Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Ruger's New Stainless Finish...Different (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/rugers-new-stainless-finish-different-39852/)

KMO 03-16-2011 03:07 AM

Ruger's New Stainless Finish...Different

I was a bit surprised when my stainless steel 581-series arrived this week. I knew it would be a matte finish, but I would call this pretty dark for stainless steel. Anyone else seen this finish and found it darker than typical stainless?

CA357 03-16-2011 03:17 AM

I've always found their stainless to be considerably darker than other stainless finishes. This one must be really dark.

KMO 03-16-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

This one must be really dark.
When I opened the box, I had to do a double take...thought they sent me a blue rifle. If I put a stainless steel Mo-Rod on it, it might even clash. I'm going to have to get creative with a new blend of KG Gun Kote to make a rod look even remotely close to this rifle's finish.

doctherock 03-16-2011 05:19 AM

It is surprising how dark it is. Thought about what mo-rod to use myself due to the difference in color. Now that I'm trying to sell it I'm not to concerned.

winds-of-change 03-16-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 465714)
I was a bit surprised when my stainless steel 581-series arrived this week. I knew it would be a matte finish, but I would call this pretty dark for stainless steel. Anyone else seen this finish and found it darker than typical stainless?

Can you post a pic?

KMO 03-16-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Can you post a pic?
Yea...Next week after I accessorize it a bit...;)

CA357 03-16-2011 04:13 PM

Don't forget a genuine leather dangly thing to make it perfect.

spittinfire 03-16-2011 05:11 PM

It could have something to do with how they treated the metal. Heat treating can change the color of metals slightly.

You also have to keep in mind that stainless steel used in guns isn't the highest quality. Good stainless is hard to machine so manufacturers use a lower grade to ease machining while still maintaining some of the corrosion resistance. The lower grade of stainless typically has a darker color to it then higher grades. The stainless used in guns is slightly magnetic and it will rust if not cared for.

mag318 08-27-2011 04:36 PM

Ruger is not finishing the Mini 14s as well as they use to. The last several stainless examples I looked at all had a visible casting line down the middle of the receiver. At least the early ones had this line polished out. The new ones really look cheap which is a shame since they are much improved guns.

KMO 08-29-2011 12:28 AM

I agree. I do like the old "natural" stainless steel finish they used. The only way I can duplicate this new ss finish is with a spray-on/baked-on gun finish, and it requires mixing two colors to get it just right. I really don't know why they've gone down this road...:confused: