Ruger Mini-14 Target rifle??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger Mini-14 Target rifle??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger Mini-14 Target rifle??

First off I'm sure disapointed with Ruger's web site. Cannot find any specs on this weapon or the "harmonic Dampener" or what ever they are calling it.

Does this configuration change the Mini from a 100 yard plinker to a decent target rifle and does changing the set screws on the doo-hicky up front really allow you to adjust for a particular manufacturer's round?

Well the gun felt pretty good at the gun store and that's usually all I need but at $895.00 without glass I thought I best look into it a little more and though I don't post much you guys always have some great info. TY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Does this configuration change the Mini from a 100 yard plinker to a decent target rifle and does changing the set screws on the doo-hicky up front really allow you to adjust for a particular manufacturer's round?
I feel bad that no one has responded to this question. I suppose that's because no one on this forum has direct experience with the Target Model. Here's what I don't get about that version...If the whole "barrel whip" accuracy issue was resolved by the introduction of the new tapered barrel, why did they bother with the Target Model at all? Is it worth the extra money? Not to me. If I was to buy a new one, I think I'd be content with the tapered barrel + just a few extras to ensure accuracy.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A good friend of mine in CO bought one on a whim. He says it shoots way better than expected, compared to a couple of other Minis he owns.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
He says it shoots way better than expected, compared to a couple of other Mini's he owns.
I'm curious...Are his other Mini's of the newer tapered barrel variety?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
I'm curious...Are his other Mini's of the newer tapered barrel variety?
Yes. He never owned an old one.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #6
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, maybe it's worth that $895 price tag after all. I think they look kinda funny though...just personal taste...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
Well, maybe it's worth that $895 price tag after all. I think they look kinda funny though...just personal taste...
I agree. I've been using Minis for about 30 years and love them, but the Target is a bit odd looking to me. My new Mini shoots great, anyway.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the imput guys.. I'm not really aware of Rugers attempts at making the Mini a more accurate weapon by tapering the barrel and such not that it hasn't always been a fun gun. The target model is pretty heavy which is to be expected and the harmonic dampener or whatever might just be something else to be messed with. It is a little pricey out of the gate ($895.00) I think is what the shop had them for and then $400 or $500 at the least for a good piece of glass.

Maybe I will step back and look at bolt action Target/Varmint weapons cause there sure doesn't seem to be much out there in semi. Nature of the beast I guess..

PS... Where does ruger hide the specs for their guns on the Ruger websight. sure is lacking any info of any kind..

Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #9

Wink You tube

Do a search on YouTube for "Ruger's New MINI-14 Target Rifle" it shows a guy tuning in the harmonic and then hitting a gong at 300 yards. This thing is a real tack driver!

Last edited by Kaptin; 04-15-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You can get an AR for not much more I paid $959 for my AR shipped to my FFL and I will blow the doors off any mini out there. Just saying.

The mini has never been known as a accuracy platform.