Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger Mini-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Just what I asked not to happen on the Mini forum." MINI BASHERS "

And from a mod no less..................

Jim......
Also, Robo's post was from January of '08, long before there was a Mini Forum.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #12

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sorry about that robo. I did not mean it the way it sounded. Also did not notice the date of the post, if I had , I would have not even responded. True, Ruger has had problems through the years with the Mini and most of the issues with the Mini have been addressed with the newer models. I have been a gunsmith for over 43 years now and have been accurizing Mini's from way back in the 70s. I just finished a 183 series stainless this week for a customer. I took it out yesterday for testing and will post photos later in another post. I have also worked extensively with the AR platform through the years. There are a lot of negatives I could say about them, but I don't. I try to think of the positive aspects of all firearms and try to help people with problems they are having without being negative on the forum. My idea for the Mini forum was to help those with issues they are having, repair how too's, accurizing and any other info that may be needed. Have some competition from time to time and so on. I just want to keep it positive and not negative like I see it on many other forums.

Sorry if I offended anyone.....................

Jim.........

Old 12-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2606 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 202

We're OK. I try to be honest in my observations on life and firearms. There is no such thing as a "perfect" anything. You balance the good, the bad and the price. XYZ gun has almost zero faults, shoots one hole groups at 300+ yards but costs $27,000. If you have that kind of money and want to shoot one hole groups at 300 yards, more power to you. If you need a serious fighting rifle to make good hits out to 2-300 yards but only have $1000 to spend, I would prescribe an AR platform rifle. If you need to make decent hits out to 1-200 yardsbut have a more limited budget a Mini may be your best option.

Some folks are itinerate tinkerers. They want to make a Mini into a sub moa paperpuncher. That is how products are improved. Major manufacturers learn from tinkerers. Sometimes tinkerers come up with something that the manufacturer will pay good money for the rights to use.

How did the Colt 1911 become the gun it is today? Tinkerers played with the platform and learned how to make it more accurate, reliable, hold more ammo, etc.

I would never bemoan a person's desires. I just think they need a dose of reality sometimes. If you want to make your Hi-Point .40 into an IPSC ready competition gun, you need a really big dose of reality.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #14

My mini-30 used to disassemble itself on the range shooting bench while firing. Talk about killing any confidence with the weapon.

However, once I found and corrected the problem, it shot OK. It got better when I firelapped the barrel and the bedded the stock using the NRA guide for the M-1A/M-14 rifles with a steel reinforced nuclear rated epoxy. Killed my first deer with the weapon.

I've since sold it since a) it still wasn't as accurate as any of my AR's and b) I already had an AK clone so didn't need another 7.62x39 weapon. I put it up one day and it just sat for over 10 years; finally just sold it.

Al