Thinking my next purchase will be an M1A - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Thinking my next purchase will be an M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2499 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 1946

After using the Mini-14, I've come to realize that stepping up

I would want the 30.06, anyway. Which retros me right back

to the Garand, anyway. But I am a large guy.

.308 just isn't my cup of tea. But are you sure you wouldn't

want the extra accuracy, and maybe higher caliber of a Ruger Scout or Guide

bolt action?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i have no real experience with the M1A. i do however, really want one and have for years now. every time i see one at a LGS i ask to handle it.

IF you can get past the initial 1500-3000 investment for a quality M1A.....i can't , in my poor days i had vehicles worth less than an M1A ...makes me sound really old, but i'm not that old, my cars were just really really sh*tty . as said, IF you can get over that purchase, then you have .75 cents to a buck a round to enjoy the thing.

i would love an M1a, but i am positive i would not shoot it enough to merit the cost. imo, a minum of 200 rounds is needed to have a good range/plinking trip....that amount of ammo has me concerned if it is 223.........308 will normally double that cost.

these are MY reasons i haven't taken the dive....if you feel it is something you could use and enjoy, please get it.....i will be forever jealous....

all that said....i could have sold my cheap AR off during the black rifle craze and likly covered 80-100% of an M1A. can anyway say missed opportunity.....?

it would have been a scout squad for me.....
Hawkguy;
I have three MiA's. Two Match Targets and on Loaded model. I feel so deprived -- NOT...!

The Match Target models I paid through the nose to get, because they were sio hard to find at that time. And, I knew I had better get them, while I could, regardless of the price.

I bought the loaded model used, at a good buy, because I wanted one to play with, and to learn with, without messing with the Match Target models setup.

I may let you hold one of them for a few minutes...

Bill
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
After using the Mini-14, I've come to realize that stepping up

I would want the 30.06, anyway. Which retros me right back

to the Garand, anyway. But I am a large guy.

.308 just isn't my cup of tea. But are you sure you wouldn't

want the extra accuracy, and maybe higher caliber of a Ruger Scout or Guide

bolt action?
I prefer the .30-06 myself... Especially in a bolt action firearm.

In military loadings the performance of the .30-06 and the 7.62X51 are very similiar. The advantage to the .30-06 is, is that it can be safely loaded higher, with greater capabilities.

The .30-06, when loaded properly is a true 1000 yard cartridge, while the 7.62X51 is more of a 800 yard cartridge. With that being said, how many shooters are going to do much shooting at 800 and 1000 yards? Not very many. But, they like to talk about it.

Although in a Semi-Auto firearm, a shooter should stay close to the military loadings, to reduce wear and tear on their firearm.

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 12-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #14

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
for the most part, a bolt action is more accurate than most M1A's, but, most M1A's are more accurate than most shooters. the military has used the M14 for a sniper platform and still does in limited applications. the M1A is a wonderful rifle.

there is still surplus ammo for them as well and lots of factory ammo offerings available for it. from surplus to match grade ammo.

i own an AR, but would trade it for an M1A in a second!
The important distinction is that the military doesn't just use an M14 for a sniper platform. There is a considerable amount of work that goes into getting an M14 or M1 A to a point to get it to that leve of precision.

Bedding th eaction, adjusting forend tension, installing a match barrel, unitizing and truing the gas system, getting a optic mounting system that doesn't shift due to action flex.

If someone want's a sniper rifle that is an auto loader there are cheaper an lower maintenence rifle out there. In fact an AR based .308 is much simpler, more inherently accurate, and lower maintenence for retaining accuracy standards than an M1A/M14 based platform.

But for an open sighted battle rifle, it's the tits.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #15

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Hawkguy;
I have three MiA's. Two Match Targets and on Loaded model. I feel so deprived -- NOT...!

The Match Target models I paid through the nose to get, because they were sio hard to find at that time. And, I knew I had better get them, while I could, regardless of the price.

I bought the loaded model used, at a good buy, because I wanted one to play with, and to learn with, without messing with the Match Target models setup.

I may let you hold one of them for a few minutes...

Bill
good to see you around again, mr. Stillwater!

and I dunno, every time I hold an M1A.....I want an M1A......

think i'll stay away for awhile.....

Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

When pawn shops used have barrels of M1 rifles for $100 each I never bought one for all the reasons SSGN_Doc posted. I never shot an accurate M1. Plus most M1's that were in a pawn shop were 30 cal. The 30 cal is a lame cartridge in a rifle.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #17

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
When pawn shops used have barrels of M1 rifles for $100 each I never bought one for all the reasons SSGN_Doc posted. I never shot an accurate M1. Plus most M1's that were in a pawn shop were 30 cal. The 30 cal is a lame cartridge in a rifle.
I think you may be confusing the M1 carbine (.30 caliber US Carbine), M1 Garand (.30-06 ), and M1A (7.62x51mm NATO or .308 Win).

I don't remember any $100 M1A rifles. I remembers some rough M1 Garands that were a few hundred bucks that were pieced together. And some M1 Carbines that were also parts guns that were around $200 or so, bug that would have been in the early 1980s.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The important distinction is that the military doesn't just use an M14 for a sniper platform. There is a considerable amount of work that goes into getting an M14 or M1 A to a point to get it to that leve of precision.

Bedding th eaction, adjusting forend tension, installing a match barrel, unitizing and truing the gas system, getting a optic mounting system that doesn't shift due to action flex.

If someone want's a sniper rifle that is an auto loader there are cheaper an lower maintenence rifle out there. In fact an AR based .308 is much simpler, more inherently accurate, and lower maintenence for retaining accuracy standards than an M1A/M14 based platform.

But for an open sighted battle rifle, it's the tits.
but they also expended the same amount of effort on all rifles they use for a sniper platform. even the bolt action sniper rifles get a lot of work and attention.

but i agree, that now they can put together an AR rifle that's either just as accurate or more accurate, much easier than what they have to do to an M14 to gain the same amount of accuracy.

but i still think most M1A's are still more accurate than most people can shoot. but in all honesty, IMO that really applies to most rifles in general.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I think you may be confusing the M1 carbine (.30 caliber US Carbine), M1 Garand (.30-06 ), and M1A (7.62x51mm NATO or .308 Win).

I don't remember any $100 M1A rifles. I remembers some rough M1 Garands that were a few hundred bucks that were pieced together. And some M1 Carbines that were also parts guns that were around $200 or so, bug that would have been in the early 1980s.
in the late 80's a SA M1A was going for about $600. i paid about $750 for mine in about 1990 or 1991.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 772 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Doc made good points.
I bought a SA M1A Nat. Match a year ago. A good scope and mount, and I was in business. I reload so that helps the cost. No matter, it's great to shoot. Very accurate. I use mostly the iron sights. Quick on multiple targets.
I also liked the history. I prefer a wood stock.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Axxe55 Likes This