Shooting practice and good form...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Shooting practice and good form...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Default Shooting practice and good form...

I read and article in Outdoor Life this month about wing shooting and getting your mind to subconsciously use a correct form and follow thru. It would take a lot of shooting to get to that point and keep up good habbits.
I like to every weekend if I get a chance with my mini's and a pistol or two and I am able to shoot pretty well off hand or from the bench. As hunting season approaches I try to make sure I get and practice with whatever will be in my hands that season. I realized I need more bolt gun practice with my 22lr. I once shot at a coyote that started off at 50-60 yds and then 6 more shots on the run. The rifle was sited in but it must have deflected off a weed or 2 to miss the 1st shot. Every year when we used to quail hunt or pheasant hunt, usually takes a few shots to get into form. On our pheasant hunts, one shoots good the 1st day but will do great the 2nd day.
This weekend I hope to get out and shoot with my son, he has been saving some water bottles, we have a few tannerite shots too. I may even get up early to see if Wile E Coyote is stirring in the fields. Good luck to everyone this season! Be prepared for the good shot when presented!

-tri

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1408 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 3021

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
I read and article in Outdoor Life this month about wing shooting and getting your mind to subconsciously use a correct form and follow thru. It would take a lot of shooting to get to that point and keep up good habbits.
I like to every weekend if I get a chance with my mini's and a pistol or two and I am able to shoot pretty well off hand or from the bench. As hunting season approaches I try to make sure I get and practice with whatever will be in my hands that season. I realized I need more bolt gun practice with my 22lr. I once shot at a coyote that started off at 50-60 yds and then 6 more shots on the run. The rifle was sited in but it must have deflected off a weed or 2 to miss the 1st shot. Every year when we used to quail hunt or pheasant hunt, usually takes a few shots to get into form. On our pheasant hunts, one shoots good the 1st day but will do great the 2nd day.
This weekend I hope to get out and shoot with my son, he has been saving some water bottles, we have a few tannerite shots too. I may even get up early to see if Wile E Coyote is stirring in the fields. Good luck to everyone this season! Be prepared for the good shot when presented!

-tri
I've always thought about a good shot as more a feeling than mechanics. There is just something about a good shot that just has a unique feel? I always concentrate on that feeling. Of course the only way to get that feeling is to do what you're doing and that's shoot some rounds.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

When I read the article in OL, the author said the shots become automatic and it would be like a feel for the shot.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
When I read the article in OL, the author said the shots become automatic and it would be like a feel for the shot.
"A feel for the shot", that's a good way to describe it. Everything else you described also sounds about right to me also. I was on the rifle team in high school many many years ago. We concentrated on mechanics and after that became ingrained is when I really started concentrating on the feel.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Wink Trying to get ready!!

It all started on the 3rd. of Aug. Well, it really started much earlier. But, getting back to the 3rd. of Aug., when I got to work I hardly had enough energy to get out of my van. Immediately after work, I went to the VA Clinic and they insisted that I be admitted to the Mike O'Callahan Federal Hospital, across from Nellis Air Force Base. After putting my dog in a boarding kennel, a friend drove me to the hospital, at first I was diagnosed with double pneumonia then it was changed to acute bronchitis. After 5 days, I was discharged. I'm now on Oxygen but am gaining strength, went back to work on the 20th and went to the range yesterday. Believe me, brothers and sisters, smoking is not worth the damage it does. I have about 60% of my lungs functioning, but should recover to about 70% to 80% in 4 or 5 months.
Sure was a "down" day at the range for me, I couldn't time my trigger release with my breathing. My shooting was at abut 50% of normal. Just going to take some serious concentration and practice to recover to my former state, if I want to fill that Mule Deer doe tag this year. To treat the acute bronchitis, I was given a steroid called Prednisone, and one of the major side effects is that it triggers Diabetes, which is supposed to be short termed. Just have to wait and see. Sure glad to be active again!! (although much slower).

Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68 View Post
It all started on the 3rd. of Aug. Well, it really started much earlier. But, getting back to the 3rd. of Aug., when I got to work I hardly had enough energy to get out of my van. Immediately after work, I went to the VA Clinic and they insisted that I be admitted to the Mike O'Callahan Federal Hospital, across from Nellis Air Force Base. After putting my dog in a boarding kennel, a friend drove me to the hospital, at first I was diagnosed with double pneumonia then it was changed to acute bronchitis. After 5 days, I was discharged. I'm now on Oxygen but am gaining strength, went back to work on the 20th and went to the range yesterday. Believe me, brothers and sisters, smoking is not worth the damage it does. I have about 60% of my lungs functioning, but should recover to about 70% to 80% in 4 or 5 months.
Sure was a "down" day at the range for me, I couldn't time my trigger release with my breathing. My shooting was at abut 50% of normal. Just going to take some serious concentration and practice to recover to my former state, if I want to fill that Mule Deer doe tag this year. To treat the acute bronchitis, I was given a steroid called Prednisone, and one of the major side effects is that it triggers Diabetes, which is supposed to be short termed. Just have to wait and see. Sure glad to be active again!! (although much slower).
Yep, that would seriously impair anyone's shooting ability. As a smoker, I also agree that it isn't worth it. I've cut way back but I'm still not where I need to be, which is not smoking at all. Glad you're doing better.

When I shot competitively in high school I didn't smoke, drink any caffeine or eat any chocolate three days before a match, and was in much better shape. It's amazing the difference all that made in shooting ability.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thumbs down Better now than never!!

I started smoking when I was 13, and I'm 74 now. I guess it never too late to quit, doctors say a substantial amount of recovery is possible. Although I really miss them, a absolutely cherished a cup of black coffee and a cigarette. Lucky I had an understanding boss, and lets me work even though I drag an Oxygen bottle around with me.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68 View Post
I started smoking when I was 13, and I'm 74 now. I guess it never too late to quit, doctors say a substantial amount of recovery is possible. Although I really miss them, a absolutely cherished a cup of black coffee and a cigarette. Lucky I had an understanding boss, and lets me work even though I drag an Oxygen bottle around with me.
Hopefully the oxygen bottle is just temporary!

And it's surprising that you're still working at 74. You're definitely ahead of most in that department. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

Liked 242 Times on 179 Posts

Sounds similar to my story. About 2 1/2 years ago I started losing weight, I had started working out at the YMCA with my son. I was drinking water like there was no tomorrow. So I tried to lie to myself and attribute the weight loss to that even though I was eating like a pig and even a couple candy bars before bed. After about 6 months of the losing weight, I got real sick, thought I had the flu. Slept the whole weekend. When Monday rolled around I felt so bad and could not stay awake to even drink a cup of coffee. When my wife woke up and asked why I hadn't left for work I told her I called in I was too sick. Well since that was the first time that had happened in 30 years of our marriage she took me to the doctor. I was rushed to the hospital asked if I wanted to be put on life support. My blood sugar was 600 and my oxygen level almost non existent. After a week in the hospital I was sent home with an oxygen machine and 3 tanks, 3 different brands of inhalers, insulin and 3 kinds of pills. I used the oxygen for a couple days and the inhalers for a couple weeks. My wife fussed at me for not using them but I told her I am not going to become dependent on then. I did get dizzy at first anytime I bent over. I took my pills and gave myself the insulin shots like I was supposed to for about six months until they would no longer fill my prescription without going back to the doctor I kept checking my blood sugar and it was running good. The my boss found out I had not been back to doctor and made my go home untill I had. My doctor check my glucose meter and saw where it had been running he told I could stop the insulin shots be still wanted me to take the metformin pills. So I did until that prescription ran out. Still making checks it is still running at exemptible levels.i know this is probably not the wisest thing to do, but it's just the way I am.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Having The Rug Pulled Out !!

kycol, It sure is a big let down when you get the rug pulled out from under you. I admit, I'm 74 but I was really very active, still working 4 days a week, and driving to Northern Nevada to hunt Mulies by my self. Now every time I want a smoke, I have to ask myself if I want to smoke or try to hunt one more deer season. Deer season is my choice. I realize I'm going to have to extremely modify my way of hunting, but I'm going for it.