Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Not that I am a Mini-14 hater. I owned 3 SS versions back in the 80's. The least accurate rifles I ever owned. I was once able to hit the broadside of a barn, but I was standing inside the barn! Of course that is a gross exageration.

The new generations are far better than the trash Ruger put out in the 80's.
I once put an inexpensive red dot sight on a B-Square mount and attached it to a friend's Mini. WOW! That it what that little carbine was made for. I would like to have that rifle.

Mags are far too expensive and good ones are far too hard to find.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #32
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I haven't ever had any problems with the mags,I've got 3 aftermarket 1-20rd & 2-30rd,but then I bought them back in 1980 and have replaced the springs and followers once or twice,but they have always worked OK. I don't shoot it much anymore,the Saiga is now my truck/close range varmit gun,I have always taken care of the Mini and it still looks new.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #33

Thumbs up

Txhillbilly:
I like your style.
Having never hunted, my only desire is to one day count a
large feral hog dead! With the basic iron sights (have no gear).

Mini 14, 30, SKS, MN 44s. Bravely protecting a river from floating fruit.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Txhillbilly:
I like your style.
Having never hunted, my only desire is to one day count a
large feral hog dead! With the basic iron sights (have no gear).

Mini 14, 30, SKS, MN 44s. Bravely protecting a river from floating fruit.
I've only ever hunted with open sights. It's not that difficult, especially with hogs. They're damn near blind, and their hearing sucks. As long as you stay down wind of them, you can stalk in really close. If you've got a couple buddies and sync your shots just right, you can knock down quite a few pigs even before they realize that a round has left a rifle.

If it's legal to use suppressors in your state, you might even be able to get a second volley off before they break and run.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #35

Thanks Matt, for the basic tips.
Don't yet know anybody who hunts anything besides deer or pheasant, here in western TN.
After I finish paying a friend (still on the Navy Rifle Team) for all his 1300 rds. of cheap x39 ammo, will check into a muzzle brake or whichever.

His brother sneaked up on a pig in washed out terrain in south TX with only a handgun and killed it with one shot.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #36
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow at lot of bad concerning the mini 14? I own two and find them spot on at 200 yards. One is Stailess steel with a folding stock and the other is "ranch gun" both are fun to shoot, hit what aimed at and rugged. I've never had a barrle issue and mag are easy to get for about $20 - $30 depending on the capacity. I also have two AR's and while I'm far more fimilar with that rifle, they cost twice as much and do about the same job.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #37

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Mini 14

I have a newer 580 series Mini 14 and it genrerally shoots just within 3" groups at 100 yards with a Leupold VXI 2-7X30mm scope. Much better than the one my brother had in the 1970's. You would be lucky to get 6" groups with the older 180 series guns. This Is a good ranch rifle and it will get the job done at 100 yards or less, Plus, they are not prone to dirt and muck bothering with them. In the 1970's, my brother had the ruger mini-14 and I had a AR-15. We threw them in the tool boxes of the ranch trucks and pretty much left them in there. With all the daily jobs of chains, come-a-longs, tools, and other equipment being thrown in and out of these trucks these rifles looked 100 years old within months. When I finally needed to use my AR, nearly a year later, it was so plugged up with crap and generally broken up it was useless. My brothers,yes considerably inaccurate, Mini-14, also terribly beaten up, after banging it on the bumper of the truck and clearing the barrel of dirt chunks, would fire, and accurately enough to dispatch a couple of ferral dogs that had mauled a calf. It unfortunately was used put the calf down also. I threw my AR-15 into a 20' deep drainage canal and my brother totally cleaned up his Mini-14 and made a few repairs and it worked fine until he sold it. We didnt put our rifles into the tool box after that and put them in a rack behind the seats of our ranch trucks from then on. I dont believe I just told that story, but it's true. My brother and I were real dumb a**'s for doing that to those rifles, particulary because we knew better. I digress: The point I'm trying to make here is that gas impengment actions really need to be kept super clean to reliably function and the Garrand type action albeit considerably less accurate can really take a beating and alot of neglect and usually still function. At least by my past experience. By the way, a couple of weeks after I threw my AR in the canal I picked up a old M1 Garrand beater that I threw into the newly installed rack behind the seat of my ranch truck.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-01-2009 at 04:36 AM.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #38

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The major problems I see with the newer 580 series as well as the older 180 series Mini-14's is the stock and the trigger. The stocks are so compact and undersized that most people would benefit with stack plates added to butt to correct the pull. The older 180 sreies have the same stock. The triggers are terrible as with most all guns from the factory for the last 20 years or so. Lawyer Triggers. A trigger job is well needed on these rifles. These two things, I feel, would make this rifle more ergonomically comfortable. Bedding would probably help also. I know an AR out of the box would still be more accurate, but these above mentioned mods, which are fairly inexpensive to have done, I believe would help the Mini-14 alot. Anyhow, thats my 2 cents worth. This little rifle does fill a nitch and fills it quite well.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-01-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #39

Being sort of new to all of this, unlike you guys, simply owning and shooting the Mini 14, 30 (plus SKS, MN 44s + old Savage .22) at floating objects deep down in a small river never gets old or boring.

It's just too bad that cheap Wolf .223 prices have escalated a good bit more than cheap x39. Can't imagine shooting much .223 often through a high-priced AR, unless as an LEO and the ammo is free, or a relative has the right job at Remington in Little Rock or at Wolf...

Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #40

Of 3 that I have owned( key word "owned" past tence) A GB, a stainless new style w/ a Butler Creek Folder and 180- series Liberty Modle , ZERO were "quality guns". The grouping was pathetic, I have 10/22 that grouped better at 75 yards. I figure after 3 of them Im done trying to find a good 1. Bite the AR15 bullet and forget about rugers biggest failure.

jsut my .02