Thinking my next purchase will be an M1A
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Thinking my next purchase will be an M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Thinking my next purchase will be an M1A

I really like the look and classic feel of them. Wont be able to afford much range time, but how are they as far as accuracy? I am looking for my next rifle to be something I can reach out and touch someone with.
Anything I need to know?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #2

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I really like the look and classic feel of them. Wont be able to afford much range time, but how are they as far as accuracy? I am looking for my next rifle to be something I can reach out and touch someone with.
Anything I need to know?
Accuracy is pretty good for a service grade rifle. They make Match models that have better triggers, Better barrels, trued operating rods, unitized gas blocks, and match sights, along with bedded or synthetic stocks. all of those things add up, though.

Lots of folks think that they will put a scope ion one and turn it into an autoloading "Sniper rifle". There are a few good scope mounts out there, but you start with the disadvantage of having an open topped action that is not the greatest for rigidity and not working a mount loose, of getting one to attach the same every time.

Also unless you put the action in a synthetic or special stock with aluminum bedding, the stock will need to be re bedded regularly to maintain optimum accuracy. Getting the action and barrel/for-end tension just right is a bit of a trick.

I have a National match model that is pretty accurate, but it's not just an out of the box M1A. Though even the out of the box M1A is still a pretty accurate rifle. But I tell folks, if they are looking for precision platform in a .308 autoloader, they are better off getting into an AR-10 type rifle. They are more inherently accurate in that they don't have the flex of an open action, they don't have as much reciprocating weight hanging off the barrel. They don't have wood stock issues, They are scope ready if you get a flat top. Triggers and accessories abound in comparison to the M1A, and they can be installed more easily by the owner without the specialized skills, and tools of an M1A/M14 armorer.

So if you want an M1A as a precision platform, just understand that there is a bit required after the initial investment to get it there and keep it there.

If you just want a super cool, Bad arse rifle that is combat accurate with reach out to 800 yes or even a 1000 in teh right hands and with the right equipment and ammo. Then get an M1A. If you want what is probably the peak of wood and steel military autoloader design, then get the M1A. If you can be happy with some of the best military iron sights, get an M1A and forget scopes without a lot of extra investment to get the most out of it.

I love my M1A, but I love it for what it is, not for what it isn't. I'm building an AR10 for that.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

Accuracy is pretty good for a service grade rifle. They make Match models that have better triggers, Better barrels, trued operating rods, unitized gas blocks, and match sights, along with bedded or synthetic stocks. all of those things add up, though.

Lots of folks think that they will put a scope ion one and turn it into an autoloading "Sniper rifle". There are a few good scope mounts out there, but you start with the disadvantage of having an open topped action that is not the greatest for rigidity and not working a mount loose, of getting one to attach the same every time.

Also unless you put the action in a synthetic or special stock with aluminum bedding, the stock will need to be re bedded regularly to maintain optimum accuracy. Getting the action and barrel/for-end tension just right is a bit of a trick.

I have a National match model that is pretty accurate, but it's not just an out of the box M1A. Though even the out of the box M1A is still a pretty accurate rifle. But I tell folks, if they are looking for precision platform in a .308 autoloader, they are better off getting into an AR-10 type rifle. They are more inherently accurate in that they don't have the flex of an open action, they don't have as much reciprocating weight hanging off the barrel. They don't have wood stock issues, They are scope ready if you get a flat top. Triggers and accessories abound in comparison to the M1A, and they can be installed more easily by the owner without the specialized skills, and tools of an M1A/M14 armorer.

So if you want an M1A as a precision platform, just understand that there is a bit required after the initial investment to get it there and keep it there.

If you just want a super cool, Bad arse rifle that is combat accurate with reach out to 800 yes or even a 1000 in teh right hands and with the right equipment and ammo. Then get an M1A. If you want what is probably the peak of wood and steel military autoloader design, then get the M1A. If you can be happy with some of the best military iron sights, get an M1A and forget scopes without a lot of extra investment to get the most out of it.

I love my M1A, but I love it for what it is, not for what it isn't. I'm building an AR10 for that.
That's a damn good way of putting it, and exactly why I want one myself.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1871

Quote:
Anything I need to know?
i have no real experience with the M1A. i do however, really want one and have for years now. every time i see one at a LGS i ask to handle it.

IF you can get past the initial 1500-3000 investment for a quality M1A.....i can't , in my poor days i had vehicles worth less than an M1A ...makes me sound really old, but i'm not that old, my cars were just really really sh*tty . as said, IF you can get over that purchase, then you have .75 cents to a buck a round to enjoy the thing.

i would love an M1a, but i am positive i would not shoot it enough to merit the cost. imo, a minum of 200 rounds is needed to have a good range/plinking trip....that amount of ammo has me concerned if it is 223.........308 will normally double that cost.

these are MY reasons i haven't taken the dive....if you feel it is something you could use and enjoy, please get it.....i will be forever jealous....

all that said....i could have sold my cheap AR off during the black rifle craze and likly covered 80-100% of an M1A. can anyway say missed opportunity.....?

it would have been a scout squad for me.....

Old 11-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It would be the standard model all the way for me.

I held one once. It felt like I was losing my virginity again.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1871

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It would be the standard model all the way for me.

I held one once. It felt like I was losing my virginity again.
LMAO! i know what you mean!

then i turn over the price tag and realize this pretty maiden is WAY out of my league!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i like the M1A. very sweet shooting rifle with decent accuracy. i had one years ago when the price of them was still reasonable. i would love to own another one, but the prices now are not what i consider reasonable at all.

i think that if you accept it for what it is, and don't expect it to be something it's not, you'll be very pleased with it. it's heavy and solidly built rifle that has decent accuracy for a semi-auto rifle.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

Wow thanks for the detailed response. You described exactly what I am looking for. Fact is it is probably accurate enough to out perform me anyway so no matter what I won't be hitting a nickle at even 200yds. I just don't have the skill set. My problem is the expense of ammo.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Wow thanks for the detailed response. You described exactly what I am looking for. Fact is it is probably accurate enough to out perform me anyway so no matter what I won't be hitting a nickle at even 200yds. I just don't have the skill set. My problem is the expense of ammo.
for the most part, a bolt action is more accurate than most M1A's, but, most M1A's are more accurate than most shooters. the military has used the M14 for a sniper platform and still does in limited applications. the M1A is a wonderful rifle.

there is still surplus ammo for them as well and lots of factory ammo offerings available for it. from surplus to match grade ammo.

i own an AR, but would trade it for an M1A in a second!

Old 11-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3158 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Accuracy is pretty good for a service grade rifle. They make Match models that have better triggers, Better barrels, trued operating rods, unitized gas blocks, and match sights, along with bedded or synthetic stocks. all of those things add up, though. Lots of folks think that they will put a scope ion one and turn it into an autoloading "Sniper rifle". There are a few good scope mounts out there, but you start with the disadvantage of having an open topped action that is not the greatest for rigidity and not working a mount loose, of getting one to attach the same every time. Also unless you put the action in a synthetic or special stock with aluminum bedding, the stock will need to be re bedded regularly to maintain optimum accuracy. Getting the action and barrel/for-end tension just right is a bit of a trick. I have a National match model that is pretty accurate, but it's not just an out of the box M1A. Though even the out of the box M1A is still a pretty accurate rifle. But I tell folks, if they are looking for precision platform in a .308 autoloader, they are better off getting into an AR-10 type rifle. They are more inherently accurate in that they don't have the flex of an open action, they don't have as much reciprocating weight hanging off the barrel. They don't have wood stock issues, They are scope ready if you get a flat top. Triggers and accessories abound in comparison to the M1A, and they can be installed more easily by the owner without the specialized skills, and tools of an M1A/M14 armorer. So if you want an M1A as a precision platform, just understand that there is a bit required after the initial investment to get it there and keep it there. If you just want a super cool, Bad arse rifle that is combat accurate with reach out to 800 yes or even a 1000 in teh right hands and with the right equipment and ammo. Then get an M1A. If you want what is probably the peak of wood and steel military autoloader design, then get the M1A. If you can be happy with some of the best military iron sights, get an M1A and forget scopes without a lot of extra investment to get the most out of it. I love my M1A, but I love it for what it is, not for what it isn't. I'm building an AR10 for that.

I love both of mine, my 1-A and my "E-2"....even more accurate when it's "Bagged"

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*