Tapco Mags for the Mini-14? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Tapco Mags for the Mini-14?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How about in the heat?

Just asking,

Have you ever had any problems in the heat?

I like Tapco products a lot but in the SKS my Tapco mags have popped out some rounds all by themselves when loaded full laying in the heat on the shooting table here in NM. In normal temperatures they have been flawless. Other than that I think polymer mags are a good idea.

I am just one of those weirdos who test and shoot my arms in some adverse conditions. Mostly because sometimes I have to carry and use them in the same and I don't like equipment surprises there.

I use Lancer polymer mags in my AR and they seem to take the heat well and are fantastic in durability and drop free every time.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't had rounds popping out of either of the two Tapco mags I purchased previously, but I can also say that they really haven't been exposed to much direct sun or outdoor temperatures. I did have a ProMag polymer magazine that lost rounds when loaded to capacity, but I have not had it occur with Tapco mags. I'm in Arizona, but I'm not typically out shooting in the heat of the day...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #13

I have had the same problem with mine in the head, the hotter it is the more they tend to warp under the pressure of a full load. I can physically see them bow out when it hits 20+ in a 30 round mag. I must say I really wanted these to work b/c of the price and the fact that they have many possible +'s. I find that even when they have been kept inside in the AC they still bow out, just not as bad. I have had many rounds pop out for no reason, as well as it failing to lock into place in the Mini b/c of rounds popping out.
Also this seems to be getting worse as time goes on, it seems the plastic is getting weaker as it gets stressed.

I think these can be good mags but honestly, I have a national brand steel mag that works just find in my mini and I have found them online for as little as $9.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
I haven't had rounds popping out of either of the two Tapco mags I purchased previously, but I can also say that they really haven't been exposed to much direct sun or outdoor temperatures. I did have a ProMag polymer magazine that lost rounds when loaded to capacity, but I have not had it occur with Tapco mags. I'm in Arizona, but I'm not typically out shooting in the heat of the day...
I have mine fully loaded in the ammo can, will keep you updated as too whether or not it starts popping out rounds while stored.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, the summer temps are 100+ here each day now, and even though my mags are stored indoors, each one of them has let go of the top round in the warmer weather. This is disappointing, but not the end of the world. I found that Tapco offers magazine dust covers for their .223 mags...found a new 10-pack of these on ebay for $11. These should hold the top round in, even in the warmer weather.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #16

I had a huge problem with my Tapco 30 round mag at the range yesterday. Piece of Sh!t. first it let go of rounds in the range bag. Reloaded the 4 rounds into the mag, top one popped right back out. Went to load said crap magazine in the mini and 3 rounds popped out the receiver. Re-loaded mag, closed receiver, installed mag. Couldn't get mag locked in because survey says......friggin rounds un-assed themselves. Glad I didn't pay big bucks for it and I highly recommend if you have stress issues that you don't use Tapco mags.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #17

Just bought 2 more Tapco Mags and they work just fine. No problem with rounds popping out but also am not loading them up to 30 rounds either........will check that out later at the range....

NRA Life Member

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem375 View Post
Just bought 2 more Tapco Mags and they work just fine. No problem with rounds popping out but also am not loading them up to 30 rounds either........will check that out later at the range....
A 30 round mag aint woth a rat piss if you cant load it to capacity. hell if tapco knows it wont hold 30 they should be selling it as a supersized 20. Think I will stick to the facory mags from now on, or at least steel mags.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #19

Default If you handload...

Just got my Mini as well as the Tapco mags. One thing I did observe is that if you handload the .223 to the max O.A. length (2.26") it will not fit into the Tapco, but will fit the Ruger mags. Factory loads are not max length so they are no problem. I set the bullet seating to a O.A. length of 2.24 (which was about the length of the factory loads I had)--they load and feed just fine.

For the savings, not much of a compromise!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason