Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Tapco Mini 14 Magazines Gen 2 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/tapco-mini-14-magazines-gen-2-a-66323/)

Commocarl 06-12-2012 11:14 PM

Tapco Mini 14 Magazines Gen 2

I did a search and didnt find any posts about them, so I thought I would start one.

The Gen 1 Discussion.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/tapco-mags-mini-14-a-26625/

After seeing the Nutnfancy review I picked up one.

I have a newer tapered barrel Mini, and boy is that thing tight. I Inserted it about 10 times, nothing like steel on polymer to straighten things out. It is still tight but not as bad. I will take it to the range and give her a shot saturday and post my full opinion.

I noticed in the Gen 1 discussion the magazines had a problem with the heat.

I just wanted to see if any one is using the Tapco magazines and what they thought about them.

Commocarl 06-17-2012 06:04 AM

Wow, this went nowhere.

I haven't taken a sanding block to the magazine yet, to give it an "as is" look.

It doesn't seat very easily, but I ran over 200 rounds through it today, no failures.

I plan to sand it a bit so it will insert easier. I will update if anyone is interested.

Neurotic_Hapi_Snak 06-17-2012 07:27 AM

I have both Tapco gen2s and Thermold mags. Both feed fine, the Thermolds don't latch easily on a closed bolt, this is because of the stupid angled catch on the magazine. I'm thinking about gluing on a L shaped piece of sheet metal to fix it and make the mags last longer. Otherwise they're great, especially the $8 price :).

tri70 06-17-2012 04:03 PM

What kind of accuracy does the Tapco mags give? I like metal mags to tweak the lips on.

Commocarl 06-18-2012 11:01 PM

I can't comment on an accuracy change. The range I go to (private) is revamping the berm and backstop so I used an active target (little orange tophat thing) for a target this weekend. Took my daughter out with me so we stayed within 20 yards of it. It took lots of hits from offhand shooting.

Commocarl 06-23-2012 03:44 PM

Just an update

I took 400 grit sandpaper on a sanding block to the magazine.

I had two issues, first it was hard to line the pin in the rifle and the hole on the magazine, the magazine wouldn't seat first time everytime on a closed bolt. I very lightly sanded the top of the feed lips (15 or so light strokes). I did not significantly change the thickness of the feed lips.

Second issue, once the front of the magazine was seated it was tough to pull it back to lock. This was very easy to figure out as the magazine was well marked on the rear showing where it was rubbing. On the rear of the magazine there is a noticable angle change at the top. I lightly sanded the angled area smooth using the rub marks as a guide.

The magazine inserts and locks first time everytime. It takes about as much pressure to insert as my steel mags. Locked in it has no play or wiggle, it locks in and becomes part of the rifle.

It is starting to heat up here in Texas so I should be able to test the spreading issue that people experienced in the gen 1. I have to say I really like the magazine so far. If 5 minutes with sandpaper is the only difference between it and a $40 ruger magazine, I'll take the $15 dollar magazine any day.

hawkguy 06-23-2012 04:07 PM

generally, aftermarket mags have been heavily frowned upon by most mini users, and normally get mixed reviews.

a few months back, hoffmans had ruger factory 20 rounders for $20 (once word spread, they were wiped out), and they still have 30 rounders for $30. deals can be had, but you have to be patient.

thanks for taking the time to test these mags. it would be nice to find a cheap, reliable mag for the mini.

tri70 06-23-2012 04:19 PM

I may have to get some to try and see what the buzz is about, weight is not that big of an issue for me I hardly fill my mags full.

Commocarl 06-26-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 846452)
generally, aftermarket mags have been heavily frowned upon by most mini users, and normally get mixed reviews.

a few months back, hoffmans had ruger factory 20 rounders for $20 (once word spread, they were wiped out), and they still have 30 rounders for $30. deals can be had, but you have to be patient.

thanks for taking the time to test these mags. it would be nice to find a cheap, reliable mag for the mini.

This has bugged me since I first read it. Couldn't put my finger on it till now.

This community thrives on changing and adapting the Mini to their wants and needs. Lots of you guys don't let the lack of aftermarket parts deter you. Heck look at the tactical mag release, the improvised bolt release, the factory mag feed lip adjustments. I guess that is what bothers me about the disinterest in adapting aftermarket magazines.

JTJ 06-27-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commocarl (Post 850497)
This has bugged me since I first read it. Couldn't put my finger on it till now.

This community thrives on changing and adapting the Mini to their wants and needs. Lots of you guys don't let the lack of aftermarket parts deter you. Heck look at the tactical mag release, the improvised bolt release, the factory mag feed lip adjustments. I guess that is what bothers me about the disinterest in adapting aftermarket magazines.

I have seen some real crap out there but I have also seen some that are well made but just dont seem to function. How hard is it to copy a mag? It would not be too bad is all it took was a little tweaking. I ran into some after market mags that really look good but for the difference in price, you might as well buy Ruger.