Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   thinking of buying my cousins mini 14?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/thinking-buying-my-cousins-mini-14-a-94045/)

shooter88 07-17-2013 11:21 PM

thinking of buying my cousins mini 14??

My cousin said he would sell me his mini 14 for $700 its in great condition he has a couple awsome stocks for it and some good magazines with a descent scope. My question is because i dont know.much about them but have wanted one for a while is that a good price? My concern is when i shot it a round every know and then did not fire and by examining the round it appears to me that the firingpin did not strike the primer hard enough to ignite it. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is it fixable? Is it worth buying if he doesnt fix it before i buy it ?

Anna_Purna 07-17-2013 11:47 PM

Are they US made ammo like Remington, Winchester, etc, that is giving you the problem, or are they something like Wolf or some other kind of eastern europe/ russian steel ammo. Some companies use harder primers.

shooter88 07-17-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1307200)
Are they US made ammo like Remington, Winchester, etc, that is giving you the problem, or are they something like Wolf or some other kind of eastern europe/ russian steel ammo. Some companies use harder primers.

It was american eagle

Anna_Purna 07-18-2013 12:04 AM

Does he keep it well cleaned, could be just a very dirty striker or the firing spring has lost its springyness. Are they boxer primered American Eagle? Or Berdan?

shooter88 07-18-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1307218)
Does he keep it well cleaned, could be just a very dirty striker or the firing spring has lost its springyness.

He said he hadnt cleaned it in a little while idk about the spring. Is it a good price

Anna_Purna 07-18-2013 12:11 AM

Can you ask him what year or model it is and what stocks? The stocks could be sold on Ebay at 30 to 50 dollars, or more if its like the original folding stock, etc, So 700 may be a good deal if we had more info about the stocks, and year it may have been produced, etc. The firing pin could, or could not have a problem, depending on the cleaning of it, and it still not firing, or if they are Berdan primered brass, etc. Sometimes the Berdans are set too far deep in the cup to get a good hit with the firing pin, etc.

But im not a mini expert. Ask me about mooses :D

tri70 07-18-2013 12:17 AM

That is a good price if all is included. Give it a good cleaning on the bolt the light strikes should go away. Is it a newer series, pre fix serial #581? The older models ran from 180-197.

tri70 07-18-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1307231)
Can you ask him what year or model it is and what stocks? The stocks could be sold on Ebay at 30 to 50 dollars, or more if its like the original folding stock, etc, So 700 may be a good deal if we had more info about the stocks, and year it may have been produced, etc. The firing pin could, or could not have a problem, depending on the cleaning of it, and it still not firing, or if they are Berdan primered brass, etc. Sometimes the Berdans are set too far deep in the cup to get a good hit with the firing pin, etc.

But im not a mini expert. Ask me about mooses :D

What's your favorite moose holder?

Anna_Purna 07-18-2013 12:23 AM

This is what a mini 14 ranch rifle was selling for 4 days ago. All the accessories that he is including would be a great deal, if it is great shape, and the firing pin problem is sorted out. Have him clean it or soak the firing pin and clean it up and then go to the range again. I think Ruger still does not sell new firing pins, but outside sources do, and it just might be a worn spring problem if the cleaning doesn't cure the problem.

tri70 07-18-2013 12:24 AM

A buddy of mine has a moose holder like this one. :D

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=151084319791