Shimming the gas block....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Shimming the gas block....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Default Shimming the gas block....

Similar to bedding the gas block, I have not modded any of my minis in a while and got to thinking about a way to mess with the gas block and try making a piece of lead into a gasket to work like a shim for bedding. I found some fishing bullet shape slip sinkers and smashed with a hammer to desired shape. I knew I needed it to be thin enough to get the stock on but thick enough to make a difference. I got it smashed and set into place then put together, I could feel the stock was tighter and tapped the gas block lightly to seat the lead.
I got out for a little bit yesterday and fired a few shots. My poi had changed, the gun was shooting high about 6 inches, I was shooting from a clean bore. I was using a stock 5 rd mag and will try 20 rd mag this weekend. I shot 4 groups and could see right away the lead and stock were still settling in to get mated together. No pictures at this time, will get some this weekend.

Group 1 was high 6" and 1 shot flier low and left 4" away from rest (bedded action) and the other 4 shots 3" group.

Group 2 was done after scope adjust, 1 shot was low and left again but only 2" away from the other 4 shots the were centering left about 2".

Group 3 was better with 1 shot only 1" low and slightly left of the other shots, I did notice 3 shot group almost touching and 1 and 5 shots were about 1" away from the 3 shots. The group is about 3" with all 5 shots, getting tighter with each group.

Group 4 was a pleasant surprise, all 5 shots grouped 1" high like I wanted and a nice 1 1/2" pattern. I will have to try some more to make sure it was not a fluke and everything is settled in.

One of the reasons for choosing lead, it's easy to work with and will dampen unwanted harmonics.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What does shimming the gas block do?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

It acts like bedding, add material to the stock and gas block mating area to give a solid lock up but no binding. I didn't shoot enough this weekend to tell if it's what I want. I was sick last weekend and didn't shoot at all. My first shots were 6" high, the next group looked pretty good around 2" at 100 yds. Need more testing, the reason for shimming was to see if the gun will shoot better.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin