thinking of buying my cousins mini 14?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > thinking of buying my cousins mini 14??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
What's your favorite moose holder?
Eric! ...........
Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #12

Liked 3185 Times on 1900 Posts
Likes Given: 2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
My cousin said he would sell me his mini 14 for $700 its in great condition he has a couple awsome stocks for it and some good magazines with a descent scope. My question is because i dont know.much about them but have wanted one for a while is that a good price? My concern is when i shot it a round every know and then did not fire and by examining the round it appears to me that the firingpin did not strike the primer hard enough to ignite it. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is it fixable? Is it worth buying if he doesnt fix it before i buy it ?
with all that included, the price seems good BUT.......

i wouldn't buy a gun that does not function properly...would you buy a car that sputters or fails to start at a used car lot...

i say get a bit more ammo, get the mini good & clean...use good ammo & only factory mags....if it still has misfires....go buy a new one...they are around 700 anyway...minis should go BANG! mine only has one malfunction in about 1700 rounds, that is about what i expect form a firearm personally.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Eric! ...........
Do you have a picture of Eric holding a moose?
Does Eric like mini 14's?

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #14

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I think Ruger still does not sell new firing pins, but outside sources do, and it just might be a worn spring problem if the cleaning doesn't cure the problem.
I have been shooting Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles for 25+ years. (Not a newbie to the platform.)

There is no firing pin spring. The firing pin channel inside of the bolt may have a lot of crud built-up impeding it's movement. Very few owners bother to disassemble the bolt and clean the internals.

If a tiny bit of the tip has broken-off, it can cause light strikes on the primers. That would require a new firing pin. Ruger does not sell firing pins, but they have excellent customer service. If you send the rifle in to Ruger, they will replace the firing pin if that's the issue. Or they will discern the problem and repair as needed. Just be sure to tell them the type of ammo you are using and that the issue is intermittent. Do not buy an aftermarket firing pin. I have gone that route in the past, and the quality of aftermarket pins is terrible. I had an aftermarket pin break after 60 rounds. Plus, the pins need to be fitted to your bolt, which is a job best done by Ruger, or a gunsmith who is competent on the Mini-14 platform.

If you do send the rifle to Ruger, I recommend requesting a spare firing pin to be fitted to the rifle. This uses costs about $30, though the last time I sent a Mini-14 in for repair work and requested a spare pin, they didn't charge me anything.

Quote:
Are they US made ammo like Remington, Winchester, etc, that is giving you the problem, or are they something like Wolf or some other kind of eastern europe/ russian steel ammo. Some companies use harder primers.
Steel cased ammo is not a problem in a Mini-14. I have put 10's of thousands of rounds or Wolf downrange with several Mini-14's with no issues whatsoever.

As far as the value of the rifle, that will depend on where you are located. In my area, a pre-580 series would have a value of between $400 and $500. A 580 or higher with a tapered barrel would be worth $600 to $700. This would be for a rifle that is functioning properly.

Magazines (especially aftermarket) don't add much to the value of the rifle. Nor do additional stocks.

Gunbroker is a good site to monitor for values. Though the prices on Gunbroker tend to be a bit higher than the prices locally.

Last edited by bwraven; 07-18-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This