Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Thinking about a Mini (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/thinking-about-mini-37089/)

NGIB 01-19-2011 12:52 PM

Thinking about a Mini

1 Attachment(s)
A fella on a local forum has a Mini-14 for trade and I'm toying with making an offer on it. Here's part of the description:

Quote:

The mini-14 comes with 5 mags 2-30rd mags 1-40rd mag 1-20rd mag and 1-5rd mag. It has a pin on flash hider, folding stock and original wood stock.
I hate to ask this but I don't really have an idea of it's value - in terms of what I should offer in trade. I've dealt with the fella before and he's an OK guy. Here's a pic of the gun:

M14sRock 01-19-2011 01:21 PM

Value of a used Mini can vary greatly. This one should be broken down into component value,

The folding stock is one of the Butler Creek types. A few companies made them, but they are all about the same. It is worth about $100.

Mini 14 mags fall into two varieties. Those that work, and those that don't.

For steel mags, always try to get either Ruger made mags, or the Black Warrior mags because they are heat treated and work. Factory mags usually run about $35 (20 & 30rd) but Copes had them on sale for $20 recently. The Black Warrior mags are $12-$15 and you should plan on filing away the coating residue from the inside of the mags before they will run right.

Sherer mags were also very good, but a bit "thin". They felt flimsy, but worked great. They were about $10-$12, but that was 15 years ago.

A used 181 Series (or later) if in good shape would sell for about $500, give or take, depending on location. I recently sold one for $600 with no extra mags or stocks.

So, depending on what kind of shape it is in (check the bore closely), if the deal was good, I'd snap it up.

NGIB 01-19-2011 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm not a rifle guy at all and didn't have a clue on what to offer in trade. I do now - thanks...

CA357 01-19-2011 07:18 PM

Knowing the round count would be helpful as well. As Rock said, factory mags work best. The folding stock is neither a plus or minus in my thinking. Unless you really want it, let him keep it and save a few bucks. The flash hider is a $15. item and it's pinned on, so really no value there.

It's an older model, so take that into consideration.

I love Mini's, they're fast handling, quick shooting and accurate enough. If used as a "Ranch" rifle as they were originally intended, they are most excellent. It's when people try to make them something they are not that the complaints begin.

The only modification I would recommend is changing out the handguard for one made by Choate. It has more and larger holes to allow for better cooling of the barrel and they're dirt cheap.

BombDoc 01-19-2011 07:20 PM

Nice. I have that same 14 in stainless. Same stock even.

orangello 01-19-2011 08:04 PM

I think "mini" is a misleading name. ;)

Looks nice!

NGIB 01-20-2011 07:18 AM

With the advice of M14sRock & CA357, I asked all the important questions and got the answers I needed. Thanks fellas as I really know squat about rifles. Looks like I've made a good deal and I'll pick this one up tomorrow. Killed 2 birds with one stone on this deal - traded off the last handgun that was excess for me and added a rifle I can pass down to my son when the time is right...

masterPsmith 01-20-2011 12:28 PM

Welcome to the Mini crowd. Great little fun carbine, I think you will like it.

Jim.......

CA357 01-20-2011 06:51 PM

Congratulations they are great rifles.

PM me your address. I have an extra factory manual you can have.

oneshot 01-20-2011 07:04 PM

Welcome to the club when you get the time post some pictures on how it shoots. In fact I think we all should have to post pictures of how our mini's do when the weather gets better. Say at 100 and 200 yards?