Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger mini 14 accuracy: GOOD ENOUGH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Default Ruger mini 14 accuracy: GOOD ENOUGH

i started this thread to combat what i perceive as myths regarding mini 14 accuracy.

the truth is, i almost didn't buy a mini 14 after researching the rifle. i would come across examples posters had written all over the web, saying things like "don't bother to scope a mini, you can't even hit a can at 100 yards." or claiming 6" + groups from their minis. and of course "if you want to accurize it, it will cost you $800." and of course the ever famous, "buy an AR." well, i didn't want an AR....still not very interested in them (just a preference).

from my perspective these posts are either made by a small groups of individuals who got a lemon & continue to post over & over, or those who, for whatever reason...hate the firearm.

i'm hoping someone interested in the mini 14 comes accross my post. the mini 14 isn't a perfect rifle, but it is a fine alternative to an AR, and the accuracy is definately "good enough."

my mini is about a 2" shooter. i have no problems hitting what i am for. the only mod i have made is a strut & some minor tinkering. about a $100 bucks invested, not the $800 i keep hearing about.

here's how my 580 series shoots. only mod accustrut and a few cheap fixes.

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-19-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Default steve's mini 14 challenge

here is the 2" challenge a poster gave us at another mini 14 site. the challenge was to put 20 shots inside of 2" with a mini 14 at 100 yards. here is my personal best, 17 of 20. another poster there placed 25 of 25 in 2" on another challenge. using handloads and other mods & techniques, we have many posters knocking on the door of MOA with their mini 14s.

when i first started, i admit my groups were worse. 3-4" probably. but my mini continues to shoot better as it breaks in. and a few simple mods like the ones master p's posts will get your mini shooting. its fun to tinker, and it doesn't cost that much money, if you research and invest the mods that work best.

and i have no idea about that one shot in another zip code! but most people claim groups of 3 for their accuracy. this one is 20, with 17 finding the mark. i'd say that is pretty consistant.

again, not a tack driver or competiton rifle...but you can't hit beer cans at 100? really? 6 inch groups?

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-19-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Default can't hit beer cans?

well, i know my mini can hit a can at 100 yards! i admit, i probably shouldn't have, but after a group left at my range, i set up some "alternative" targets at my range.

blasted the first apple offhand with my red dot at 25 yards. then i walked out to 100 and set up a small melon & another apple. set up the redfield and..

i hit all the fruit on the first shot. think i can't hit a beer can at 100? i destroyed the apple at 100 on the first shot (nothing left to take a pic of)!

bottom line: unless you are obsessed with pinpoint accuracy (competition shooter), you will be plenty happy with the mini 14 accuracy. it will hit what you are aiming for, provided your goal isn't hitting a bottle cap at 100 yards. its a handy little carbine with good practical accuracy.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

post your experiences with mini accuracy...good or bad....and what you have done to help it shoot better. no bashing or over glorifying please....just honest results.

here's mine (you've seen it before in the gallery) with my millet SP1 red dot (got this one used for $25...new they are about $75....a great scope for
the $). it also wears a redfield revolution 2-7 which is a GREAT little scope for the mini imo.

the only mods are accu-strut ($90), even and tourqe gas block (free), rear buffer (near free), and a change to a wood stock (about $50 total) and choate handguard ($15), but really the last two were just aesthetic changes. thinking about bedding, but i am happy with how it shoots, i'm kinda scared to mess with it anymore .

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-19-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I'm not wrong, the mil-spec. for accuracy in a service rifle is 3 MOA.

That said, a Mini-14 was never designed to be a "target" rifle. It does its intended job very well in my experience.

I have an old skinny barrel 183-series that I bought new back in the early 80's that shoots good and hits what I shoot at.

Here's a target I shot at 100-yards using a 30-round mag. with standard factory 55-grain fmj's, firing at a fast pace and using only iron sights. Some might say it's moment of bad guy and I'm fine with that.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What is the verdict on the newer ones? I heard that the older ones were more accurate, then they made some with a much thinner barrel that was all over the place, and then the newest ones on the shelf now are from Ruger trying to remedy that problem with a switch to a thicker and more accurate barrel.

So what's up?

Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine sports Mo-rod with a bipod by the way. I haven't ever done anything to the internal parts. It goes bang every single time I pull the trigger. I can't remember ever having a jam after thousands of rounds. I have around $400 in the gun as it sits.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-19-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very fine shootin'!

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #9

Default ALSO: use good ammo

the mini is normally a finicky beast when it comes to ammo. i think many people get upset because they buy the bargin basement plinking ammo & then expect MOA. the targets i shot were using premium match ammo, i don't get those results using cheap plinking ammo myself. and those who hand load seem to be able to pull the best accuracy out of a mini.

to me, lack of accuracy is not a reason to avoid the mini. its as accurate (or more so), than most any autoloader in its class (exception AR) imo, the only reason to avoid a mini is because of ruger, but again that's just mo.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
If I'm not wrong, the mil-spec. for accuracy in a service rifle is 3 MOA.

That said, a Mini-14 was never designed to be a "target" rifle. It does its intended job very well in my experience.

I have an old skinny barrel 183-series that I bought new back in the early 80's that shoots good and hits what I shoot at.

Here's a target I shot at 100-yards using a 30-round mag. with standard factory 55-grain fmj's, firing at a fast pace and using only iron sights. Some might say it's moment of bad guy and I'm fine with that.
that's really good imo for iron sights and fmj at 100 yards. for irons, i'm only good to about 50 myself. my eyes have never been good enough with irons at 100. good shooting!