Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Thermold is Back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thermold is Back

I'm a little hesitant to recommend another polymer magazine for the Mini-14, but it looks as though Thermold is finally producing again after a long drought. I will say this...I've tried them and they work very well. The lips are more substantial than those on the Tapco polymer mags, and the Thermolds I own have never let loose of a round, regardless of the weather conditions. Anyway, here is a link...can't beat the price...
Thermold High Capacity Magazine thermold rm1430 mag rug mini14 30r -thegunsource.com

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone buy any yet?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not purchased any of these new Thermold mags, but I own several that were made before they went out of production. If these new mags are the same, and I don't know why they would change, they are some of the best aftermarket mags available for the Mini-14.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

I picked up a bunch from cdnn for my ar , they had them for 4.99 each. everyone was saying how bad they were when the canadians switched plastic formulas but they arent making them anymore, i have had nothing but good luck with them so id say go ahead on the mini.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did they really switch formulas on the polymer (plastic)? How can we verify that?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #6

its on the net thats why they didnt as good the canadians called them '' therm melts.
-------
The Canadian military licensed the Thermold design, but did not use Zytel as the polymer, using a less expensive plastic as a substitute.
This was not a wise decision, and the Canadian military had problems as a result. The most famous problem was the feed lips melting when their ARs were fired for extended periods on full auto (especially with blanks), leading the Canadians to dub the magazines "Thermelts". The other common problem was the mags splitting or cracking in cold temperatures or when dropped. After Desert Storm, the Canadian military changed to USGI aluminum mags, which are now standard issue.

'' as they would melt during a high rate of fire.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Too my best knowledge, the only melting mags were those used in full-auto weapons, which reach temperatures that semi-autos don't. I would guess that any of the polymer mags would fail in a full-auto rifle. I wouldn't be hesitant to go with the Thermolds in a Mini-14, a legal one anyway...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com