Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   it is time (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/time-98227/)

CaseyChadwell 10-06-2013 02:41 AM

it is time

I have always wanted a mini 14 but have always went with the ar because of accuracy. I have a bolt gun to reach out and touch things with a 223 round and I think it is high time I break down and get me a mini. I'm thinking used, that way I can tinker with it some to get the accuracy where I'd like it. Anybody know what the minis are going for these days used?

bwraven 10-06-2013 03:59 AM

It all depends on where you are located.

Around here (WA) I see them from $400 and up.

mrm14 10-06-2013 04:13 AM

I don't know what used mini's cost now, but I can tell you, whatever you do get a 580 series, not an older 180 series if you care for accuracy.

Mercator 10-06-2013 04:15 AM

The yellow brick road must be leading to WA. Seriously, I haven't seen them below $600 since the dear leader got reelected. The heartland prices.

CaseyChadwell 10-06-2013 04:36 AM

I'm not too worried about accuracy at this particular moment. I have a 223 howa that is damned accurate, so I am wanting reliability right now. I want something that over the next few months I can throw a few bucks into and some time and make it accurate for what I will be using it for.

hawkguy 10-07-2013 03:43 AM

i almost shied away from the mini because of the inaccuracy rumors....i'm really glad I got one anyway.

my 580 tapered barrel, with a bit of tweaking will do 2" and under regularly. its just a fun little gun that shoots well enough to do just about anything you need it to imo. I am convinced that 90% of those who complain about the accuracy 1) heard it from someone else 2) had a much older mini and never tried to mod it 3) wonder why they get 4" groups (while shooting total garbage ammo with no rifle training to boot...:p)

idk...I can't speak for everybody...but I think the mini has never let me down accuracy wise.... mine is not a tack driver....but certainly a capable rifle for most any practical purpose that comes to mind....

sandog 10-07-2013 01:06 PM

You don't necessarily have to get a newer series Mini, if you can get an older pencil barrel one accuracy can be just fine with the addition of a strut. If the price on a used Mini is decent just figure in an extra $100 or so for a strut. Other mods such as smoothing the trigger, reducing the overgassing and adding buffers, re torquing the gas block, etc, are pretty inexpensive, like about $3 if you do the work yourself. See my thread below "Improving the Mini". Mine now shoots 1 1/2"-1 3/4" with just about any off the shelf ammo, and with Match bullet hand loads around 1" groups. Vertical stringing is pretty much a thing of the past , and the barrel doesn't get as hot either.

RevJammer 10-07-2013 01:44 PM

I've always wanted the mini 14 because that's what the "A-Team" used!

"I pity the fool..."

RJ

CaseyChadwell 10-08-2013 01:17 PM

And just when I have decided to get me a mini, I ran into a man with a great deal on an AR15. Decisions decisions...

CaseyChadwell 10-09-2013 08:04 PM

Proud new owner of a ruger mini14 195 ranch rifle...