go with? He's not in Cali so that isn't an issue.

Also, from my limited ammount of knowledge on this firearm I want to go with either the ranch or tactical series since they can both camber 5.56x45 and .223. I also know that I want one produced from 2005 and up. The serial should begin with 580 on the ranch rifles produced during and past 2005 if I am not mistaken.
Is there anything else I should know?
well, as much as i like the mini 14, i would wait for things to calm down. its hard to come across decent deals on any auto-loading carbine right now. and even if you don't get "bent over" on the price, then you'll be scavenging for ammo like the rest of us.

i wouldn't ever pay more more than $800-850 for any mini myself. i would set the normal, pre-panic prices between $650-750. and imo, that was even start to look a bit pricey.

i tend to favor the ranch model for the longer barrel, wood stock, and peace of mind. the peace of mind part comes from having a gun that you don't have to worry about being in most state or federal bans.

if looking in the used market, seek one with a tapered, thicker barrel. they are better shooters right out of the box. of course a strut will have the thinner barrels shooting right next to them.

stick with factory mags only. they cost a bit more, but perform perfectly. as stated, they will be hard to find and pricey right now.

as for any who chime in with "the mini sucks," i will say it simply isn't so. i can't say why some hate the mini 14 like it stole their girlfriend, but it is so funny when you find at least 50% of the posters making these statements never owned a mini, or haven't owned an updated 580 model. its just strange. IF i hated the AK-47, i don't think i'd spend my time in the AK-47 forum trying to talk people out of a gun they like....but to each their own...

i own both mini and AR, and i like my mini 14 better. of course , like most things,this is just my opinion. but at least my opinion stems off experience of owning both firearms. my mini has been a good, dependable gun in the entire time i have owned it.

good luck finding your mini. don't overpay because of this panic. it would be smarter to wait.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhaag19 View Post
Your obviously military. Why not get a weapon your familiar with. AR-15
I'd assume you already mags for it
sheesh! the guy says he likes and wants a mini 14, and the response is "get an AR-15." if he was interested in an AR-15, he would be in that forum.

how about answering the original question? this starting to have the feel of some AR-15 super fans trolling.....

Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #16

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw
Here's a tip, don't buy one. They suck. Get a real M1A or an AR 15
Sounds like an educated answer :/ if they suck so much, why have they been produced and sold like hotcakes since the 70's?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco

Sounds like an educated answer :/ if they suck so much, why have they been produced and sold like hotcakes since the 70's?
Why do people buy those junk ass mosins? Or lorcin pistols, or Phoenix arms? Or hi points? All junk yet millions of the things are bought. There are good products and bad products and there is going to be people that buy bad products for any number of reasons. I've worked on and shot enough of all the guns I've mentioned that I know without a doubt that none of them will ever be owned by me. The poster asked for advice on a mini, I voiced my educated opinion. Just because you didn't like it does not make my opinion wrong or invalid.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I own a mini Ranch Rifle SS purchased in 1995 for $420- I was disappointed by it accuracy (outside of 50 yds), lack of reliability w aftermarket mags etc. not to mention trying to get the bolt out w scope attached - a true joy.

I have talked to Ruger techs as there are more after market fixes (many of which may actually make things worse.) & Ruger will not comment on them. I got the feeling they regard it as a WIP. Early models were scope nightmares - they corrected that. Accuracy issues - they have learned a lot in 10 years and you can trace the developments. Ruger Engineers are still trying and they offered to take mine back to buy a new one @ discounted price.

However, if you are going to go the Mini 14 route, I w go w detachable scope rings and Tech aftermarket manual sights for back up.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #19

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah the older mini-14 had problems. i had a ranch rifle. My biggest problem was cheep aftermarket magazines ( thanks to the 94 AWB ) I ended up trading it in for a Ar-15. But I've heard good things about the new ones. the barrel is thicker and they fixed the problems.

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII

Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw

Why do people buy those junk ass mosins? Or lorcin pistols, or Phoenix arms? Or hi points? All junk yet millions of the things are bought. There are good products and bad products and there is going to be people that buy bad products for any number of reasons. I've worked on and shot enough of all the guns I've mentioned that I know without a doubt that none of them will ever be owned by me. The poster asked for advice on a mini, I voiced my educated opinion. Just because you didn't like it does not make my opinion wrong or invalid.
Correction: in this the mini 14 forum, he was looking for purchase advise - not some know it all barging in and literally telling him the guns suck

YOU had some bad experiences. So what. I think Glocks suck but I'm not going into the Glock forum and saying that. In other words you are kind of being a jagoff here dude.

Closed Thread