Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   tips on purchasing a mini 14 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/tips-purchasing-mini-14-a-86615/)

saviorslegacy 03-15-2013 04:29 PM

tips on purchasing a mini 14

I've wanted a mini 14 for a while. I like that it has a similiar action to the M! Garand and I like that I can shoot .223. It looks good and I enjoy shooting them. Now in my current situation I cannot look at prices and last time I was in America the prices didn't look anything like the kind of prices I am seeing online, then again I have no clue how this whole polical thing goin on is effecting the price of this firearm. My plan right now is to have my father purchase one while I am on deployment. To do so I need to know a price range to give to him. I am thinking about getting one in stainless.
What kind of a price range do you think I should go with? He's not in Cali so that isn't an issue.

Also, from my limited ammount of knowledge on this firearm I want to go with either the ranch or tactical series since they can both camber 5.56x45 and .223. I also know that I want one produced from 2005 and up. The serial should begin with 580 on the ranch rifles produced during and past 2005 if I am not mistaken.
Is there anything else I should know?

JTJ 03-15-2013 06:28 PM

You are in the right year group. Right now supplies are short and prices are high. 5.56x45/223 ammo is even hard to find. CDNN had some very good prices before things went nuts but dont have any available now. 5 round mags are cheap but hicaps are not. After market mags have not been reliable for the most part.

tri70 03-16-2013 01:19 AM

I saw a new mini 30 at a local shop for $1059. That's still too high but no one has any either. It has sold now but no new ones have been on the shelf since. I even spoke to a counter guy at Academy Sports and he can't keep any on shelf, they don't come in very often. Gun broker or have some buddies check the closest deal for 100 miles. It be conversation at a coffee shop that will network better.

7mmstw 03-16-2013 05:53 AM

Here's a tip, don't buy one. They suck. Get a real M1A or an AR 15

ajhaag19 03-16-2013 06:49 AM

Your obviously military. Why not get a weapon your familiar with. AR-15
I'd assume you already mags for it

chloeshooter 03-16-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7mmstw

Guy already decided he wants a mini 14. He wasn't looking for some doorknob to tell him it's a dumb idea !

austin92 03-16-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Here's a tip, shut your mouth. They're great guns

7mmstw 03-16-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin92

Here's a tip, shut your mouth. They're great guns

Great in what way? Proprietary mags? Desperate need of a trigger job? Inaccurate? Expensive when they are investment cast? Every one in an even more desperate need of proper bedding? Terrible sights?

chloeshooter 03-16-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Great in what way? Proprietary mags? Desperate need of a trigger job? Inaccurate? Expensive when they are investment cast? Every one in an even more desperate need of proper bedding? Terrible sights?

Or, you could watch this and draw your own conclusions. This guy generally gives good product reviews: http://youtu.be/ej39umHaB08
As video shows these are 'fun guns'. If you are too serious to have fun don't bother with them

HockaLouis 03-16-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1177904)
Or, you could watch this and draw your own conclusions. This guy generally gives good product reviews...

If by good you mean he is thumbs-up about every gun he owns or borrows to shoot in his many videos, that's true. If yo mean objective I certainly don't agree.

The guy has fun, and shares it, but he is NOT very knowledgeable about guns and ammo at all and couldn't really "review" a gun if his hillbilly life depended on it. He is very superficial. Kinda the typical thinks-he-knows-it-all teacher-and-pretends-when-realizes-he-doesn't, which he is (a good ol' overpaid and underworked gubment worka in the backwater) having fun with his class while his barefoot wife videos him.

The first minute of the video alone is pretty embarassing... When the rear sight is literally so loose it's sliding around he keeps going. And then he claims it's popular with benchrest shooters? Pleeeeze!