Shooting Accuracy

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Shooting Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Shooting Accuracy

You would think you could just pick up a rifle get on target pull the trigger and shoot well. I have only been shooting for 12 years and i find the more i learn the more i don't know. I do the natural point of aim thing and follow threw. Keep in mind i am self taught (i know not a good thing). Last week i was watching a shooting training video and i noticed they were using the joint of their trigger finger instead of the pad. What a difference shooting using the joint. I had a lot more control strength using the joint. Now if your rifle has a 4lb or better trigger with a clean break shooting with the pad of your trigger finger might not be better my rifles don't. I softened the trigger spring on my Mini to get a 4lb trigger but it does not break clean. When i griped the wrist of my mini i found it to be a little bit of a reach to get the joint of my trigger finger on the trigger. So i did some research and found you can modify your grip to make using the finger joint more comfortable. By sliding you trigger hand to the right you can comfortably put your trigger finger any were you want on the trigger. Any how my trigger control this week was better than it has ever been as i got tired i was able to still shoot pretty well and i found i and i was able not think about trigger control at all and was able to only think about staying on target. I am going to order a new trigger spring from Midway and try it. If i can shoot well with it the faster lock time might help me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have not really noticed while I hunt and shoot were my finger placement is. When punching paper I use my pad more, it may depend on the trigger pull weight to the placement.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1181 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 2289

I tend to focus on the mechanics of the gun rather than my technique or form. I think the majority of the variation in shooting comes from the gun itself, when shooting from a bench? We all occasionally pull one or fire a shot and just know we weren't on. Practicing mechanics can help to reduce those, but practice can never help improve the variation from the gun.

I've been lucky enough to have a few really accurate rifles. I can just put those guns on target, squeeze the trigger, and have bullets touching if not in the same hole (except for the occasional screw up on my part). Those guns gave me confidence in my shooting. As a result of that confidence when I get large groups I can automatically discount myself as part of the problem and start chasing down the mechanical reason(s). Now if I only knew more about dialing in a gun and the mechanics!

I think most people with experience shooting are better shots than their groups show (unless their bullets are touching). The variation in their groups come from their guns and not their technique, but that is just my opinion.

Shooting without a bench or support is an entirely different story. That just takes a lot of practice. Oh, and a retired drill Sargent as a coach that makes you do 20 push ups for every miss helps.