Tapco Mini 14 Magazines Gen 2 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Tapco Mini 14 Magazines Gen 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2913 Times on 1734 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl View Post
This has bugged me since I first read it. Couldn't put my finger on it till now.

This community thrives on changing and adapting the Mini to their wants and needs. Lots of you guys don't let the lack of aftermarket parts deter you. Heck look at the tactical mag release, the improvised bolt release, the factory mag feed lip adjustments. I guess that is what bothers me about the disinterest in adapting aftermarket magazines.
well, if it bothers you....keep on keeping on.

like you said, i am amazed by all the people who love the mini & have worked hard to improve them on their own. look at the strut....just idea started by a mini fan, now they hang off 50% of the minis out there and 3-5 companies make them.

such a shame ruger does not love the mini anywhere near as much as the owners!

keep working on it & report back. one day everyone might be buying these mags and using your technique to adapt them. for me, i don't mind buying factory mags cause i don't stockpile a lot of mags. but for many gunowners who like to keep 10+ mags for each gun, a breakthrough on cheap mags could save them serious money!

good luck!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to agree, how hard is it to make a good consistant magazine? Buy a Ruger magazine and rifle, make measurements, design magazine, test, make money.

I have stayed away from all aftermarket magazines because of the problems posted here.

Anyway, this time I decided, what the heck, I'll walk out on that limb.

It was only $15, so if it fails I'm not out much.

It is constantly 100 degrees every day now, I am going to load that thing up and leave it outside on saturday.

Keep you guys posted.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #13

I sent an e-mail to tapco to ask about the tight magazines. They allow that the magazines were manufactured for the older, pencil barrel minis. When ruger retooled they tightened up the mag well. So the tapco mags are too tight in the tapered barrel minis. They are in the process of getting a newer mini 14 and are going to refine the magazine again.

Anyway, saturday is almost here!

as always, I'll keep you posted

Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #14

10:15am 81 degrees
I loaded the magazine with 30 rounds, placed in in a metal ammo can, placed that on the tin roof of my shed.
only forcasted to get to 96 degrees today, I think all the metal will make up for that.
I'll check it at 5pm, I almost expect a pile of rounds in a puddle of goo. LOL

2pm 90 degrees
Clouded over and started to rain, pulled the box in, all 30 rounds still in magazine.

I will have to try again another day.

Last edited by Commocarl; 06-30-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #15

My kids got me 4 of the Gen. 2 mags for fathers day.

It took me a while to get out but I loaded them up last weekend and tried them out.

Each one worked great, fed well and only one failed to lock the bolt back after the last shot.

Woule I buy them again? You bet I would.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #16

It has been too cool here to retry the ammocan in the heat thing.

I have left the magazine fully loaded for about 3 weeks now and have had no lip spreading.

I do have a question for someone with a factory 30 rounder.

I was playing around with the magazine today and noticed that it put a dent in the cartridge when I reinserted it several times with the bolt closed. With 29 rounds in the magazine it would not insert all the way. I tried this again with a metal P-Mag 20 round magazine and found the same to be true, I could not insert the magazine all the way with the bolt closed. I would assume that the odd round side presents the cartridge higher than the even round side.

If someone has a Ruger 30 round magazine I would be interested in their results. One, inserting a fully loaded magazine on a closed bolt several times to see if it dents the cartridge. Two, inserting the magazine with 29 rounds on a closed bolt to see if it presents lots of resistance.

Just a guess at this point, but I think the spring pressure on a fully loaded magazine is stiff enough to not allow the round to recess into the magazine when pressed against the bolt.

I also think this is what is influencing Tri70s success at tweeking the mag lips in the "Tweaking the mag for better accuracy" thread. He is allowing the magazine spring to put more pressure on his bolt.

Last edited by Commocarl; 07-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.