Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Tapco Mags for the Mini-14? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/tapco-mags-mini-14-a-26625/)

KMO 04-29-2010 10:29 PM

Tapco Mags for the Mini-14?

OK, so who's going to try these first? Tapco has come out with 30-round polymer magazines for the Mini-14...$16 each. This is the first I have heard of them. I've been burned by aftermarket mags for the Mini before, so I'm not likely to jump right on these until I hear about someone else's experience. Anyone tried them yet?
Mini-14/M14 Accessories

KMO 05-04-2010 01:27 PM

Well, obviously I didn't lure anyone in on this as the first guinea pig. I ordered two...will let y'all know how they perform...;)

2hot2handle 05-04-2010 02:07 PM

let us know how they work out for ya mo:D

sjh1022 05-04-2010 11:49 PM

I just purchased one at a local gun show this weekend. I find it fits nice and tight, however i have not had a chance to try it at the range. I will keep yall posted.

KMO 05-15-2010 06:52 PM

I finally got out to try these two Tapco 30-round polymer magazines. We had 4 different Mini-14's out at the range, and tried the two mags in all of them. Each mag was loaded to capacity for nearly two weeks to see if the lips would let loose of any rounds. All 60 rounds stayed in place. Both mags locked snugly and easily into each of the rifles. There were no failures to feed, and the bolt locked back every time after the final round was fired. With nothing left to test, these Tapco magazines passed the test. For $16 (or less), I would say they are a great value. With Thermold still out of the Mini-14 mag business, I would guess Tapco has a great chance to grab some market share. I say, go & get some if you can...;)

doctherock 05-15-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 280295)
Well, obviously I didn't lure anyone in on this as the first guinea pig. I ordered two...will let y'all know how they perform...;)

well if you dont like them feel free to dispose of them in my direction.

M14sRock 05-15-2010 08:42 PM

Glad to hear they worked KMO.

I have not tried the Tapco mags, but the guys at the Tapco booth at SHOT are great. Very helpful and easy to deal with. Lots of people bag on their stuff but everything I've tried has worked fine.

Another good aftermarket 30rd poly mag is the ProMag. I have a bunch. Needed to trim about a 16th of an inch off the back of the feed lips, but after that they run 100% in all of my Minis. Even after being fully loaded for 5 or 6 years they work fine.

sjh1022 05-16-2010 01:55 AM

I just took mine out for the first time and it performed better than the old 30 round steel mag i got at a local gun shop. I will go pickup a few more as soon as a i can. Its snug, feeds well, locks the bolt back, and i like the fact that they are harder to damage than a steel mag.

sjh1022 06-08-2010 03:45 PM

I have now taken my mag out for several trips to the range and have found one issue with them...as they reach capacity they tend to bow out at the top. This allows for the rounds to pop out easily. The easy fix is to just load 28 or 29 and not a full 30. I like the idea of a polimer mag but if they cant hold the rounds i may just go with the simple 10 national brand steel mags. I have one of those as well and it works fine, not fancy or anything but it does the job.

KMO 06-26-2010 03:06 PM

Cheaper than Dirt

Cheaper than Dirt is selling these Mini-14 Tapco 30-Round Mags for just $12.97 each. That is a fantastic buy... MAG-340 - Mag Tapco, Ruger Mini 14, 30 Round Black Lifetime Warranty

(I know that an online reviewer that goes by nutnfancy gave these Tapco mags a poor review. He is the ONLY guy I know of that holds that opinion, and I communicate with a good number of Mini-14 owners. I've tried the Tapcos & found them flawless...get'n some more...;))