Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   This Section Is A Little Slow (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/section-little-slow-37508/)

rifleman55 01-27-2011 07:31 PM

This Section Is A Little Slow

There is not a lot of activity in the mini section.
Many of us who have Mini's really like them, they are a fast handling Carbine and reliable as the day is long.

There are now 3 Gunsmiths on this section and I'm sure many more who have experience with the Mini.

Lets get this section going, I'm sure a lot of you would love to improve your Mini's, so lets ask some questions and get some work done on them for the summer shooting season.

If any of you have read any of my posts on other sites, you know I do't much care for Ruger and it's policys, but really like the Mini 14's.

John K

CA357 01-27-2011 07:43 PM

MasterPsmith did a trigger job and machined & installed a new gas bushing in mine. He does very nice work (fast too) and it's made it much more fun and accurate for me to shoot. It also no longer throws brass into the next county.

rifleman55 01-27-2011 08:26 PM

I had a good exchange with him on PM.
He seems like a great guy. We both have had very similar life paths.
The Mini's respond well to some modifications, especially when done by a good gunsmith.

My Best, John K

DocWard 01-31-2011 02:12 AM

I'm planning on some things for my Mini, posted a thread not terribly long ago. Right now, I am scratching together the equipment for CAS, so it has taken a bit of a backseat. I don't plan on that being the case for long, though.

DocWard 02-02-2011 02:51 PM

Well, I did decide to take a bit of money and order a Hogue stock and am M-14 style flash suppresor. I will report back when they arrive, and try to get out for a range report shortly thereafter.

And now we wait.....

rifleman55 02-02-2011 04:16 PM

Sounds good, I hope you get some really great results.

John K

DocWard 02-02-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman55 (Post 435394)
Sounds good, I hope you get some really great results.

John K

Thanks. I'm hoping the stock will make it more comfortable to shoot. I have never felt I have gotten a good solid mount with the short stock and the curved metal butt plate. Funny that I don't have the same problem with my lever action, but it has a longer length of pull.

CA357 02-02-2011 07:42 PM

Take a look at a Choate handguard as well. It has more and larger vents than the standard guard. However, it doesn't cover the op rod, but that's no big deal. I kind of prefer the look and they're dirt cheap.

DocWard 02-03-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 435564)
Take a look at a Choate handguard as well. It has more and larger vents than the standard guard. However, it doesn't cover the op rod, but that's no big deal. I kind of prefer the look and they're dirt cheap.

Thanks, I will look into it.

oneshot 02-03-2011 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman55 (Post 431045)
There is not a lot of activity in the mini section.
Many of us who have Mini's really like them, they are a fast handling Carbine and reliable as the day is long.

There are now 3 Gunsmiths on this section and I'm sure many more who have experience with the Mini.

Lets get this section going, I'm sure a lot of you would love to improve your Mini's, so lets ask some questions and get some work done on them for the summer shooting season.

If any of you have read any of my posts on other sites, you know I do't much care for Ruger and it's policys, but really like the Mini 14's.

John K

I think the reason the mini 14 site seems slow might be from everybody trapped in their homes for the winter. When the temp. warms up I can not wait to get back out there shooting. When this happens we can start posting pics. again and talk trash on how much better we can out shoot each other. Or at the very least get out and bust some coyotes with them. I mention it before some 200 yard tick tac toe would be fun.