Ruger Mini-30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger Mini-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger Mini-30

How do these rifles shoot? The 7.62x39 is no show stopper round but does this weapon shoot more accurate than the typical SKS/AK?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

barrel way to light for these guns just like the mini 14's, there not bad but once they heat up ya cant shoot your way out of a paper sack with them

Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Mini-30

IMHO Ruger centerfires are like Dodges of the 80's. Occasionally they made a good one. Mini-30's (and Mini-14's) tend to be a hit or miss proposition (no pun intended). Some seem to work very well, some are dawgs. My SKS will outshoot every Mini-30 I have ever seen. Until recently Ruger subcontracted barrel making to some unknown maker. My information is they paid $7 for a barrel. I would not expect much out of a $7 barrel. You can accidentally make a good barrel for $7. They are now making their own barrels and seem to have improved greatly.
I cannot see spending $400-$600 on a rifle that is unlikely to out shoot a $200 SKS.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I here they are putting out a target model of the ranch rifle that is supposed to be a shooter, but haven`t seen one yet.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #5

Exactly the type of info I was seeking. Just questioning spending hard earned dollars on a rifle that may not shoot better than an AK or SKS. I'd rather spend the $$ on ammo for practice than a fancy looking launcher.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #6

I agree with most of the post here. I like Ruger revolvers, 22s and most of their bolt actions but the Mini-14/30 even though fun is not known for their accuracy. That and the fact the guns are expensive and high cap mags are hard to find (thanks to their politics). I would go for a SKS or AK if you want a 7.62x39.

Just one mans thoughts!

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think Ruger has a .308 bore rather than the .311 bore you would find in a SKS or an AK. What influence that would have on accuracy would be anyones guess.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

Thumbs up

DSAPT9:

In the last month or two, Ruger has finally released its long-awaited 20-rounder Mini 30 magazines to the public.

They are sold with the new Mini 30s, or separately.

What is almost as unusual is that Ruger only Began selling its larger (20-rd.)
Mini 14 mags to the public after the famous election. Coincidence?

Ruger's previous attitudes about producing larger mags cost them many long-term customers (to ARs, SKS, G-3 etc), who never returned.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #9

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Just what I asked not to happen on the Mini forum." MINI BASHERS "

And from a mod no less..................

Jim......

Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

So I'm "bashing" Minis? I expressed my opinion and related some information I learned from inside sources. That is "bashing".

I have seen some Mini-14's that really surprised me. They were pretty darn accurate.

I have a friend with an older Mini-30 that deer hunts each year with it. He is very satisfied with it.

I owned a stainless Mini-14. Bought it new in about 1983. I had lots of trouble with it. Accuracy was poor or worse. After it came back from Ruger the second time, I did not even shoot it. I immediately traded up (I will not elaborate as to what I consider "up".

Reliable high capacity magazines are hard to find and expensive when you do.

The front sight is difficult to use. The GB sight should be standard (IMHO).

Tell me what was untrue about the above statements?

The idea is a good one. The product has not lived up to the promise.

I did not realize there was a restriction on opinion if the opinion has a factual basis. To "bash" a poster because he is not a fan of the same products you are seems rather infantile. To "bash" Ruger because their products are crap would be disingenuous. Ruger does make some very good products like their .22 rimfires, their single action revolvers, their single shot rifles to name a few. They have put out some dawgs (IMHO) just as Remington has produced some firearms with major issues. Colt can barely keep out of the red. Taurus has a warm and cold rep, especially in the customer service arena. The list goes on and on.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball