Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger mini 14 accuracy: GOOD ENOUGH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2655 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
What is the verdict on the newer ones? I heard that the older ones were more accurate, then they made some with a much thinner barrel that was all over the place, and then the newest ones on the shelf now are from Ruger trying to remedy that problem with a switch to a thicker and more accurate barrel.

So what's up?
from the little i know about this, all the models before 580 had a thin barrel. of these old ones, they were "hit or miss" so to speak, in the accuracy department. some claiming MOA, some saying they couldn't hit paper at 100 yards.

ruger re-tooled the mini with the 580 and began using the thicker, tapered barrels. most seem to think accuracy improved, but many think the craftsmanship actually became poorer....

so from what i have come to understand, the older models are better known for craftsmanship & durability...but questionable on accuracy (however, a simple strut is proven to cut groups 50-75%).

the newer models are more accurate out of the box. however, there have been function issues in some runs (tacticals seems to pop up as problems more than the ranch rifles). and the finish is often rough and unattractive.

someone might have other thoughts?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

The Mo-Rod really helps tighten up your groups. One of the best mods you can do for the older Mini's like mine.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkRecluse View Post
The Mo-Rod really helps tighten up your groups. One of the best mods you can do for the older Mini's like mine.

great looking mini! i went with accu-strut for two reasons: it was the orginal, and the stainless match is perfect. but i think both the accu-strut and mo-rod look great. as far as strut performance goes, i think they all the struts do the same thing. i agree a strut is a great investment, especially on the thinner barrels.

if i got another mini in blue, i think i would probably go with the mo-rod/reaper combo. looks really great!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As one of the guys who's accurized untold numbers of Minis I can state that they can be tackdrivers if I do my part and the shooter does theirs. And for well under $800. If your mini shoots decent now, try bedding it and a trigger job, both jobs that I have free videos for on my website. Those little touches can make a big difference even to a good shooting Mini.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDoc View Post
As one of the guys who's accurized untold numbers of Minis I can state that they can be tackdrivers if I do my part and the shooter does theirs. And for well under $800. If your mini shoots decent now, try bedding it and a trigger job, both jobs that I have free videos for on my website. Those little touches can make a big difference even to a good shooting Mini.
good advice, gundoc!

i feel my trigger broke in decently, and considering the accuracy i am already getting, i have delayed on bedding the stock.

but everyone who has a mini SHOULD know, you're THE man when it comes to the mini 14. keep that great advice coming & thanks for the free videos.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's been pointed out that the Mini 14 is not a target rifle---I believe that most objects (or bad guys) out to say, 300 yards or more would be in extreme danger. Good enough for me!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

hawkguy, do these mods work on the mini thirty too? i had a chance a couple of months ago to shoot a friends mini thirty and found that i might buy one if it come along at the right price. my reason for the mini thirty over the mini 14 is that i already have an AR in 223, so i would like something different. BTW, we got 1.5" groups out of it at 100 yards.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Mine has the Mo Rod and the Mo Reaper. Before I put these on she hit what I shot at unless I fire alot of rounds fast , then the groups would open up. After installing the rod and reaper the groups stay tight. I dont shot fast like I use to when I was younger. Mine is a old 181 and I still use open sights.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1156 Times on 742 Posts
Likes Given: 2189

Default Mini 14 Accuracy

Like most people, I always try to get any new gun dialed in and shooting its best. I’ve started dialing my mini with the same process I normally do on any new gun and that’s breaking in the barrel and trying different ammo. With the mini I’m also planning to try some of the things posted by others here like things listed in “Tips on Accurizing the Mini”. At this point though, all the accurizing tips I’m planning are just to see how good this gun can actually shoot. In terms of practical accuracy, this gun is there and I haven’t done anything other than add a scope, break in the barrel, and try two types of cheap ammo. My last group at the range today was 1.156” at 100 yds. with Federal Bulk ammo. I’m sure there are mini’s that don’t shoot well just like there are lemons in all guns, but mine has proved to much more accurate than I ever expected. So I’ve got to agree with Hawkguy and everyone else here that reports of the mini’s not being accurate seem to be exaggerated, at least with the newer ones with the tapered barrel. Again, the accuracy tips I'm going to try next are to see just how good this gun can actually shoot. My groups are almost the size of a dime now, and it's still stock and I'm shooting cheap ammo!!!

12-18-11-group.jpg  

Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #20

Smile

Don't know if it's too late to post on this. The pictures were from a "gun and range report" I did on another forum. The target was shot at 60 yards while sighting in the Millet red dot. I used a front sand bag rest only from a solid bench. The only holes worth looking at were the last 6 to hit the "shoot'n see" target. The one at 12 o'clock was a called flyer. The holes of the paper target were from the sight-in process. The red dot sight on the red dot target didn't help much but I'm happy with it.

The Mini is a 580 series "skinny barrel" I got at Walmart. I added an Accu-strut and and ASI adjustable gas block. It's a keeper!