scope/optic for mini 14??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > scope/optic for mini 14??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scope/optic for mini 14??

Hey guys.. new member here. I just received the new mini 14 ranch tactical .223... I will be taking it out to the range tomorrow so i'll post my opinion of the gun after that. My question is what kind of optics/scope would be good for this gun? I would like to have it pretty accurate to 200 yrds so lookin for the best option. Note: i'm on a limited budget and know theres no reason to buy a really nice scope or optic for this gun as it would outperform the range of the gun...

Also guys i was also wondering if anyone knows if i can change out the pistol grip for a rubber hogue grip? Ive done a lil research in this and havent found any info... again, i have the 581 series mini 14 ranch tactical .223...

Last edited by wiley_32; 09-02-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #2

Default redfield revolution 2-7 is my fave

i don't have a lot of experience with scopes, but i just put a redfield revolution 2-7 on my mini (another poster suggested it) & it is a perfect fit. i had a millet dms, but imo, it was too big/heavy for the mini & i wanted more than 4X.

its commonly known by now that refield is owned and made by leuopold. you can buy the exact same scope with the leuopold name and pay at least $50 more. the refield's are made in USA and have a lifetime warranty. pretty damn hard to beat for $150.

and again, i think the size/weight of the 2-7 is a perfect fit for the mini.

mini-14-redfield-revolution.jpg  

Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #3

Thanx for the response... that scope looks good and for the price I may just pick one up. After doin some research and since my mini is a 581 tactical series i think i'm gonna go a lil more tactical with an optic site... I found a vortex optic that seems to meet my needs.. any advice on this would be appreciated!!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley_32 View Post
Thanx for the response... that scope looks good and for the price I may just pick one up. After doin some research and since my mini is a 581 tactical series i think i'm gonna go a lil more tactical with an optic site... I found a vortex optic that seems to meet my needs.. any advice on this would be appreciated!!
no problem. if you like to shoot with irons, you might also get warne QD rings. they are pricey, but if you want to swap out from scope, to irons, to other optics, back to scope........ all without a re-zero.....the warne QD rings rock!

i like the ability to to irons & back to scope quickly without hassle, so i think they are worth the $ myself.

as far as scopes go, it was hard for me to find a good fit for the mini on the factory scope set up. many optics just don't fit quite right (too big or small. or interfere with irons). a rail will give you more options i would think. i think i've heard of quite a few who have used a vortex on their mini & are very happy with them, sounds like a good option.

Last edited by hawkguy2; 09-03-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have pretty good results with this Ncstar 3-9x42E scope. I like it because it is a compact design, seems well made, and is illuminated for low light.

I currently have it mounted on a picanny rail that is Ruger reciever slot mounted and I use a off set ring assembley to bring the eye relief a bit further back to a more comfortable shooting position.

Here it is pictured with the side mount scope adapter - but I would recommend the Ruger compatible rail like I use it now. It is a rock solid setup.